The joy of internet dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not actually "dating" on line anymore, as I did manage to find somebody young, sexy, intelligent and caring, who is also watching what I'm typing from over my shoulder.

However, having signed up to the site I met my current girlfriend through, I still get messages posted to me by the site saying "this girl might be for you". It posts up their own introductory messages to potential suitors.

Here's today's:

"a person how needs takin out im a young 34 how love cuddles walks music very loud night clubs ,horra films lee evens he the best have a dog she my baby to and 2 cats. hates money liers loves campin with my kids and dog my club rock music and dream to live in darbyshire and best pass time fun fun water fights just being mad and enjoyin life"

Hmm, "dream to live in darbyshire", wow!

I'm sure these people are perfectly capable of writing proper sentences if they put their minds to it.

Comment

I wouldnt bet on it TT. I dont know what your online life is like, but if it is half as wide-ranging as mine, you will know that THAT (above) is closer to the norm.

Comment

Oh absolutely. But I always think they're putting it on.

Comment

The one that got away

Comment

You bugger, now I have to spend the rest of the night watching Smack the Pony clips.

Comment

cue Stockard Channing: #There are worse things I could do...#

Comment

That is terrifyingly typical, and I bet the photo would be even worse.

Comment

gerontophile wrote:
                  cue Stockard Channing: #There are worse things I could do...#
                  Cheers, geront. That's dragged up my Grease-era Stockard Channing infatuation all over again.

Comment

I have one (ok, not entirely true) from The West Wing... I think she is fantastic.

Comment

I still would, if I'm honest.

Comment

Millionaires... So, what do you think? Love them or hate them?

Would it help if you had one? Who (claims to) love you?

I think I may have one, through no fault of my own... and you know, I couldnt give a shit for the money. I am being offered EVERYTHING, and I mean everything.

I sort of already know the answer to this, but as I sit here, I am perplexed in the sense of, why me? I dont want their money, but they are doing everything in their power to have me (and perhaps, obviously, fuck off, and thats fine)

Meantime, I actually like the person, or he wouldnt be here. Should I accept the fine food (not in Bournemouth) or should, as I have, let him know how I live? person concerned seems to be quite sensible. I cooked him some serious Szechwan pork (black bean sauce, dont ask, I am not going to tell you), and they feel no pain.

I am being offered the world... should I accept? Dont get me wrong, the person concerned would not be here if I didnt like... him.

I am being offered holidays, and cruises, and delights of someone elses mind. I understand why he is saying this. But that/this isnt why I like him... I like him because he makes me laugh my bits off.

Any ideas, people?

The love thing is a kicker: I have known this person for about 3 months, and we have met a few times

Comment

If you like him (a lot), and he wants to take you on holiday, where's the problem?

Comment

What he said, really. It's probably impossible for the money thing not to come up here and there, but all you can do is be relaxed about it and not take the piss.

Comment

Thanks, those two answers were exactly what I expected, and what I know to be right.

I wouldn't know how to take the piss anyway. My needs are simple: football, occasional dinner out and the odd 'you look good in that shirt' type thing. Job done.

Comment

My flatmate has just met someone online (and he has been to see him in reality).

They apparently got on great, but my mate had to stay at an hotel... what does that say to you? Knowing the (gay) world, I know exactly what it says to me...

Comment

He's married.

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

Wonderful, TonTon.

Comment

In reply to Gerontophile on going out with someone much richer than you, I think you just have to deal with it. My GF probably took home 3 or 4 times what I did last year (and it'll be more this year as my company has severe cashflow probs right now). As long as you both know where you stand, it's not a problem. Your millionaire is probably not in the least bothered that you can't match him in the spending stakes, and is willing to pay for you both to enjoy the stuff that he enjoys, so go along with it.

There's no point being proud, because that just means you miss out on him, he misses out on you, you both miss out on doing something you'd enjoy.

Comment

OK, I must be naive, because I really did think it meant he was married.

Comment

Quite.

Comment

I 'met' my girlfriend playing Day of Defeat, an online computer game loosely based on WWII. We've been going out for a year and a half now.

I should add that we actually see each other now. Er. I mean, in real life. Look, it's not weird ok?

[Edit: Damn iPhone]

Comment

Which one of you was the sniper, and which was the stromtrooper? That could be a new way of defining roles in a modern relationship.

Comment

SniperWolf2, reporting for duty.

Ahh, it's almost refreshing, this feeling of a weightlifted as I lose any credibility that I once had.

I console myself with the fact that we are currently exchanging filthy texts.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X