Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whun lukkin a form, ye maun pit doon name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a genuine job advertisement.

It's just like one of Duncan's posts...

Comment

I always thought 'Ulster Scotch' was something illegal that gave you a blindng headache.

Comment

And how right you were.

(You've been great; I'll be here all week.)

Comment

Lads...it was funny at first, teasing Gerry and Mart's inability to speak sustained Irish for the entire duration of a soundbite. But the joke's over now, right?

I found that ad slightly harder to follow than my last extended foray into a foreign language. While in Germany recently, I couldn't pick up World Service so tuned into their equivalent of Question Time. The panel were basically arguing whether it was a new crisis for the SPD, or just a revival of the old one. And whether Steinmeier, Beck or Ypsilanti was going to get his/ her ass whipped by Angie in the next election.

Comment

I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand, a Nirish friend of mine insists that Ulster Scotch is a tit-for-tat scam cooked up by loyalists after the other lot pushed for greater recognition of Gaelic.

On the other hand, whether or not it's a genuine language (as opposed to a dialect or even merely an accent) is kind of irrelevant, because the issue is mutual intelligibility. If local government officials genuinely can't understand what the feck members of the public are trying to say to them, then I guess they need someone on board who can.

It's like those doctors in Durham hospital who had to be given classes in Geordie, so they could work out what was wrong with their patients.

It's comical, but at the same time maybe necessary? Having spent a lot of time in the North East, I can see the logic. Knowing far less about Nireland, I can't really judge.

Comment

The Scottish Parliament also spends money translating stuff into Scots, so I guess it's not a whole lot different to that.

Comment

See also Wales. But three wrongs don't make a right, of course.

Comment

Clearly I'm with the Rhino's mate.

It's not even a dialect. My grandmother grew up in Larne before WW1. Even now, the thick local accent is mocked by people from Belfast barely 40km away. Back then, the locals were often mistaken for Scots.

Whereas I spent much of my early life following my parents around various Brit colonial outposts- West Indies, Palestine, East Africa, Ceylon. To make myself understood in primary school I developed an accent probably similar to G-Man's, with a sprikling of words in Afrikans. Yet the aged GP and I had no difficulty understanding one another.

Mutual intelligibility? My arse. Just because we can't trust or agree with them don't mean we don't understand...

PS Linking to AIATL's complaint on the Gaelic football final- I'd guess the Ultonians most in need of sub-titles for Brighton listeners are inner city gang kids in Belfast, not rural farners. Probably similar to Rhino's Newcastle example.

Comment

I lived in Wales for a year as a kid and don't remember any emphasis on Welsh (this was near Brecon). Is it a relatively new thing or was I just in a bit that couldn't be bothered?

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                      See also Wales. But three wrongs don't make a right, of course.
                      But that is different, right, because Welsh is a wholly separate language? Unless you mean the Welsh Assembly produces documents in Welsh English. "I wun lie to yew, we godda a bit of a DEFF-icit by yere," or something.

Comment

Yes, Welsh is a wholly separate language, but the number of people who speak it as a first language is low, and the number who speak it as a first language and don't understand English is almost zero, so the whole jobs-for-the-boys industry of Cymraeg-speakers perpetuated by the middle classes is a questionable use of taxpayers' and licence fee payers' money.

Comment

Census and surveys suggest 500,000 speakers, albeit without testing fluency.

I think that's enough of a critical mass for the language to survive, even if the fastest-growing group of speakers- middle class kids in Cardiff- don't persist later in life. Point taken about the unjustified level of financial support, mind.

Welsh speakers' ability to understand English is less relevant. Pretty much everybody in Sweden and Netherlands, say, is fluent in English.

Anecdotally- every time I visit Cardiff, I listen carefully for the occasional Welsh speaker. Not many out and about, I've found.

Comment

How much taxpayers money? This sounds a bit like Tubby Isaacs huffing about cunts pissing away his tax cut when he sees a street theatre group.

In any case, isn't the preservation and promotion of Welsh cultural inheritance, of which the language is certainly a big part, exactly the sort of thing the Assembly and the BBC in Wales ought to be doing? (Yes, I know, not the only thing).

Comment

Shelly Vincoeur wrote:
                              Census and surveys suggest 500,000 speakers, albeit without testing fluency.

I think that's enough of a critical mass for the language to survive, even if the fastest-growing group of speakers- middle class kids in Cardiff- don't persist later in life. Point taken about the unjustified level of financial support, mind.

Welsh speakers' ability to understand English is less relevant. Pretty much everybody in Sweden and Netherlands, say, is fluent in English.

Anecdotally- every time I visit Cardiff, I listen carefully for the occasional Welsh speaker. Not many out and about, I've found.
                              The moderate resurgence of popularity of the Welsh language is overwhelmingly because of the institutionalised cronyism. Middle class families send their kids to Welsh schools nowadays because they know that there'll be a nice sinecure with the Beeb or the Govt waiting for them at the end of it, index-linked salary for life and a generous pension. It's like the fucking masons.

Comment

I was on a National Express coach to Cardiff about 10 years ago, and was sat behind two teenage girls nattering to one another in Welsh for the whole journey. I only heard one phrase of English the whole journey

"CymraegcymraegcymraegWelshwelshwelshcymraeg"
                                "Welshwelshcymraegcymraeg. Eistedfodd!"
                                "Abergogogoch. Llanllangrysglydwr Cymraegcymraegcymraeg."
                                "So, she fucked him then?"
                                "Cymraegcymraegcyraeg etc.

Made me wonder if Welsh has no swearwords or something, like Japanese.

Comment

Alessandro Nesta Marley wrote:
                                  How much taxpayers money? This sounds a bit like Tubby Isaacs huffing about cunts pissing away his tax cut when he sees a street theatre group.

In any case, isn't the preservation and promotion of Welsh cultural inheritance, of which the language is certainly a big part, exactly the sort of thing the Assembly and the BBC in Wales ought to be doing? (Yes, I know, not the only thing).
                                  How much money? Oooh, now you've got me. I would estimate it at being somewhere between 'quite a lot' and 'shitloads'.

Yeah, the Assembly and the Beeb do have a duty to keep the lingo going for reasons of cultural heritage, up to a point. But when there's a whole class of people earning money to translate fucking parking tickets, that point is way, way back in the rear view mirror.

Comment

Alessandro Nesta Marley wrote:
                                    I was on a National Express coach to Cardiff about 10 years ago, and was sat behind two teenage girls nattering to one another in Welsh for the whole journey. I only heard one phrase of English the whole journey

"CymraegcymraegcymraegWelshwelshwelshcymraeg"
                                    "Welshwelshcymraegcymraeg. Eistedfodd!"
                                    "Abergogogoch. Llanllangrysglydwr Cymraegcymraegcymraeg."
                                    "So, she fucked him then?"
                                    "Cymraegcymraegcyraeg etc.

Made me wonder if Welsh has no swearwords or something, like Japanese
                                    My most frequent Welsh journey is the boat-train to Ireland via the Chester-Llandudno-Holyhead line. Two Liverpool supporters dissected the Sun's football gossip entirely in Cymraeg, before briefly lapsing to dismiss their greatest player of recent years. "Giggs? He's a facking wanker, look you".

Comment

Made me wonder if Welsh has no swearwords or something, like Japanese
                                      I can't find it now, but I've read a mad website devoted to the grammatical simiarities between Welsh & Japanese. All because (they reckoned) a boat-load of Buddhist monks shipped up in Anglesey in 200BC and became druids.

Comment

The Northern Airlann Assembly Commission is gien ower tae equality o opportunity in employment an is gled tae get applications frae aa aptly qualified candidates nae metter o gender, marital or femilie status, kirk gaun belief/political opeenion, disability, age, race, nationality or sexual orientation.
                                        Anyway, doesn't it look like they ran out of steam at the end here? Surely there must be Ulster Scots words for disablity, race, sexual orientation, no?

"Spastecs, auld cunts, woags n bufties aw wekkum".

Comment

I can't find it now, but I've read a mad website devoted to the grammatical simiarities between Welsh & Japanese. All because (they reckoned) a boat-load of Buddhist monks shipped up in Anglesey in 200BC and became druids.

Find that site, Mitch, and pronto.

Er, look you.

Comment

There are definitely swear words in Welsh. I had most of them shouted at me by one of my exes.

Comment

I lived in Wales for a year as a kid and don't remember any emphasis on Welsh (this was near Brecon

A lot of my mum's family are from there and they dont speak Welsh around there, lots of parts of Wales where they dont.Although I remember on a family holiday once when I was a nipper, my folks bought me a comic book to read, only to find to my dismay it was entirely in Welsh.

Comment

Although I remember on a family holiday once when I was a nipper, my folks bought me a comic book to read, only to find to my dismay it was entirely in Welsh.

I dunno, that sounds pretty funny to me.

Comment

Counting in Iranian and Irish is fairly similar, because they are both Indo-European languages that pre-date the Romans and Greeks.

[/useless fact]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X