• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky

Why isn't this in Film? Because it's not about

or

It's about...

The cataclysmic clash between two heavyweights of the chocolate biscuit world - Rocky Chocolate and Rocky Caramel.

I'd never had much time for them before, but Rocky Chocolates became my new favourite biscuit over the summer, after we stacked the chiller box full of them for our long days on the beach. The fusion of biscuit and Crunchy-style, honeycombed filling made for an irresistible combination. Crisp, yet not too brittle. Crumbly, but not too dry. Complemented by a milk chocolate coating that should by rights have Mars and Cadbury's weeping into their wafers. They reminded me alot of the old United bars - yeah, that good.

However, much as I loved them, a further delight, a new Holy Grail of chocolate enjoyment, soon became apparrent. A friend informed me that a Rocky variant was available, a luxurious upgrade that put original Rockys into the shade. He spoke of the Rocky Caramel, and I knew my quest must begin. The discount store that had become my usual Rocky outlet didn't stock this elusive de luxe version (too good for the pound shop brigade - surely an encouraging sign) so my pursuit of caramel-laden glory ended at Asda, where golden six-packs lay like burnished ingots in a ransacked Aztec temple.

I couldn't wait. I tore the wrapping asunder and mired myself in the gooey pleasure of the newfound treat.

But what...? Something was amiss. Alarm bells were ringing. Gustatory meltdown had not been achieved. Why wasn't I getting the Rocky hit, the left hook to the jaw that the Chocolate counterpart delivered with such power and finesse? Looking at the bar in its gnawed nakedness, I could see that although a sticky strip of caramel was indeed laying under the shroud of chocolate coating, the knockout mixture of crunch and crumbly biscuit had been replaced by what I could only describe as ordinary shortbread. Yeah, hard to credit, I know, but the integrity of the bar had been compromised with disastrous consequences. The spell was broken. The presence of caramel simply wasn't enough to boost the whole thing out of the realm of the mundane. Put succinctly, a catastrophic decision on the part of the Fox boffins had left the Caramel Rocky reeling on the ropes.

So it's choccy Rockys for me, at least until the caramel version gets the biscuit it deserves. The Fox's website mentions Rocky Orange, but the horror of the Caramel experiece has put me off going anywhere near them.

Rocky

This Caramel Rocky is a climber. It has aspirations to be a Trio, but just doesnt cut it.

Comment

Rocky

The original Rocky is a masterpiece of biscuit engineering. I'm not down with that caramel shit. It's a little bit ostantatious for me. A little bit like Fox's are trying too hard to impress. It's a bit like having a bear, playing a trumpet, on a unicycle, wearing a clown suit. That, there, is perfect. There's no need to try and make it juggle. It just becomes too busy.

Comment

Rocky

Comment

Rocky

"Rocky chocolate is an extraordinary biscuit. It is indispensable to any football professional looking for a crucial bite to eat in between meals"

Comment

Rocky

I prefer the chocolate ones too, for what it's worth.

Comment

Rocky

I've got a terrible confession to make.

On the way to my drinks with Wingco & friends, last week, since I hadn't had any proper food to eat - just a sandwich at home before I left - I bought a 4-pack of Tunnock's caramel wafers for 80p at the railway station ...and then scoffed the lot on the way up! I didn't even save one for the great man. Now I just can't live with the guilt, of course. It's the curse of the chocoholic.

Comment

Rocky

Tunnock's caramel wafers are the greatest. No man could condemn you for what you did.

Comment

Rocky

The mere mention of United biscuits took me right back to my childhood when I was in even shorter trousers.

So now I want Bandit biscuits, more than anything I've ever wanted, ever.

Thanks for that.

Comment

Rocky

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                    The mere mention of United biscuits took me right back to my childhood when I was in even shorter trousers.

So now I want Bandit biscuits, more than anything I've ever wanted, ever.

Thanks for that.
                    "Go get a bandeet, my friend, if you know what ees good for you!"

Yes, folks - it's the annual OTF chocolate nostalgia festival.

At school one group of mates had a strange 'race' set up, whereby you had to eat a United bar as quickly as possible and, upon swallowing the last chunk, shout "United!" in the manner of the advert. They used to time each other with stopwatches and keep a chart of people's fastest times and everything!

Comment

Rocky

I got to go on a school trip round the Fox's Biscuits factory in Batley, West Yorkshire.

They gave us a big box of miscellaneous broken biscuits to keep quiet about the various health violations we'd seen.

Almost everyone chucked them away.

(I'm joking by the way, but I did go round the factory. I used to have a 'Classic' in my lunchbox every day at school)

Comment

Rocky

What's a United Biscuit.

Comment

Rocky

I mean, I've heard of Uneeda Biscuits.

Comment

Rocky

Thanks, Clive, the mere mention of the word Tunnock's has me wishing I had some teacakes.

Comment

Rocky

Oooo Tunnocks Teacakes: The stoned munchie memories those bring back.

Comment

Rocky

BrunoMaggiore wrote:
                                What's a United Biscuit.
                                What's a United biscuit? What's a United biscuit???

It was only a chocolate bar aimed at the discerning (okay - fat!) football fan! They came in stripey wrappers of either blue & white or red & white stripes, the idea being you'd choose the one that represented your team. (Probably created by Sheffielders, then!) In reality, I only ever saw the blue & white ones.

I can't find an illustration of them right now.

To be honest, they were nothing to write home about - just biscuit inside some ordinary chunky chocolate.

Comment

Rocky

It was only a chocolate bar aimed at the discerning (okay - fat!) football fan!

So they fired them into the crowd with t-shirt guns? That must have been a sight, little chocolate projectiles bouncing off belly flab in all directions.

Comment

Rocky

One review of the Tunnocks Teacake:

The overlord of the Tea Cakes is the Tunnocks which registers a Victoria Plum, possibly a Clementine on the fruit and nut scale of measurement, intimidating its Walnut sized competitors. While on the subject of competitors, they all seem to need intricate plastic trays to protect their puny chocolate shells, whilst the Tunnocks makes do with a bit of tin foil and cardboard box.

What really sets the Tunnocks apart from its Tea Cake brethren is its marshmallow which is based on egg white rather than gelatine. This gives it a consistency somewhere between shaving foam and bath sealant. The process that actually places this stuff on the biscuit base and then covers it in chocolate must be a miracle of biscuit engineering given the super sticky nature of the mallow. The fact that the Tea Cakes exist means that there isn't a machine somewhere Scotland buried under a mountain of proto-tea cake gunge.

Finally we must note that the Tunnocks contains no jam, which again I assume is a level of extra gunge that would push their manufacture into the realms of fantasy.

(with thanks to: NiceCupOfTeaAndASitDown.com)

Comment

Rocky

Vey nice, everybody, I'm sure.

The important issue, though, is surely that they've reintroduced the Plain Chocolate Hob Nob and I was not informed about this development until now.

Comment

Rocky

I prefer plain to milk, but not on a Hob-Nob

Comment

Rocky

I'm going to join in the wide chorus in favour of the Tunnock's Caramel, clearly the king of chocolate wafery biscuity bar thingies.

The Teacake is a bit of a let down once the expectations of the Tunnock's Caramel are raised.

In a similar vein to Mumpo, though, I discovered that there was a Dark Chocolate Caramel. I thought "Wow! Put two of my favourite things together! How incredible!"

But, when I finally discovered the blue-wrappered object of my desire, it too was a let-down. Clearly cheap, sugary caramel bars don't want any pretence at a hint of refinement.

I loved United bars as a kid but they were clearly not very good because I have no recollection, at all, of what they were like, but vaguely think they were a bit like the poor-man's Penguin.

Comment

Rocky

I'll tell you what tastes weird - those Gold bars.

Comment

Rocky

gerontophile wrote:
                                              This Caramel Rocky is a climber. It has aspirations to be a Trio, but just doesnt cut it.
                                              It's more of a poor man's Millionaire's Shortbread (would that make it an Average Salary Man's Shortbread) isn't it?

Actually, it's just a cheap Twix.

Comment

Rocky

I too love the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer, possibly the world's finest tea accompaniment.

I am suspicous about the amount they claim to sell though ;

Comment

Rocky

I dunno... if I remember correctly, they are available in a hell of a lot of cafes in Scotland as the perfect tea accompaniment.

And of course munchie material too.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X