Something different in Barcelona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off in 9 days time for 5 days. (I cant believe they still havent set a time for the Sunday match on the 5th. Lodz, if you find out its an early kick off, email or PM me please.)

Anyway, I have guide books up to my arsehole, and they all say the same things:

Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia, Tipidabo (which I will visit, if only for the funicular), Magic fountains, blah di blah.

Forgetting food and drink, can someone think of something different to do? I may not take your advice of course, as I will probably get lost in the sites, sounds and smells of the place, and I am uber-excited to do so.

Any really ROUGH places to visit?

Any filth and depravity to be had? (Ignore the gay thing, I have that well covered.)

Actually, just name things I mustn't miss, but remember I have been there before, so architecture is a given, as thats all I could do, considering it snowed for 3 days.

That, and put on 8 pounds in that short time... what is it about the food there? The portions I ate were huge, and I dont normally eat a lot, but I couldnt get enough.

I was in Barcelona about 20 years ago with a gang of mates, one of whom was guiding us to a cafe in the Gotica quarter, and we duly got lost.
    Wandering down an alley we passed a trio - a bloke about 60 in a silver suit, a woman about 50 and a bloke about 35 wearing a black leather jacket. The woman was complaining loudly with a broken voice that sounded like the aliens in 'Mars Attacks'. The alley was a dead end so we retraced our path this time passing the woman who had pulled her sweater up over her head and was leaning over gesticulating at her back that the two men were studying. The jumper was all she wore so her exposed breasts swung pendulously before as we ambled past trying to see nothing.
    That was something different in the bizarre sort of way - let us know what you find.

Comment

Try the Barrio Gotico; it isn't as rough as it was 25 years ago, but can still be edgy, particularly late at night during the week.

And consider going to Montserrat (the monastery).

Comment

Excellent cross post.

As I said, not what it was 25 years ago, but still worth checking out.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
          Excellent cross post.

As I said, not what it was 25 years ago, but still worth checking out.
          P*ssed up Liverpool fans on their own who mistakenly wandered down those lanes in the middle of the night were duly attacked by 3-4-strong bands when I was there last (2007).

Comment

He asked for "really ROUGH".

And he's from Glasgow; he can handle himself.

Comment

While in Barcelona, I recommend a short visit to what is possibly the most ironic spot in the entire world: the Plaza de George Orwell, which is fitted out with a really good set of CCTV cameras.

Comment

Yeah, the kickoff time won't be 100% officially confirmed for another day or two at least ...

In other exciting provincia de Barcelona news, I've been having a crappy time of it with my flatmates for weeks, really poisonous atmosphere, walking on eggshells etc, and it's been stressing me out, upsetting me a lot and getting me down ...

And it all came to a head the other night with them having a real go at me, so I've decided to leave. So I need a new flat in Sabadell or Barcelona (preferably close to Plaça Catalunya) really sharpish - it's a particularly bad time for me to have to do this, with trying to settle into a responsible new job in a language school right at the busiest, start-of-term, time of year ... Sheesh, but that's life I guess ...

So, on the longest of long shots, any OTF lurkers out there currently living in Barcelona with a spare room to rent?? *smiley thing*

Comment

Lodz: I assume you work in Sabadell, hence the 'close to Placa Catalunya' thing. I obviously cant help. However, if you dont have to work on the 6th October, I can make it slightly more palatable by inviting you out on the 5th for a (great header by Pavyluchenko) night out.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                    Try the Barrio Gotico; it isn't as rough as it was 25 years ago, but can still be edgy, particularly late at night during the week.

And consider going to Montserrat (the monastery).
                    is she still alive, and living there? I could always go and stalk her, and shout 'Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiing, please, then I will go away' and she will say " ", and the police will come.

So that might work.

By 'really rough' I mean the places where people who live there, actually go to. Not the namby-pamby 'look at me' types, but the genuinely nice folk who will take the piss out of your bad Spanish, but WONT take the piss out of your godawful Catalan.

And just because I am from Glasgow, doesnt make me hard. (Dont even think about that open goal).

It makes me wary, which is an entirely different, and indeed pertinent, characteristic.

Comment

Yes, I work in Sabadell. For the moment, I live here too, though it depends on my flatsearch as to where I'll be living in ten days' time. Unfortunately I do work on Monday 6th, so I can't head out on the cerveza the night before. The Saturday evening should be doable, or lunch on the Sunday, but, as I say, all depends on what happens with my flat situation ... I'll PM you my mobile number ...

Comment

Yes, please do, Lodz. I have a mate coming with me on this weekend, but he is a decent guy. I am pretty sure that I will be in the Gayxample on Saturday night, but seriously, would like to meet up on Sunday for lunch.

Since I have been on otf/wsc/what the fuck, I have learned that it would be a shame NOT to meet up with the non British base posters, when in/near their home town.

Except The Purple Cow of course... I have been in Amsterdam 5 times this year, and indeed walked past his office twice, but I wouldnt dream about saying hello (No, I am not stalking you sir).

Sometimes, you can, sometimes you cant.

Anyway, mental digression when the Jags have a shot at this... M back with my number Lodz.

Comment

PM this time with my number, again, Lodz... sorry, Rangers have just scored.. fuck it.

anyway PM.

Comment

You're going two weeks too late, you know. You should have been there for the weekend just gone.

And I'll give another vote to getting lost in the Barri Gotic.

Comment

Avoid La Mina like the plague. Not that you would have any business there anyway.

*Technically speaking La Mina belongs to Sant Adriá del Besós.

Comment

Working...
                              X