Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What just happened to the talkpunk thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was reading it and it just disappeared.

Perhaps an admin decided no good could come of it. None had so far, for sure.

Comment

I'd sort of got that impression after 4 pages, too.

What happened to just locking a thread?

Comment

Thank you, admins, thank you

In saying that, it does rather fly in the face of our "no censorship" claims

Comment

Well, now I want to know what was so awful it had to be deleted.

Can someone give me a precis of pages 5-8?

Comment

They ended up talking about cats. Seriously.

Comment

That was the first genuinely funny thread we've had in the last two years.

Comment

Poor show deleting it all, I'd just got on to the all important duck tape/duct tape issue.

Comment

What is talkpunk?

Comment

This has messed my Google Alerts right up.

Comment

Gah - I got diverted by some work (of all things) and didn't see anything after my post - has my generic tape branding reference been challenged?

Comment

I think the problem may have been that it was developing into a gang-up.

Comment

It's Duck Tape.

Comment

No it isn't.

Comment

The website admins union: second only to the goalkeeper's in terms of unity. "Make snide remarks about one of us, you make them about all of us". We have been warned.

Comment

AG may be right. Or possibly not. Wikipedia says:

The origin of the term "duct tape" is the subject of some disagreement.

One view[13][14] is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers because it was made from cotton duck, from which their tents, tarpaulins, ponchos and other equipment were made. The word "duck" was commonly used for camping equipment fabrics until synthetics replaced cotton. Some suggest that the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house, where tents were forgotten and ductwork needed sealing, not ammunition cases. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive version. The Oxford English Dictionary says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape." This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March of 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 ad for surplus government property.[15]

The other view is that "duct tape" is the original term, since there are many documented uses of that term which pre-date all documented uses of the term "duck tape" for the adhesive-backed product, and that there is no written evidence supporting the WWII story.[16] Some proponents of this view accept the idea that there was an earlier non-adhesive "duck tape", but claim that people have just confused the similar pronunciation of two similar but unrelated products through the process of elision, and that the rest of the "duck" etymology is folklore or fabrication. This view was summarized most notably in a Boston Globe article by etymologist Jan Freeman, also in March of 2003.

Comment

it all makes mock of my claim that we don't do censorship here..

Comment

http://www.duckproducts.com/

Duck Tape, Oo-oo
                                    Tapes of derring-do, bad and good luck tapes, oo-oo

Comment

Scroll down that page, my friend. You may just possibly have undercut yourself by posting a link to something that markets itself as "Duck Brand Duct Tape".

Comment

A few things, AG my old china.

1. I'm not going to scroll down that page. not for you, not for no one.

2. I was referring to Duck Tape. This is Duck Tape (Oo-oo).

3. That is all.

Comment

Carcass
                                          What is talkpunk?
                                          Err, nothing, Carcass, nothing

Comment

Well, just as long as nobody uses this new thread to say things like "Miss Dayglo is a hyper-officious busybody" which will show up in Google Alerts, we should be fine...

Comment

Needs more lib.....oh, forget it.

Comment

"Miss Dayglo is a hyper-officious busybody"?

Why would anyone want to say that Miss Dayglo is a hyper-officious busybody? Would there be some kind of problem if Miss DayGlo were a hyper-officious busybody?

See, not having read those last four pages, I could be prone to making terrible faux pas in this new thread...

Comment

Now, I don't know MsD personally, but in her short time here she struck me as the needy type who would gain a lot of inner contentment from a high post count. I suspect the humiliation of going from a rapidly attained 27 OTF posts to a big fat zero (when the thread was removed) may have toppled her over the edge and led to fluent german rantings elsewhere in cyberspace.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X