Vegan sausage roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    "I once got a clip round the ear from my mother - a mustard-eater - for referring to piccalilli as 'pickled willy'."

Quite right too. Those are gherkins.

I'd put piccalilli along with boiled beetroot in my Pantry 101.
    Piccalilli is mustard pickle, m'dear.

However, it may well contain gherkins among a number of other chopped vegetables.

I 'mustard'mit I thought for some years that 'Piccalilli' was a trade name. (But then I thought similar about Jaffa Cakes for a good while, too.)

Comment

The predominant vegetable in piccalilli is cauliflower, no?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
        I once got a clip round the ear from my mother - a mustard-eater - for referring to piccalilli as "pickled willy".
        To be fair you should have grown out of that by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

However, it may well contain gherkins among a number of other chopped vegetables.

I 'mustard'mit I thought for some years that 'Piccalilli' was a trade name. (But then I thought similar about Jaffa Cakes for a good while, too.)

It is indeed. Vomit in a jar. The gherkins mention was in reference to Treibeis's "pickled willy" reference.

Comment

Okay, I thought you were suggesting that 'piccalilli' and 'pickled gherkins' were one and the same thing. And we can't have that.

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            The predominant vegetable in piccalilli is cauliflower, no?
            Yes, I believe so.

I might have to buy some now.

Comment

Actually, while we're on revolting concoctions, let me introduce you to my FiL's favourite drink, the Caesar:

"It typically contains vodka, a caesar mix (a blend of tomato juice and clam broth), hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce, and is served with ice in a large, celery salt-rimmed glass, typically garnished with a stalk of celery and wedge of lime."

Comment

That's going in Pantry 101 too!

Comment

Olives and lime are such a natural combination . . .

Comment

I'm guessing that the clam broth doesn't add much apart from saltiness underneath all the rest of it, but not being as unpleasant as one might imagine seems a thin justification for inclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                      I'm guessing that the clam broth doesn't add much apart from saltiness underneath all the rest of it, but not being as unpleasant as one might imagine seems a thin justification for inclusion.
                      I presume it's for the nasty fishy aftertaste that all ambitious cocktails crave.

Comment

Clamato (tomato juice, sugar, spices, clam broth) is massively popular here, you can get huge bottles of it in the supermarket, apparently very popular as a mixer. I've not yet plucked up the courage to try it. Little baby steps, sampled my first egg nog over the festive period and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, so maybe a Clamato cocktail won't be all bad. Actually, it'll probably be rank, but I feel I should try it one day.
                        Last edited by JVL; 10-01-2019, 13:34. Reason: hugely... huge... too many huges...

Comment

I would suggest not starting with a Michelada or Chelada (Clamato and Beer, the Michelada is spicy).

The pre-mixed varieties are particularly rank (there's even one "featuring" Bud Light).
                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-01-2019, 13:45.

Comment

I bow to no-one in my love of a good Bloody Mary, but if you put clam juice in it I reserve the right to hurl it back at you. Whether I've drank any of it or not.

Comment

So hang on, in some places it's acceptable to drop your clam juice in someone's drink to make it salty?
                              You'd think there'd be a law against it.

Comment

So something drenched in vinegar is used as the basis for something else drenched in vinegar. Why, you may as well drizzle battery acid over your supper.

Duncan Edwards must be spinning in his grave.

Comment

A good fiery Bloody Mary is as fine a beverage as there can be. A Bloody Caesar is a wholly different experience. (Still quite like 'em, mind - and I seem to recall enjoying a Bullshot [vodka and consomme] a decade or so before I gave up the meat.)

As I've mentioned before, some good while ago I also tried a Red-Eye Special - which is something like ursus's concoction above, except that it also retains the vodka element of the Bloody Mary. It was drinkable and very strong - but I wouldn't make a habit of imbibing.

So something drenched in vinegar is used as the basis for something else drenched in vinegar. Why, you may as well drizzle battery acid over your supper.
                                  Nobody's saying that you need to drown your food in any of this stuff. A small amount of mustard/pickle/sauce/whatever adds a little piquancy.

On the other hand, if people really prefer to eat beige food, well, it's a free country.

Comment

Clamato and Micheladas definitely belong alongside beetroot in Pantry 101. There's something about tomato juice that I find abhorrent, and adding clam and bad beer to it certainly doesn't help.

If bloody marys had all the good spicy stuff but no tomato juice they might be quite nice.

Comment

Okay, I thought you were suggesting that 'piccalilli' and 'pickled gherkins' were one and the same thing. And we can't have that.
                                      Too right. I don't mind gherkins but piccalilli is foul.
                                      Horseradish sauce is the worst condiment though. It's not food, it's pure, undistilled pain in a jar.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                        "Wasn't the whole thing by Morgan a stunt put together by his publicist who he shares with Gregg's?"

No. The vegan sausage roll launch was handled in house, not by the external publicity company. Morgan is just a massive fucking twat.
                                        Oh, good.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Too right. I don't mind gherkins but piccalilli is foul.
                                          Horseradish sauce is the worst condiment though. It's not food, it's pure, undistilled pain in a jar.
                                          You people are bonkers - horseradish is the condiment of the gods. (Actually, it's mighty fine as a Bloody Mary addition, I'll have you all know.)

I can only surmise that you guys aren't trying the best examples of same.

Comment

Started eating a lot of Quorn lately

Frozen
                                            Quorn fillets- good done in a Chicken Tonight sauce or with stuffing on them in a roast dinner
                                            Quorn pieces - good in stir fries
                                            Quorn steak strips - very good in stir fries, or as 'steak sandwiches'
                                            Quorn Low Fat sausages - the only sausages Mrs Thistle can eat now. Good with Low fat oven chips (thanks, Asda), peas and ketchup. Don't brown very well though. use the grill if you want them brown

Fresh
                                            Quorn tikka masala curry, This is actually delicious. Microwaves in a few minutes.
                                            Quorn laksa curry. This is nice but not as delicious as the tikka masala.
                                            Quorn savoury eggs. Superb snack food.
                                            Quorn 'ham' - Mrs Thistle has this in her sandwiches. I've tried it but am not super keen. But then I never ever liked ham.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Quorn has launched in the US, but is hardly anywhere. It's a fungus based meat substitute. The closest equivalent in terms of ubiquity in the US is probably Morningstar Farms, which I far prefer as a product. Morningstar is soy based rather than fungus. Neither of them are generally vegan as they use egg as a binder - apparently it's a complete bastard to make vegan versions of this stuff because it's hard to get a binder and it's really hard to get decent protein content which people seem to want in their fake-meat.
                                              Quorn have said that they are going to try and make all their range vegan and have quite a lot now that is apparently.

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                              The only Quorn thing I've enjoyed were the chicken bits - which my wife put in a sweet and sour chicken. I was halfway through it before I even realised it wasn't actually chicken..
                                              When the boy went through his vegetarian phase, we did the same (at home anyway). The only meat substitute I enjoyed was the 'chicken' pieces. I don't really like meat substitutes otherwise. I can quite happily eat a mushroom risotto or falafel but don't need to have a meat substitute. Anyway, after finding out that the bacon - that he had been having in his roll at school throughout this period - was actually meat*, the boy ditched the vegetarianism. However, we have kept onto the Quorn pieces which I use a lot in Thai stir fries.

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                                              The Quorn mince is only good in a chili, i tried a bolo with it and it was rank...
                                              This is true. Like the pieces, it works best (or, in this case, at all) when in something spicy.

Originally posted by Sean of the shed View Post
                                              Greggs are shit, you're not missing owt.
                                              When Greggs first arrived on Kilburn High Road about 25 years ago, it seemed like a fairly decent sandwich chain with the USP that all their nice sandwiches - prawn cocktail, tuna mayo, cheese and pickle, egg mayo - came in thick sliced bloomer loaf and were quite cheap. The hot under a lamp stuff almost seemed secondary.

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              If you order bean soup here it's a given that it will have some form of smoked ham in it.
                                              Have you been to Cuba, ad hoc (I have a feeling you have, it's not completely random)? Apparently, it is hell for vegetarians. To be blunt, it isn't the greatest for food at all but even if you just eat rice and beans over there it is probably been cooked in pork fat. The salads aren't always washed in the cleanest of water either.

Pot Noodle

* a la Homer, " “(Lisa) “I’m going to become a vegetarian” (Homer) “Does that mean you’re not going to eat any pork?” “Yes” “Bacon?” “Yes Dad” Ham?” “Dad all those meats come from the same animal” “Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!”

* also my mate who had been a vegetarian for 20 years or so he thought until last year when he found out that scotch eggs are wrapped in pork.

Comment

Jah, if you're a vegetarian, leave out the Lea & Perrin's from your Bloody Mary.

Comment

”Good, plain food", for me, does not involve mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise or, thinking about it, any sauce-like muck at all. I'll tolerate pepper, on high days and holidays, and that's it.
                                                  This is almost exactly my view of the world, if it wasn’t for Nando’s. I’m a sucker for their hot sauce.

Comment

"horseradish sauce" that you can buy in the UK is rubbish . Plain old horseradish however, undiluted by whatever bollocks they smother it in in those sauces, is the stuff of the gods. Blows your sinuses clean out mind you (like wasabi to which it is somehow related)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X