X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chagos ruling overturned by Lords

Cunts.

Weren't they the heroes of democracy last week?

Comment

So, the "principle" here is that if righting what the Government itself admits was an inexcusable wrong might result in said Government being out of pocket, then the word of Britain's highest legal authority is "Never mind".

What The Horse said.

Comment

I agree with that too. I'm assuming not much in the way of compensation has been given in the past- sufficient though it apparently was.

Comment

I didn't realise that this thread was here. Anyway, cunts (reprise).

Comment

Still no-go...

Comment

ICJ rules in favour of Mauritius - the Chagossians would surely prefer Mauritian rule, given their current predicament?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...ml#commentsDiv

Comment

The US-UK presence contributes “to guaranteeing the security of the Indian Ocean itself, from which all neighbouring states benefit, including Mauritius,” Mr Rycroft said.
                Fuckers, we're keeping it for your own good.

Comment

The ICJ hasn't ruled.

The UN General Assembly voted to refer the dispute to the ICJ

Comment

The ICJ will decide on this today. Interestingly, the UK government will use the defence that the ruling is "not legally binding and advisory only" if it goes against them. Where have I heard that before?
                    Judges at the International Court of Justice in The Hague are set to rule today on the legal dispute between Britain and its former colony Mauritius over the fate of the Chagos archipelago. The ICJ judges will rule on the legal consequences of the seperation of the Chagos Archipelago from Mauritius in

Comment

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1100058097710784515

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1100058097710784515

Comment

Thanks for that and, yes, great news. However, as I say, watch the UK wriggle out of it.

Comment

The Today programme on radio 4 this morning called the numbers of people involved as a handful. Fucking propaganda for the state.

Congratulations on this win to all the Chagossians and I really hope this means they can return home.

Sadly it won't and the USA will continue to bomb the rest of the world from Diego Garcia .

Comment

It's an advisory ruling, no wriggling necessary. It will have no more effect than innumerable ECHR rulings post the x case had on irish abortion policy. There will be a statement in the Commons and that's that. Brazen is as brazen does.

Comment

Ask I intimated upthread, the Brexit referendum was also ruled advisory and not legally binding.

Comment

USA, UK, Hungary, Israel, Maldives, Australia. And that's all.

There's your quiz question ...

Comment

The Maldives? FFS! What have they been bribed with?

Comment

Have they got some beef with Mauritius perhaps?

Comment

I looked them up this morning on reading this news. The newish government is making a conscious effort to look towards Europe/the US as its protector, rather than China (as the previous government had done). They;re also applying I think to rejoin the commonwealth. I suspect that is behind this.

Comment

It's always grimly fascinating to look out for those isolated countries that vote with the US/UK and against almost everyone else in the world when there's a motion like this, or similar routine ones on Palestine or the Cuba blockade, as it generally tells you who's angling for a particular trade deal at any given time.

Comment

The FSM votes with the US on everything, partly because it is still in many ways a US colony (I mean not officially, but it's still very closely tied to the US). What's fascinating here is that they (or the CNMI or the Marshalls etc) didn't vote according to the US's wishes. Can't remember the last time that this will have happened.

Comment

The CNMI don't get a vote as they're not a UN member (it's probably Palau you're thinking of there who're also under the Compact of Free Association, I believe). Although if they did go for Compact/UN membership, they'd fall in the same camp. Constitutionally they're a bit more like Guam.

On the Chagos, it's much closer to the Maldives geographically than Mauritius. Slightly cynical but they might also have an eye on who it gets handed to once the US and UK are ever done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                              It's always grimly fascinating to look out for those isolated countries that vote with the US/UK and against almost everyone else in the world when there's a motion like this, or similar routine ones on Palestine or the Cuba blockade, as it generally tells you who's angling for a particular trade deal at any given time.
                                              This is also true of who happens to join Japan and Norway on whaling rights, too. It's almost always very small countries whose GDP can be materially increased by very small investments from those two countries.

But if your allies at the UN aren't even bribed, but instead are basically only Netanyahu, Trump and Orban, you probably ought to stop and have a think and a moment of self-reflection.

Comment

More cuntery of the highest magnitude. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...q8R9cyxmPXXRZI

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                  More cuntery of the highest magnitude. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...q8R9cyxmPXXRZI
                                                  I'd like to go back to my country but I can't as you've illegally built an airstrip there and sublet it out to another country.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X