Oddest magazine you've found in a waiting room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went for my annual check up this morning at the dentist and with time to kill gazed upon the array of magazines in the waiting room. It was here that a strange publication caught my eye.

Freemasonry Today was prominent amongst the array of Sunday supplements and withered Gossip mags, published as the official journal of the United Grand Lodge of England.

A brief retrospective look on their website revealed that this magazine was issued to all members (although I had never considered the prospect of this being on sale at WH Smiths) which begs this question. How did it get there? On seeing my dentist and hygienist (both female) it certainly would not have come from them so it must have been a patient, or some other supreme being.

On thinking that this could have been the Masonic equivalent of leaving state secrets on the Tube, there was nothing on codes, signs, handshakes or where I could even get a nice bunch of Forget-Me-Nots. I was mildly disappointed as it turned out to be nothing more than a collection of photos of various dignitaries attending a variety of functions looking peachy in their regalia (including the inevitable Duke of Kent).

I didn’t get to finish it to see if there was a Sudoku on the back page or a crossword with a special prize (such as honorary membership or a nice apron). But it’s still the strangest magazine I’ve come across in a waiting room.

Anyone beat this?

ykikamoocow wrote:
    peachy in their regalia
    I didn't know Frank Zappa was a mason.

Comment

He was the Grand Wazoo..

Comment

The barber I went to as a kid had SEA POWER: The Magazine of the US Navy Foundation (sort of a USN alumni group). But contrary to what you might expect, it wasn't all about flag-waving and sheding a manly tear for our fallen heroes. It was mostly technical stuff that Tom Clancy might whack off to - detailed discussions about new jet fighters and submarines, with the occasional historical piece about the battle of Midway or whatever.

I liked reading about the jet fighters.

Comment

I found the BNP's colour (ho ho) magazine "Identity" among the Hellos and Take A Breaks upon my first visit to my current GP.

Comment

I went for a haircut while visiting Bolton a few years ago and there was a Bryan Robson annual from about 1983.

Comment

Working...
            X