Quite urgent message for G-Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey G-Man, a club mate and a good friend of ours called Maurits van Nierop died in Cape Town in the early hours of Wednesday morning. He was found dead in the street at about 5.a.m. He had been out drinking with our club coach Ryan Maron. He'd been living as a pro-cricketer in Cape Town for two years and had just been selected for the National team.

I was wondering if you had heard anything about it through press agencies or anything? Everyone is in shock here, and nobody seems to know anything concrete.

Any info you might have would be appreciated.

Jesus, my condolencies, TPC. And to G-Man, also.

Comment

Christ, according to Wikipedia, he fell off a wall. What kind of stupid fucking way to die is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurits_van_Nierop

Just last week, his dad gave my boys the annual Van Nierop award, for the most dedicated young cricketer(s).

Comment

I saw that on your Facebook page and figured Maurits was some footballer from the 1950s that I wouldn't have heard of anyway, but then I saw this thread.

Very sorry to hear the bad news. Best wishes to everyone in the family, community and cricket scene that loved him.

Comment

Shit, TPC, sorry to hear that. I'm afraid I've seen nothing at all.

Comment

Looks like he was out drinking with Graeme Smith, Mark Boucher, and Ryan Maron - that's probably not advisable if you are not an experienced drinker.

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES2/articles/000045/004500.shtml

Comment

University Estate is an odd place for carousing.

Rygersdal...I used to be a member of that club.

Comment

Does anyone know what you wear to a memorial service?

Is it just black suit, like a funeral but without the body?

Thanks

Comment

Depends on the culture, doesn't it? In Cape Town, nobody would care if you came in jeans. But I'd say that chinos and a jacket, no tie, should be an acceptable middle-way. You won't be conspicuously underdressed, and -- if everybody comes in casual gear -- you won't be overdressed either.

If the memorial service is in a church, then it is bound to be as solemn as a funeral.

Comment

Naah, it's at our cricket club.

The crowd is going to be a who's who of South African cricket apparently. I suppose it would be considered uncouth to take an autograph book?

Comment

If it's full of Seffricens the chino and shirt look will do.

It might be uncouth to take an autograph book with you, but if there are Cape Town-based stars there, you could instruct them to go in to bat, as it were, for a certain Cape Town NGO...

Comment

Working...
                      X