Iconoclastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iconoclastic

One of those words which, as often as not, is used wrongly.

Take, for example, this piece of Royal Festival Hall blurb about a gig I'm going to be attending tomorrow night:

John Cale, composer, co-founder of the Velvet Underground and producer of Nico's most renowned albums presents an iconoclastic tribute to this beloved icon.

A very special line-up of artists including James Dean Bradfield (Manic Street Preachers), Guillemots, Mark Lanegan, The Fiery Furnaces, Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse), Peter Murphy (Bauhaus), Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance), Liz Green and Nick Franglen, re-imagine her songs in this unique event.
    Now, it's possible that the concert will "break or destroy images, esp. those set up for religious veneration" and "attack cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition"... but somehow I don't think that's the vibe they're going for. Indeed, quite the opposite.

Other words which are frequently misused like this?

Iconoclastic

I was thinking about this just the other day, but mainly thought of phrases, such as "begs the question". It'd come up in an article in which it meant nothing like its usual definition.

What does the author of that piece intend iconoclastic to mean there? I don't get it.

Comment

Iconoclastic

"An iconoclastic tribute to this beloved icon"?

If John Cale doesn't come out and tell everyone what a daft cow she was, I'd file that under "comically illiterate".

Comment

Iconoclastic

Ibn Pickthall wrote:
        I was thinking about this just the other day, but mainly thought of phrases, such as "begs the question". It'd come up in an article in which it meant nothing like its usual definition.

What does the author of that piece intend iconoclastic to mean there? I don't get it.
        I think they're grasping after something which means "reaffirms and celebrates the subject's iconic status" rather than shatters it. Off the top of my head I don't know what that word would be, but 'iconoclastic' ain't it.

Comment

Iconoclastic

I've come across quite a few examples of cinema writing in which the expression 'mise-en-scene' is clearly used in reference to a film's ethos or ethical theme. Basically what's behind the making of it.

As I understand it, however, the expression literally relates to the exact opposite - what's in front of the camera, in terms of actors, sets, props and how they are used by the director.

Comment

Iconoclastic

Many, many, many sportscasters and journalists use "ironic" when they mean "coincidentally."

Comment

Iconoclastic

Yeah, and so does Alannis Morisette

Comment

Iconoclastic

I don't like the word "icon" much in the first place. I know it's a metaphor but it ought not to lose its root completely and accordingly seems a bit strong for a footballer or a musician. I don't necessarily want to smash up icons though- more people who keep saying "icon".

"Crescendo" is very often misused. It doesn't mean the highest point, it means the process of rising to it.

Comment

Iconoclastic

"Iconic" is horribly overused and much misused nowadays, isn't it. When broadcasters use it, they tend just to mean "well-known".

Comment

Iconoclastic

Indeed. It should be kept for the likes of those Rothkos we'll be going to see sometime.

Comment

Iconoclastic

-

Comment

Iconoclastic

And just after I hit "Send", I find that Momus is giving a talk on the subject next Tuesday. Might be quite good, actually.

Nico is iconic, but the old clip of that elephant shitting on the Blue Peter floor is not "an iconic moment".

Comment

Iconoclastic

Christ, I too hate 'iconic' in its most common use these days - used as it tends to be to describe merely people who are famous for something or other. "Oh I love Madonna cos she's such an icon" etc.

As for other wrongly-used words, "fulsome" pops up far more often, and inappropriately, than it should.

Comment

Iconoclastic

"Exclusive" is bandied about about far too much.

Leaving aside the tenous nature of exclusive pictures, interviews etc, estate agents or, indeed, celebrity magazines use of,for instance, "exclusive Hampstead house"

Thinking about it, "celebrity" is misused greatly as is "personality" as in TV personality

Comment

Iconoclastic

the royal festival hall writer seems to think "iconoclastic" means something like "icontastic".

Comment

Iconoclastic

I think they're grasping after something which means "reaffirms and celebrates the subject's iconic status" rather than shatters it.

You're probably right, but could they mean instead that the concert will challenge, or break conventional cultural mores? That would, very broadly, fit iconoclastic.

Comment

Iconoclastic

Enormity. Aargh but this one winds me up.

Comment

Iconoclastic

Arrogant. As used by anyone that has lost an argument but still believes themselves to be right.

Comment

Iconoclastic

"Indeed. It should be kept for the likes of those Rothkos we'll be going to see sometime".

Now there's a coincidence.

Check your PM's Tubby.

Comment

Iconoclastic

Christ, I too hate 'iconic' in its most common use these days - used as it tends to be to describe merely people who are famous for something or other. "Oh I love Madonna cos she's such an icon" etc.
                                        Well, I think in Madonna's case, one would apply the word icon most appropriately.

And I think it could also be used to describe the cultural influence of the other one.

Anyway, my nomination for this thread is the word "pathetic", as in "The government's performance is just pathetic" when what is meant that its performance is inadequate or otherwise objectionable. Its misapplication is so overused, that I tend to add the caveat "in the real sense of its meaning" to my correct use of it.

Comment

Iconoclastic

'Disinterested'. I might go to that Momus talk.

Comment

Iconoclastic

G.Man wants a hyphen wrote:
                                            "in the real sense of its meaning".
                                            That's redundant, surely? As we're doing this sort of thing, like.

Comment

Iconoclastic

Eh? You might want to re-read what I wrote. I pointed out that I feel compelled to add the caveat outside conversations such as these.

Comment

Iconoclastic

I think they're grasping after something which means "reaffirms and celebrates the subject's iconic status" rather than shatters it. Off the top of my head I don't know what that word would be, but 'iconoclastic' ain't it.
                                                They'd be better off with "not iconoclastic"...

Actually, they're looking for "hagiographic" here, aren't they?

Comment

Iconoclastic

I love Nico, and John Cale, but there is no way I would want to go to this event. It sounds like the Nico equivalent of 'Mamma Mia'.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X