"Boring" countries that aren't boring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada and Belgium are always on people's list of dull places, aren't they? But I've been to both, and they're both great. I mean, I'm sure each has boring bits, but so does everywhere.

How do countries get these reputations?

Well, if you haven't read my election thread yet....

Comment

At least you get them over with quickly, inna UK style.

Comment

Switzerland!

Comment

Luxembourg would tend to be the exception to this rule, and I tend to doubt that Loose Cannon will disagree violently.

Comment

is poland exciting?

i've always knee-jerkingly lumped austria into the 'dull countries' category, despite knowing that really it can't be.

Comment

Depends on whether or not you're stuck in the cellar...

Comment

Antwerp is one of the liveliest cities I've been to in Europe, so I'd second the Belgium claim.

Comment

saucy tramp! wrote:
                  is poland exciting?
                  Sepp thinks so...

Comment

Poland's very exciting if you're a lawyer whose independent status is proposed to be changed to that of a "licensed lawyer" answerable to the justice ministry or a judge with whom the government disagrees, as the government already has the power to "second" you to a different court against your will.

The rule of law in action, folks. Aren't they supposed to be in the EU, for Christ's sake?

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                      Antwerp is one of the liveliest cities I've been to in Europe, so I'd second the Belgium claim.
                      Antwerp is great, and Gent is lovely. I was delighted to have my preconceptions of Belgium shattered. I even had a little taste of Salford in St Niklaas.

Comment

I even had a little taste of Salford in St Niklaas.
                        You were mugged by three 14 year old boys?

Comment

No, but three of them laughed at me because I didn't want to buy any hash at 9.30 on a tuesday morning, as I arrived it the station with my girlfriend and her mother.

Comment

Finland is regarded as a poor second to Belgium, when going abroad, but it sounds like a great place to me.

Comment

Yeah, Finland is excellent.

Comment

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                                Finland is regarded as a poor second to Belgium, when going abroad, but it sounds like a great place to me.
                                Do you prefer the pony-trekking or the camping, Mr. Finno-phile?

Comment

How do countries get these reputations?
                                  I don't think your question was answered, was it?

My two cents: people likely equate controversy with excitement. So if a country hasn't been mucking about in another's affairs, or causing some kind of stir on an international level, it must be boring. I mean, New Zealand is certainly lovely, but I'd probably have to call it 'boring' if asked. Although I'm sure it's not.

Comment

I just like watching TV. I was tipped off to the loveliness of the place by Mr. Griffiths of Hempstead.

Comment

Antwerp is well funky. It has a rather cramped zoo, however, in which elephants. lions, giraffes, are hemmed in together cheek by jowl like it's the back of a cocopops packet or something.

Comment

It's also an ale-drinking town, like Dusseldorf and Cologne. I always warm to those. Except Dusseldorf.

Comment

I'd like to (sort of) veto Luxembourg because I had an interesting drunken afternoon there once. First, you've got no idea what language they speak, whether it's French (on official signs), German (on billboards) or Letzebuergisch (on the poop scoop dispensers).

Then there was a trail of elephant shit all around town, which we tracked all day until we finally found a bloke wandering around with an elephant.

We also met the Luxembourg postcard punks, only one of whom was an actual punk. The rest were his completely normal-looking mates, but it didn't stop them having their picture taken with tourists in exchange for fags and small change.

I thought it was great, but admittedly I wasn't there for long.

Comment

WOM's more or less right, I think.

One of the things Belgium and Canada have in common is federalism. Often when we make the news on other countries, it's because of some breakdown in federalism and various people running around talking about various constitutional fixes or approches to fiscal federalism which will address issues of equalizzzzzzzzzzzz...

Comment

I've never equated Canada with boring - any country where the indigenous wildlife may stalk and eat you has got to have a certain frisson of excitement, no?

Comment

AG, there's also the "but less so" factor, I think. You know: Canada's like the US, but less so. Belgium's like France or the Netherlands, and in each case less so. It's bollocks, really, but it has an influence.

Comment

A country is bound to be considered boring if it fulfills one or more of the following requirements:

-Its people are polite and introverted

-Bars close early

-Its political climate is stable and free of big scandals and extremist parties

-It's largely devoided of colourful politicians (see above)

-Not many famous people hail from that country, and those who do you think they're from somewhere else

-Its culture is totally unexotic and boringly western to our eyes

-The food is tasteless

-It hasn't got a big beach scene - no one thinks Australia is boring, yet many people think Canada is

-It hasn't recently been involved in any bloody war

-People are well off

-They're crap at football

-Its cities are clean, green and quiet

-Not big on gambling, prostitution or street drinking

-It's close to a big country with tons of personality

-It's often portrayed as some sort of multi-ethnic paradise - ethnic conflict always makes for 'interesting' countries. Belgium would be the exception to this, but lack of violence meeans they lose points.

-Never suffered a civil war or a dictatorship

Comment

Working...
                                                  X