Holy Guacamole!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Guacamole!

Starting with fresh Greek yoghurt makes a huge difference in my experience.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

ursus arctos wrote:
      What I understand is that Santorini has some spaces for people who know what they are eating which are opa/bouzouki free (or at least optional), and that they don't do the plate smashing thing at all.
      Hm, I didn't see any of that sort of thing, though it was very not crowded when I was there. Seemed like a place to take your date.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

Yeah, they go well with baklava.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

(opa)

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

What is a opa, when it isn't a German grandad?

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

It's the natural Greek response to setting cheese on fire.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

It's also the Italian acronym for a corporate takeover, but what Bruno is referring to is a largely Greek-American thing of exclaiming "Opa!" at any possible opportunity.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

Was I the last person to realise that the titular Thousand Islands of sauce fame were off the Canadian Coast, not in the Pacific Ocean?

I thought that the difference between Marie Rose and Russian dressing was the addition of chopped gherkins in the latter

When I started making guacomole, it had no tomatoes or red onion but did have mayonnaise in.It was good but it wasn't guacomole. Ialso used Tabasco which was silly.

Indeed, it was to guacomole what those California Rolls are to sushi

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

Bored Of Discipline wrote:
                    Was I the last person to realise that the titular Thousand Islands of sauce fame were off the Canadian Coast, not in the Pacific Ocean?
                    "the Canadian Coast"? Where do you think that they are?

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

I have always understood they are off Ontario. Are they not?

Anway,back to Guacamole.Diane Kennedy is interesting on this

Guacamole Avocado Dip

An excerpt from The Essential Cuisines of Mexico by Diana Kennedy

Makes about 2 1/3 cups (585 ML)

The word guacamole comes from the Nahuatl words for "avocado" (ahuacatl) and "mixture," or "concoction" (molli) -- and what a beautiful "concoction" guacamole is, pale green sparked with the cilantro's darker green and the red of the tomato. Its beauty is definitely enhanced if it is served in the molcajete in which it has been made and where it rightfully belongs. (Never, never use a blender for the avocado to turn it into one of those smooth, homogeneous messes!) If you don't possess a molcajete, then use a blender for the base ingredients and mash avocados into it.

Guacamole is usually eaten in Mexico at the beginning of a meal with a pile of hot, freshly made tortillas or with other botanas (snacks), like crisp pork skins (chicharrón) or little pieces of crispy pork (carnitas). It will also often accompany a plate of tacos. It is so delicate that it is best eaten the moment it is prepared. There are many suggestions for keeping it -- covering it airtight, leaving the pit in, and so forth -- but they will help only for a brief time; almost immediately the delicate green will darken and the fresh, wonderful flavor will be lost.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
                      4 serrano chiles, or to taste, finely chopped
                      3 heaped tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro Salt to taste
                      3 large avocados (about 1 pound, 6 ounces/630 G)
                      4 ounces (115 G) tomatoes, finely chopped (About 2/3 Cup/165 ML)

To Serve:

1 heaped tablespoon finely chopped onion
                      2 heaped tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro

Directions:

Grind together the onion, chiles, cilantro, and salt to a paste. Cut the avocados into halves, remove the pits, and squeeze the flesh out of the shell and mash into the chile base to a textured consistency -- it should not be smooth. Stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro, adjust seasoning, and top with the remaining chopped tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Serve immediately at room temperature (see note above). I do not recommend freezing.

Excerpted from The Essential Cuisines of Mexico by Diana Kennedy Copyright© 2000 by Diana Kennedy.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

I thought that this was going to be another Peter Mandelson thread.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

Urban myth, that story.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

Yes, I know.

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

Then it can't be libelous to repeat for us foreigners, no?

Bored, the 1000 Islands are in the St. Lawrence River between Ontario and New York State. They are hundreds of miles from any "coast".

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

Well, what's the actual definition of shore vs coast?

Never mind: "Coast is a specific term, and is applied to that part of an island or continent that borders an ocean or its saltwater tributaries."

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

"We consider ourselves bicoastal, if you consider the Mississippi River one of the coasts."

Comment

Holy Guacamole!

ursus arctos wrote:
                                    Then it can't be libelous to repeat for us foreigners, no?
                                    "An apocryphal urban legend in the Labour Party says that Mandelson, visiting a fish and chip shop in his new constituency of Hartlepool, saw the mushy peas and asked the proprietor about the "guacamole dip". However, the story has been traced to a question asked by an American trainee at the Knowsley North by-election of 1986,[4] and Neil Kinnock has admitted to being one of the people who applied it to Mandelson as a joke"

Comment

Working...
                                    X