New phone time again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New phone time again!

Well, my 18-month contract is finally up, so it's time for me to look for a new phone.

This time I think I'm going to play safe and go for a popular and established phone and a reasonably cheap monthly-paying contract. Thus, it's almost certainly going to be the Nokia N95 8gb on either the 3 network or Vodafone.

So... what are people's experiences - good or bad - of these things? I'm assuming some of you must have Nokia N95s and that some of you will be on Vodafone and maybe on 3 too.

(I had a Nokia E60 on a £40-a-month O2 contract, last time out. However, I never used anything like enough minutes or texts to justify the contract and the support for the E60 is now almost non-existent, despite it being one of Nokia's top business phones just before I bought it. It's still a cracking phone and I wouldn't mind going the SIM-only route, but I don't think any networks support it now. O2 certainly don't! Oh, and I'm doing the usual 'network-hopping' thing, in order to get the best phone/plan price. The N95 is also too expensive for me on O2.)

New phone time again!

I'd go for one of these.
    In fact, I dearly wish I had.

Comment

New phone time again!

hobbes wrote:
      I'd go for one of these.
      In fact, I dearly wish I had.
      Ha! I knew someone would instantly try to convince me to get something else entirely!

So, Hobbes - are you implying that you actually have an N95, but wish you hadn't?

Quite frankly, I doubt I'll ever go for a Sony Ericsson, as the two experiences I've had with them have both been bad and I prefer the texting 'format' of the Nokias. I'm playing safe.

Comment

New phone time again!

I had a Nokia E60 on a £40-a-month O2 contract
        £500 a year to have a mobile phone? Fucking hell.

Comment

New phone time again!

I've had nothing but joy from all the Sony Ericsson's I've had (and sony before them.) the twice I've switched in the last 10 years, tempted by shiny shiny, have both been disasters (a nokia and an HTC.) The second of these is so bad I've reverted to using my old Sony W810.

So, Hobbes - are you implying that you actually have an N95, but wish you hadn't?
          No, I have an HTC touch dual. It's awful. Touch screen phones blow goats.
          The N95 is about the size of a small car though isn't it? I never want to use a phone bigger than phone size again. I did consider the N81, but heard horror stories about their reliability and battery life.

Comment

New phone time again!

Motorola F3. It has only the bare minimum of what you need, and then less.

I really don't understand why it hasn't conquered the world yet.

edit: and it costs 20 pounds. to buy. no contract.

Comment

New phone time again!

Get the Nokia N95 on 3 for £30 a month (£15 for the calls, £15 for the video pack, both 18 month contract, although I managed to cancel the latter within a month, somehow).

Sony Ericsson give you a choice of a great walkman phone, or a great camera phone. the N95 does both, with the same Carl Zeiss optics offered by the Sony Ericsson camera phones.

Like the iPhone it has google earth, and it's own SatNav as well. Like the iPhone it has 3G speed internet access. And if that's not enough, if you're in a WiFi hotspot, you can get Broadband speed nettage as well.

Unlike recent Motorolas it's not a crock of shit.

Seriously, any feature the others have, the N95 8GB has too. Only they don't have built in ngage.

"The N95 is about the size of a small car though isn't it? I never want to use a phone bigger than phone size again. I did consider the N81, but heard horror stories about their reliability and battery life."

Nah, I've always preferred small phones, and even though this (and the RAZR I had before it) are bigger than my usual phones, they're not much bigger than the Samsung A80 or the Motorola v3688. In fact, the N95 is lighter than the latter, and approximately the same weight as the former.

There is no excuse for not getting a N95 8GB. Hating Nokias is not a good enough reason, because before I got mine, I hated them too.

Comment

New phone time again!

Comment

New phone time again!

I've been given a Nokia E50 by my new company. It's far too complicated by my standards - all the functionality just gets in the way and as a result I'm not sure that I understand how to use it to make actual phone calls.

Comment

New phone time again!

That's 'cause you're a thickie.

Comment

New phone time again!

From the orange website about the N95:-

battery life:
                      talk time 2.0 hours
                      standby 1.0 days
                      weight: 120g

And the Sony W890

talk 9.0 hrs
                      standby 15.0 days
                      weight: 78.0g

It's a no brainer, unless you want GPS and Wireless.

I don't like do-the-lot hardware. It tends to be heavy on the battery life and awkward to use.

Comment

New phone time again!

Hmmm...

Two things. From this review comes this quote:

"The back of the N95 8GB has been redesigned, with an extra millimetre or so of depth allowing the use of the BL-6F, rated at 1200mAh. This would appear to give 25% extra battery life, but in fact extra optimisations in the OS (and possibly the use of demand paging) mean that the real world increase is closer to 50%. Although this isn't exactly capacious, the use of the BL-6F does mean that very few people will exhaust the N95 8GB's battery in a day, even if they try quite hard."

So it sounds like the Orange write-up might have been referring to the original N95. However, so long as it lasts a day, that's fine by me. a) I charge my phones every night anyway and b) even the little Samsung I hade before the E60 needed charging every night, so the N95 doesn't sound any worse than that. I'm unlikely to be using any phone very heavily, so I'm unlikely to drain the battery. Still - I've taken note of this and will factor it into my equations.

FWIW, one of the bad experiences I had with a Sony was that when my phone arrived, I charged it up as described and when I came to use it, I could only send about 10 texts with it before the battery would need charging! Talk time was just a few minutes! Clearly there was something wrong with it, so back it went and I got a Samsung instead. That, though popular at the time, was really frustrating for a whole plethora of reasons and it was what convinced me to go back to Nokia and never bother with another manufacturer again.

Comment

New phone time again!

That's 'cause you're a thickie.
                          Oh, indubitably. But not so thick that I think that having access to functionality I actually have a use for is less important than owning a whole slew of features that are of no use or concern to me.

Comment

New phone time again!

Im writing this on a iPhone, it's easily the best for Internet, particularly if in Wi-Fi range. I've gotta friend with the N95 and he regrets gettin it as it's to big and too many unneccessary features. I understand that O2s monopoly on the iphone with high contract would put a lot of people off, it's the best phone I've had altho had a Nokia 6110 Navigator before that pushed it close.

Comment

New phone time again!

loppy wrote:
                              Im writing this on a iPhone, it's easily the best for Internet, particularly if in Wi-Fi range. I've gotta friend with the N95 and he regrets gettin it as it's to big and too many unneccessary features. I understand that O2s monopoly on the iphone with high contract would put a lot of people off, it's the best phone I've had altho had a Nokia 6110 Navigator before that pushed it close.
                              Riiiiight! Looks like I'll be giving the iPhone a miss too, then.

Comment

New phone time again!

no thoughts on keeping the phone you have, unlocking it, and doing a pay as you go thing?

I spend less than a tenner a month, and thats with 300 texts free. However, I dont have any friends and I spent the last £10 on downloading Football Manager, and stupidly calling Ryanair's helpline (£1 a minute, I lasted 30 seconds).

Comment

New phone time again!

Sorry realized I wasn't too clear. My friend things the N95 is far to big and unneccessary. The iPhones good despite the o2 monopoly.

Comment

New phone time again!

hobbes wrote:
                                    From the orange website about the N95:-

battery life:
                                    talk time 2.0 hours
                                    standby 1.0 days
                                    weight: 120g

And the Sony W890

talk 9.0 hrs
                                    standby 15.0 days
                                    weight: 78.0g

It's a no brainer, unless you want GPS and Wireless.

I don't like do-the-lot hardware. It tends to be heavy on the battery life and awkward to use.
                                    If I talk a lot on my N95 8GB, I needto recharge it every 3-4 days, otherwise it needs charging every 7-10 days. The only time I needed to charge it was when I was working away from home, and spending an hour a day (at least) on calls, and using it for all my net usage. 3G kills battery on any phone.

And what loppy says about the N95's net - it's own browser is shit, but that's why they invented Opera Mini.

The iPhone is too expensive for what it is. You're paying for a handset, and £10 a month extra just because it's made by Apple, and they know they can get away by charging extra because it's a bit shiny, and they market it a lot. There's nothing it can do that the N95 can't.

Comment

New phone time again!

I'm absolutely with Hobbes when it comes to phones, SE all the way. I'm not sure which one is going to be when I can upgrade next, the W890 is lovely but I'm quite keen on the C702 for practical reasons (splash/dust resistant, gps, it's a hiker phone really...)

Comment

New phone time again!

I haven't used an N95, but I've always found web browsing on a mobile phone absolutely horrific, with the sole exception of the iPhone.

Comment

New phone time again!

This looks a good bet.

Comment

New phone time again!

Nokia seems to have lost some of their market share in the US. At the start of the decade, seemed like everyone had Nokias, now I don't see them all that much anymore.

Comment

New phone time again!

That's 'cause they're all part of a huge Nokia mountain in a Chinese scrapyard.

Comment

Working...
                                              X