Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cider

Really? It's labeled as a malt liquor here.

Comment

Cider

What does that mean?

Comment

Cider

SamLKelly wrote:
        Spearmint Rhino wrote:
        I can't remember a time when cider hasn't been advertised on telly.
        I can't remember a time when Strongbow and Blackthorn weren't advertised on telly, but calling Strongbow and Blackthorn 'cider' is akin to calling MK Dons a 'football club'.
        What the fuck?

And Benson & Hedges and Marlboro aren't 'cigarettes' now, I suppose.

Comment

Cider

Malt liquor is a North American term referring to a type of beer with high alcohol content
          Well I never knew that. "Malt liquor" means "strong beer".

Comment

Cider

Ehh...malt liquor--the stuff that gets sold in 40 oz. bottles--often has a lot of crap added to it. It's really gross.

Comment

Cider

What exactly are sulphites in the context of "brewing", why are they in my white cider, and why do the manufacturers feel obliged to tell me this in large writing?

Comment

Cider

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                SamLKelly wrote:
                Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                I can't remember a time when cider hasn't been advertised on telly.
                I can't remember a time when Strongbow and Blackthorn weren't advertised on telly, but calling Strongbow and Blackthorn 'cider' is akin to calling MK Dons a 'football club'.
                What the fuck?

And Benson & Hedges and Marlboro aren't 'cigarettes' now, I suppose.
                I wouldn't venture an opinion on that, I've never smoked. I think you know what I'm getting at, though - they're horrible, basically. I've got plenty of beer / lager-drinking friends who'll only touch Foster's or Carling as a last resort (if that), and the two 'big' ciders are the same sort of thing in an appley context, if you will.

Strongbow I can sometimes stomach but still prefer to avoid. Blackthorn actually disagrees with me - no snobbishness here, I genuinely can't drink it, it's far too gassy and it tastes (to me) of... well I'm not sure what it tastes of, but they're not apples.

Comment

Cider

Cider is vile stuff, usually either too acrid or too sweet to stomach, let alone enjoy. To taste it is to recall painful moments heaving up outside (and sometimes inside) sixth form discos, or, going further back, 'treats' of sips from my dad's 2-litre weekend cider ration.

Comment

Cider

SamLKelly wrote:
                    The best of the lot, for me, is Westons Stowford Press. You're unlikely to find it in tap outside the Westcountry, but if you ever see it, give it a try - it's absolutely beautiful.
                    Ah yes, quality stuff - some of the cash n'carry places like Makro and Costco often do cases of 6x660ml bottles which I take advantage of.

Last time I had it on draught was the pub next to Tintern Abbey - can't remember the name of it but it has some farm critters in a pen next to it.

Comment

Cider

Wiki says:

There are two different products by the name of Smirnoff Ice. One, sold in France and the United States, is a citrus-flavoured malt beverage (5.5% ABV) with variants in 'Original,' and 'Triple Black.' The other, sold in Europe (excluding France), Latin America, Australia and Canada, is a premixed vodka drink.

Comment

Cider

I'm not much of a cider drinker, but this stuff is lovely:

I discovered it by accident at a beer festival, ironically enough.

Comment

Cider

It is rather nice, isn't it.

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                          Wiki says:

There are two different products by the name of Smirnoff Ice. One, sold in France and the United States, is a citrus-flavoured malt beverage (5.5% ABV) with variants in 'Original,' and 'Triple Black.' The other, sold in Europe (excluding France), Latin America, Australia and Canada, is a premixed vodka drink.
                          This has been confusing me since it was first brought up. Why on earth is it called Smirnoff ice, if it hasn't got any Smirnoff in it? If you ordered a rum and coke at a bar and they gave you a malt beer you'd get them to try it again and get it right this time, so why does the same not apply to something that comes in a bottle?

Comment

Cider

It's just a marketing/brand thing. There are also alcopops branded by Bacardi and Skyy. I guessing a reason that explains the absence of the brand liquor in these drinks is because of advertising rules--when they first came out, you could not advertise for hard liquor on TV. I think the laws have been loosened, so you see Captain Morgan ads on cable, but I think that the networks might still limit what they run, and at what times.

The success of Smirnoff Ice and the other flavored malt liquors like that really make me think that Zima was about 15 years ahead of its time. I remember people mercilessly making fun of Zima when it came out. It would be a huge thing now.

Comment

Cider

The other reason for the alcopops having the composition that they do is that, in some states, you can sell beer/wine in grocery/convenience stores. Keeping any amount of hard liquor out of the drink allows them to reach a broader market. If they included actual vodka/rum/etc., most states would only allow them to be sold in the state run liquour stores.

Also, Zima would not do any better now because it would still taste like vomit.

Comment

Cider

I never tasted Zima, but I've tasted some of these drinks. They're like sweat with a bunch of sugar added.

Comment

Cider

I've never even heard of Zima. Or Skyy.

Comment

Cider

Skyy is a brand of Vodka.

Looking up Zima on Wikipedia, apparently it was still produced until this year. I thought it disappeared in the mid-90s along with Crystal Pepsi. I'm surprised, because it became such a joke. But I guess people must have been buying it if it was produced until just recently.

Comment

Cider

I won a denim shirt with Zima Z on the back in a quiz in the observation car of the train between Denver and San Francisco back in 1996. I still wear it occasionally...

Comment

Cider

Try Guinness and Cider - very tasty indeed but don't forget to wear old trousers and a pair of gloves as you will probably have to crawl home.

Tip for the barman - pour the black stuff first or else you get a ridiculous foaming liquid that bubbles out of the glass requiring like five pints of stout before it settles down.

Comment

Cider

Hobbes, your crown of Booze Wrongness has been usurped.

Comment

Cider

That's just a poor man's Black Velvet, innit? But seeing as even a rich man's Black Velvet sounds unspeakably disgusting then yeah, I'm with Wyatt on that one. Oh, and loose cannon has to go and sit on teh naughty step for referring to Guinness as 'the black stuff'.

Next year is the 250th anniversary of Guinness. The paddywack industry is going to be the only thing keeping the recession at bay. It's going to be awful. Keynesian economics will require all people to buy and wear those big pint-of-guiness hats as a way to stimulate the flow of capital.

Comment

Cider

Blackthorn tastes of peanuts, for some reason.

I think I mentioned the Coronation Tap (The Corrie Tap to most) in Bristol before, it used to do a selection of nice ciders, from cloudy to honey. The only one I drank was Exhibition, which was strong enough to require it to be sold only in half pints. I can still taste the hangovers I'd get from it.

Comment

Working...
                                              X