Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...any big plans for the shutdown/upgrade furlough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ignore poster function has stopped working.

Comment

It seems that the ignore poster function has stopped working, etc.

Comment

Tried posting and all my punctuation kept disappearing. I’m on my phone, not my Mac, so don’t know what the problem is. Doesn’t seem to like speech marks.

Comment

Preferred the old board...

Comment

Just a reminder that - as Snake has already said - this is a temporary version of the board and something more like you're used to will be along in due course.

Play nice.

Comment

And play with the various style options to pick your preference.

Comment

Oooh. Likes are on.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  Oooh. Likes are on.
                  Oh, christ.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                    5pm - Went upstairs for a post-work nap. Got yelled down almost instantly. A man was selling pillows. I got two Egyptian cotton box pillows for fuck all. Retail price slightly more than that.
                    5.30pm - Popped to Oi Polloi to pick up some adidas Forest Grove, the og Oregon silhouette. They're smart af and were a steal at £35.
                    6pm - Nap
                    7.30pm - Got up and started preparing a chickpea, tomato and spinach curry.
                    8.15pm - Ate my curry
                    9pm - Settling down to watch that Sunderland Netflix embarrassment with a nice glass of water.
                    I'm starting to have serious doubts regarding you people in England and what you call a curry.
                    I'm starting to think that everything which is cooked like a stew, or a soup, and involves a bit of spice not grown behind a Scottish shed, you call that a curry by proxy?

I've had these doubts for many years now. Starting with what y'all deem a pie.
                    Especially since I saw that photo put up here by someone, of a person eating a pie with a spoon while the pie looked like a very bad lasagne.
                    You really are a strange people, culinarily.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post

I'm starting to have serious doubts regarding you people in England and what you call a curry.
                      I'm starting to think that everything which is cooked like a stew, or a soup, and involves a bit of spice not grown behind a Scottish shed, you call that a curry by proxy?
                      Eh? Those are curries, too.

Comment

I watched the last episode of Killing Eve while BLOATUS was lying on live TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

Eh? Those are curries, too.
                          A Hungarian Gulasch is a curry now to you in England?
                          Simply becuase there are spices and fluid involved?
                          Eh, maybe I'm the not the most enlightened one but a curry is now the word for everything not fish and chip over there?
                          I really am not mocking. I am wondering whether after all these years I got it wrong. All these times EIM or someone else said they had a curry, I presumed food from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan. Not some geezer cooking Irish stew.
                          Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 10-01-2019, 06:31.

Comment

Oh, now I get it.
                            Holy crap, now I get it.
                            You mean in the sense of what curry is, translated?
                            That curry means a mix and that's how you've over there (England) started to use it after all the Bengali and the like influenced?
                            Ten years on and then some more on here I've always thought EIM ate Indian food like he was born in the Ganges every time he mentioned curry. I thought EIM was obsessed and possessed with Indian food.
                            Thousand times the rest of you have mentioned curry; I thought Indian food
                            My bad. now I know what you mean.
                            Seriously, every time you said curry I thought you meant exactly an Indian curry dish.
                            Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 10-01-2019, 06:49.

Comment

In Sweden, when we order curry, we order Indian. We don't have that "curry" like you do.

Comment

Why can't a "chickpea, tomato, and spinach curry" as EIM mentioned be a curry in the way you understand it. I'm 95%sure he'll have meant a dish using South Asian spice blend such as you might find in an Indian restaurant.
                                ​​​​​​
                                We do use curry to mean certain dishes that come from (or are strongly influenced by) certain Asian countries (South Asia but also Thai, Malaysian even Japanese )

Gulyás /Goulash is not a curry and nobody would refer to it as such

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post

A Hungarian Gulasch is a curry now to you in England?
                                  Simply becuase there are spices and fluid involved?
                                  Eh, maybe I'm the not the most enlightened one but a curry is now the word for everything not fish and chip over there?
                                  I really am not mocking. I am wondering whether after all these years I got it wrong. All these times EIM or someone else said they had a curry, I presumed food from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan. Not some geezer cooking Irish stew.
                                  Nah, I was mostly just pulling your leg.

Comment

Has Jah Womble found his way back in yet and at what point do we send out a recovery party?

No poster left behind!

Comment

Yup. He was seen emerging from the smoke yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        Why can't a "chickpea, tomato, and spinach curry" as EIM mentioned be a curry in the way you understand it. I'm 95%sure he'll have meant a dish using South Asian spice blend such as you might find in an Indian restaurant.
                                        ​​​​​​
                                        We do use curry to mean certain dishes that come from (or are strongly influenced by) certain Asian countries (South Asia but also Thai, Malaysian even Japanese )

Gulyás /Goulash is not a curry and nobody would refer to it as such
                                        It was from/based on a traditional Gujurati recipe. Black mustard seeds and cumin seeds toasted until they pop. Cook onion until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add tinned tomatoes and some water and cook until a dry paste. Add chickpeas and warm through. Throw in ground coriander, chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Finally throw in a load of spinach and wait for it to wilt and soften.

PPV must have terrible knees from all this jumping to conclusions he does.

Comment

Now I'm thinking of PPV as twilight period James Brown, delegating most of the work to his hype man and backing singers and only taking lead vocals on one song in every half dozen.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            Oooh. Likes are on.
                                            So what do 'likes' actually do? I've never done Facebook or any of the others so it's a bit alien to me. Is it simply a show of appreciation, and a warm feeling to the likee?
                                            Last edited by Capybara; 10-01-2019, 10:43.

Comment

I think it's something to do with pouting selfies, but I'm not too sure.

Comment

Nothing more than appreciation and a warm inner glow. (You shouldn’t be able to see who gave them.)

Comment

Snake, first of all, sincere thanks for all your hard work. Are new posters able to register and sign up now? And can we retrieve our passwords if we've lost them?

Comment

PPV's behavioral arc is proceeding as usual: quiet return, a few genteel posts, slightly dodgier stuff, mildly unhinged stuff, a few multi-posts rants about nothing in particular, followed by a full blown bout of racism / sexism / homophobia / islamophobia. He's already started testing the waters on this very thread, in fact. And then he'll leave for a while and we'll not ban him once again.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X