Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nine Lessons and Nine Carols for Godless People.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stewart lee mention on the stand-up thread reminded me about this;

Last year, Robin Ince made the mistake of appearing on ITV’s London Talking to debate “Is Britain becoming more secular?” By the time he got to the studio, the subject had changed to “Who is taking the Christ out of Christmas?”

Suffice to say, he got quite cross during the barrage of lies from radio shock jocks and misinformed fundamentalists. Robin tried to make it clear that, as an atheist, he wasn’t against Christmas as a time for gluttony and reflection; he was just against the journalists and manipulated fundamentalists shouting about winterval and other myths. This was beyond Stephen Green of Christian Voice’s comprehension, so he kept muttering, “I don’t think he does want Christmas blah blah blah”.

Well, to prove that he does enjoy this season of laziness, alcoholism and regret, he is presenting a rational celebration of the Christmas season in the guise of Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People. Rather than talking of Jesus’s birth, acclaimed science author Simon Singh will talk about the birth of the universe. Instead of talking about Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh, Bad Science Columnist Ben Goldacre will talk of alternative medicine and charlatans, while Josie Long will talk about the wonder of the stars.

So far the confirmed speakers are Stewart Lee, Mark Thomas, Ricky Gervais, Justin Edwards, Chris Addison, Ben Goldacre, Simon Singh, Josie Long, Jo Neary and Richard Dawkins.

Music will be provided by the fabulous Martin White Orchestra and more TBC

The evening will also include projections of classic archive footage of Carl Sagan and Richard Feynman.

Robin Ince will host the night.

It’s not just for agnostics and atheists, hopefully it will be a night celebrating the wonder of the universe so as long as you’re not a crazed fundamentalist you can enjoy it. If you are a crazed fundamentalist, then please come and hold a placard up outside and shout like a halfwit.

Please check the New Humanist website on the 24th October for more details of confirmed acts.

It's sold out, I think, sadly.

I say "sadly", though to me the idea seems a bit lame. But that's a decent line-up however you slice it.

Comment

Well, apart from Josie fucking Long.

Comment

So long as Josie Long doesn't break into song.

Edit: Cross post. Great minds, etc

Comment

decent =/= flawless. I'm not a big Mark Thomas fan either. If it was Mark Steel...

Comment

On a similar note, can someone go onto the Jerry Sadowitz website and ascertain if his December shows in London include magic or are just straight comedy?

My office firewall won't let me onto the site ("Reason: Tasteless").

Comment

His site doesn't seem to say either way, but here's what the Soutbank Centre blurb says:
              Comedian, magician and psychopath, Jerry Sadowitz brings his confrontational show straight from the Edinburgh Festival to Southbank Centre. Well known for his provoking stand-up comedy, Jerry Sadowitz is also one of the best sleight of hand artists on the planet, and this performance is a whirlwind of comedy, magic and borderline psychopathic behaviour. No-one is safe...

Please note: this performance is for over 18s only.

'Often shocking, stand-up comedy's only genius... compelling, hilarious, unpredictable and unmissable...the funniest comedian in the country' (Guardian).

'Truly dangerous, gutsy, improvised comedy, the unrestrained Sadowitz in full flow is worth a hundred Harry Enfields' (Evening Standard).

Comment

Cool, thanks.

Comment

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                  It's sold out, I think, sadly.

I say "sadly", though to me the idea seems a bit lame. But that's a decent line-up however you slice it.
                  I think they sold out two Bloomsbury Theatre shows and this is the extra date that went on sale last week. Although I suppose Ricky Gervais' mooted addition might have sent the tickets flying.

It might be rubbish but it's worth a punt.

Comment

Dear me, that line-up looks poor. The ones I've heard of, anyway. I've heard Dawkins on his god-botherer-baiting jag, and it is tedious and embarrassing.

But I wouldn't go no matter what the line-up. I don't want to celebrate Christmas. I don't celebrate Christmas. It means nothing to me except a massive pain in the arse (although in my youth it meant treble overtime, which was nice.)

Comment

Whereas I like Dawkins and fucking love Christmas (me).

Comment

Christmas is brilliant.

Comment

Winterval is better.

Comment

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                            Whereas I like Dawkins and fucking love Christmas (me).
                            Well exactly, and Xmas with all of that troublesome religion nonsense obscuring what it's really all about is just perfect.

Comment

Bah

Comment

But it is (humbug, I mean, not homburg). Go on, justify it. Why should I take any notice of the whole sorry farrago, eh?

Comment

Up to you like.

Comment

No reason at all. Thing is, you get one day that is much like every other except for your increased levels of seething indignation. I get presents, excited kids, smoked salmon and quails eggs, roast goose, roast veg, pears in port & cinnamon, mince pies, Christmas pud, brandy butter, lots of wine and port and brandy and stuff, more mince pies a nice walk if the weather's favourable and then a big extra special episode of Doctor Who that this year features Dervla Kirwan.

Frankly, I win.

Comment

Goose, eh? Another turkey year for us, 2008, sadly.

Comment

Never had turkey for Christmas, never will.

Comment

I forgot to mention the goose terrine from off of out of the River Cottage Year, too.

Comment

It's always very good, I must admit: free range Norfolk Bronze, all full of flavour and stuff. But nothing compared to a goose.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                              I forgot to mention the goose terrine from off of out of the River Cottage Year, too.
                                              In goose years, I always do Elizabeth David's rillettes.

Comment

So whose choice was it?

Comment

Do the terrine. It's insanely hard work, like all HF-W's recipes, but unusually is entirely worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X