Breed! Breed Now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breed! Breed Now!

Has anyone else experienced the near hysteria from parents & in-laws about producing grandchildren?

At a recent wedding, my mother suddenly hove into view brandishing a baby, with a look that communicated the quite clear opinion that I should be siring descendants forwith (perhaps not right there on the table, though). Then, a couple of weeks later at my wife's uncle's 60th, her mother does exactly the same thing. And then the other weekend, when we were casually discussing about a possible bathroom renovation at our house, I mentioned having a shower on a flexible hose (ours is a fixed head) to help in bathing any kids that may come along. My father's face lit up like a Christmas tree and you could almost see him struggling not to order me to go and get on with it.

It's like their entire existence is now reduced to waiting for grandchildren to spil rotten and in the meantime, they will fawn over anyone else's baby in an extremely pointed manner.

Breed! Breed Now!

It's what you're here for so get on with it man. Can't you see how big a disappointment you are to your parents that you can't even get a girl knocked-up?

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

My girlfriend gets this from her mother and grandmother all the time. It's gotten to the stage that they're offering significant bribery to help with the cost of marriage and childcare.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Last Christmas my mother was saying something about children and my father said "We agreed not to bring that up!" It appears that they've gleefully broken the terms of their SALT and are now strapping on the warheads.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

My mother expressly forbade my sisters and I to sire progeny until she reached at least 60 as any younger was too young to be someone's Nan.
          My older sister is 43 and single, my younger sister just left her husband and at a recent function where there were a large number of young children, P leaned over to me and whispered "let's never have children") so it could be a while if ever that she becomes a granny.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Eggchaser, once you've had children for a little while you'll understand your parents' point of view (it's because you grew up too fast).

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

I don't suppose I'd mind too much having a kid. But then I wouldn't mind having a dog.
              Thing is, children would ruin my lifestyle and I can't be arsed to walk a dog.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Thing is, children would ruin my lifestyle and I can't be arsed to walk a dog.

I know this thread probably wasn't intended to be an earnest discussion of the matter but I shall bite. I think possibly the biggest social divide is between those who have kids and those who don't. The issues facing either side seem (with much justification) basically irrelevant to the other. (Though of course, only one side knows what it's like to be with and without.) Suffice to say if you had children, your current lifestyle would no longer seem very relevant to you. There wouldn't be much time, and probably not much inclination, to consider whether it had been 'ruined'; it would just no longer apply, you'd be reprioritized and focused on a lot else that there was no reason to focus on before but every reason to focus on now. I can remember not being a parent, I can remember not really wanting to be a parent, but I don't spend any time at all dwelling on it nor wishing for a return to the old ways. That, and you should have a kid, it's highly worth it. (and of course, you'd be a billion times more motivated about him/her than any dog)

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

It just seems like a lot of effort.
                  A lot of reward too, but I've never been much one for wanting to work really hard to earn rewards. I'd rather do without.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Well, I would say parenting is nothing like working to earn a reward. Quite a bit more organic than that. Becoming a parent is relatively painless of course (for the man!) and being one is not at all a straightforward exchange of effort for reward. I'm far from the least lazy person on earth, but much of the effort involved is the kind you absolutely can't shirk or short-change unless you want to end up in prison or Jerry Springer. Really no choice in the matter and it becomes second nature. Difficult yes, worth it every bit and more.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

possibly the biggest social divide is between those who have kids and those who don't ... Suffice to say if you had children, your current lifestyle would no longer seem very relevant to you.
                      three of my friends had their first kids in april/may and since then i have seen one of them, once. they have melted away. i suppose the people who don't have kids eventually are forced to have them out of sheer loneliness.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Blame Darwin and Dawkins, something about selfish genes.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Bear in mind that it is a good idea to have kids while you're still able to lift them though.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Yeah, that's pretty much everyone's experience I think. It's a huge change and there's nothing for it, especially for the first few years if you're not well off enough to afford a nanny. Fear of crossing over is completely understandable. But you rarely meet people who want to cross back.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

loose cannon wrote:
                              Except that it's about the least selfish thing you can do on a practical, daily basis.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Yeah - kids are like temporal black holes that suck up all the spare time you ever had

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

I dunno, I still manage to do my own thing well enough. I mainly just can't 'go out' as much as I used to.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

"But you rarely meet people who want to cross back."

Post hoc rationalisation.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

There is a definite gulf between the childless and those whose lives revolve around the dreadful little screaming balls of puke and noise (guess which group I fall into).

I think me and Mrs B have passed the age where we will ever cross that particular bridge, which suits both of us just fine. Parental pressure on her side dried up when her brothers wife sprogged for the first time, and my mother was never left in any doubt that I intended the family line to expire with me.

From my acquaintances, I'd say that people become more serious, more grown up after having kids (not all, but most). On the whole, the childless have remained more childish themselves, with fewer cares and more time (and obviously, money) to spend on indulging themselves. I'm happy with my choice - apart from anything else I am a born worrier and would probably have got an ulcer and a heart condition from fretting too much about my childs health and welfare. I'm also quite critical of others' parenting abilities when I see poorly behaved kids, but suspect that I would not be brilliant at the job myself!

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Etienne wrote:
                                        "But you rarely meet people who want to cross back."

Post hoc rationalisation.
                                        I don't see how that matters. Unless you were psychotic, you could no more wish that your children no longer existed than you could wish for the specific children you would get before you got them.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

BrunoMaggiore wrote:
                                          loose cannon wrote:
                                          Except that it's about the least selfish thing you can do on a practical, daily basis.
                                          But the most selfish thing that your genes can do. Different thing.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

BrunoMaggiore wrote:
                                            Eggchaser, once you've had children for a little while you'll understand your parents' point of view (it's because you grew up too fast).
                                            Yeah, exactly. I've already started missing the little-kiddy things, and catching myself thinking "Ah well; have to wait for theirs."

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

bewaldeth wrote:
                                              There is a definite gulf between the childless and those whose lives revolve around the dreadful little screaming balls of puke and noise (guess which group I fall into).
                                              Ha! (smiley face) There's a big element of surprise in becoming a parent, when you discover things that make the unpleasantness alluded to seem very insignificant.

I'm also quite critical of others' parenting abilities when I see poorly behaved kids, but suspect that I would not be brilliant at the job myself!
                                              That describes me to a tee. Giving it the old college try.

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                                                But the most selfish thing that your genes can do. Different thing.
                                                Right...but don't people tend to conflate the two concepts?

Comment

Breed! Breed Now!

BrunoMaggiore wrote:
                                                  I think possibly the biggest social divide is between those who have kids and those who don't.
                                                  Bigger than, say, proletariat-bourgeoisie?

I don't buy that, and it's not been my experience. Certainly, a lot changes. It's hard to overstate how much changes. But I actually think you've achieved it...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X