Firefox Map Problem/Java Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't seem to view maps using Firefox. When they come up, I get a broken-picture/you're-an-idiot-image instead of a map.

I think the reason for this is that I don't have Java enabled (though I do have JavaScript enabled). I disabled Java b/c I had been told that it is a big security risk.

So, does anyone know whether my problem is the disabled Java or something else? Further, is Java really a big security risk, or am I being dumb leaving it disabled?

Which maps site specifically are you talking about? The only one I can think of that uses Java is Map24.

It could be some other reason it's not working.

Comment

Thanks for the response, CTT (and for saving me from a nil thread on my first ever thread). My viewing issues are with Mapquest and Google Maps (for example, I can't see the map on the site the "Storytelling for Map Geeks" thread).

Comment

I just spent a little time searching around for possible fixes and found something on the Google Maps site that worked. Apparently, my browser had not been correctly configured to handle Java Script. Now Google Maps and Mapquest work.

Of course, I'm sure that by changing my configurations I've screwed something else up, but I think today I'll just be happy with my small victory over computer-related shit I don't understand.

Comment

Ah glad you got it sorted.

It's odd you needed to do that though, as I've never had problems viewing Google Maps after a clean install of Firefox.

Comment

Working...
          X