Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L'pool city of culture: Newsnight Review

...last night-anybody see it?

I liked Terence Davies' passionate denunciation of 'Brideshead' but was intrigued by Ian Hart's accent, which seemed to get more Irish as the broadcast progressed.

Is he Irish? Is he preparing for an Irish role?
    Has he been in the States and the hybrid comes out Irish?

It did go into some considerable depth and it was good to see Holly Johnson - he's looking quite well. Better than Miranda Sawyer who looks as though she's had botox.

Glad that Eric's got a mention, if only through the musical currently doing the rounds. It's been the only real acknowledgement that it's had despite of it's impact on the music scene (which is different but no less significant than the Cavern).

Could have well done without the voxpop bit on the Ferry though. Years of neglect had rendered this symbol of Liverpool to being nothing more than an overpriced pleasure cruise for tourists (when it should be more like the Star Ferry in Victoria Harbour) and apart from the Debenhams remark this bit was of no interest whatsoever.

Not bad though, all in all.

Comment

The Mersey Ferries are a disgrace, and have been for as long as I've known them (which is over 30 years). Somebody should take the top bods of Merseytravel to Sydney, and show them what they could be doing with ferries.

(Actually the top bod at Miserytravel is my old boss ... maybe I should send him the pics I took of Sydney ferries).

Comment

It's a small intertwined world we live in. The lead actor in the production of Eric's The Musical happens to be a bloke in the same year as me in school (Graham Bickley) who all those years ago sang in the school production of 'Oliver' - he had the part of the Artful Dodger and I was one of the gang of thieves. Back around '76/77 I was mates with the bassist from the Spitfire Boys, who happened to have Paul Rutherford in their band and in subsequent years met Holly and loads more 'legends' albeit they weren't then, at Probe Records,... as I was frequent loiterer there, before heading up to Anfield on home games or basically dossing in Probe all afternoon if 'Pool were away. And of course at that time I was a card carrying member of Erics.

Comment

Working...
        X