No announcement yet.

Vegan sausage roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, the dividing line is sweet-vinegary sauces to which I am pretty averse: ketchup and, to a lesser extent, brown sauce, steak sauces, and sweet bbq sauces; and normal vinegary sauces which I generally like: mustard, carolina style bbq sauces, hot sauces. And non-vinegary sauces like mayo/holland/bearn - aise and horseradish and mexican salsas and gochujang and so on, which are broadly delicious.

Comment

There are some plain foods that I find bland and require something to perk them up a bit but sometimes simple food is wonderful. My wife's freshly-made bread spread thickly with red pepper houmous is just about the best thing that I've ever tasted.

Comment

Is red pepper houmus, plain? (Not a fan of houmous, generally. However the fuck it is spelled.)

Comment

Well, it's obviously a product, I suppose, but it's made from cheap, wholesome ingredients and feels simple, like a pickle or a stew.

Comment

‘Clam broth’ sounds like a Viz name for something unimaginable.

Comment

Horseradish: used to hate it but a pub/hotel on the seafront at Roker did a roast beef sandwich (with gravy and roasties) and I experimented with getting just enough out of the sauce dish into the stottie and came to love it.
              said hotel has been through two makeovers since and they stopped serving it in favour of chips in a fucking miniature bucket etc

Comment

Vinegar is gash.

Any failsafe way to upload images?

Thanks.

Comment

From your device or the Net? If the former - not that I've found. From the Net is easy enough though:

Comment

Attachments are banned. You'd need to upload an image to a photo share type site then copy the url if they aren't web images.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                      Jah, if you're a vegetarian, leave out the Lea & Perrin's from your Bloody Mary.
                      I'm a non-carnivore. I don't eat a massive amount of fish, but it's still a part of my diet.

There are now non-anchovy-containing Worcestershire sauces, so that might be the way to go in future.

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      "horseradish sauce" that you can buy in the UK is rubbish . Plain old horseradish however, undiluted by whatever bollocks they smother it in in those sauces, is the stuff of the gods. Blows your sinuses clean out mind you (like wasabi to which it is somehow related)
                      Agree - 'wasabi'-type raw horseradish is the best, but I'll admit to consuming the sauces now and again. (Such as when a sandwich needs both lubrication as well as heat. The key is not to go too mad with the stuff.)

Comment

Thanks LS/NS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

There are now non-anchovy-containing Worcestershire sauces, so that might be the way to go in future.
                          Just use Henderson's Better than Worcestershire anyway

Comment

I know several people here who have a bottle of Worcester sauce (pronounced "War-chester saw-se") in their larder for the sole purpose of "flavouring" (i.e. ruining) scrambled eggs.

I'd rather my scrambled eggs were served in a puddle on the pavement than with Worcester sauce.

Comment

What do you like, treibeis?

Comment

Is Worcestershire sauce actually made in Worcestershire? This could be a great opportunity to double my holding of facts about Worcestershire, currently limited to Ron Atkinson living there.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                  I know several people here who have a bottle of Worcester sauce (pronounced "War-chester saw-se") in their larder for the sole purpose of "flavouring" (i.e. ruining) scrambled eggs.

I'd rather my scrambled eggs were served in a puddle on the pavement than with Worcester sauce.
                                  So, and I appreciate that I'm going out on a limb here, you know, without really having anything to support this assertion, but I'm guessing that you are not the kind of person who likes a few drops of Maggi sauce on a boiled egg...

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                    Yes, but what if you are standing on the pavement with some scrambled eggs and someone approaches you trying to pour Worcestershire sauce over them so you tip them into a puddle, only to discover that the puddle itself is spilled Worcestershire sauce, due to the café owner making a mess of decanting it from the big catering bottle into the little table top ones?

Comment

A dash of green tabasco goes very nicely on scrambled eggs. (The eggs in question having been prepared with herbs in the mix.)

Comment

Originally posted by JVL View Post

So, and I appreciate that I'm going out on a limb here, you know, without really having anything to support this assertion, but I'm guessing that you are not the kind of person who likes a few drops of Maggi sauce on a boiled egg...
                                        It's a good job you fucked off to the other side of the world when you did. If you'd stayed here any longer, before you knew where you were, you'd have been buying Platzteller for your dinner table and Tagesdecken for your furniture.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Yes, but what if you are standing on the pavement with some scrambled eggs and someone approaches you trying to pour Worcestershire sauce over them so you tip them into a puddle, only to discover that the puddle itself is spilled Worcestershire sauce, due to the café owner making a mess of decanting it from the big catering bottle into the little table top ones?
                                          Eating scrambled eggs made in a café or restaurant is just asking for trouble anyway.

I was in Bremen the other day and went to a restaurant. The only thing on the menu that wouldn't have made me shit myself on the spot was shrimps and scrambled eggs, so I ordered that. ("Herr Ober, hold ... well, almost everything!")

The eggs were really yellow. Not like normal Scrambled Egg Yellow, but Sweetcorn Yellow, Only Yellower Yellow. I mean, fuck that.

Comment

I never tried Worcester sauce on scrambled eggs, I generally have them plain but sometimes I add some ketchup, just because it's wrong (Aldi ketchup btw, much better than that Heinz stuff...)

Few splashes of Worcester sauce on cheese on toast is the business though.

JVL, I like a sprinke of Aromat on my boiled eggs....

Comment

When I got sent to the supermarket by Mrs B for Aromat, I though it was some ancient herb from Asian that I was hitherto unknown to me. I then found out that it was some sort of processed seasoning mix that was only 65 years old and a cult mix in South Africa, Switzerland and Greenland. It was like finding out ciabatta was invented during my adult life.

Comment

Until today, I thought Aromat was the immediate successor to Hai Karate.

Comment

In old fashioned cafe-restaurants in Switzerland you will find on a table a little rack with salt, pepper, Maggi and Aromat. It is just a good dose of MSG but i like it on my salad or my boiled egg.

Comment

Horseradish mustard. I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X