Vegan sausage roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegan sausage roll

I tried one this morning from Greggs in Piccadilly Gardens. Not bad. Not as greasy. No gristle. Nice texture and the heavily herbed flavour you expect if you're used to eating veggie sausage.

I must admit I'm a little confused by the reaction to these vegan efforts (it goes beyond the usual vegan opposition oddness). It's being seeing as a bakery kowtowing to POLITICAL CORRECTNESS as opposed to exploiting a growth market to further sales. Piers Morgan, who we also need a less greasy and gristly version of it, led the cries of opposition, and was joined by an MP, and some other dickheads.

When the FLA were in Manchester, me and a mate followed them about a bit to see what was what. In Castlefield Bowl, where they arranged to meet due to its size and the expected crowd of thousands (50 odd turned up) and there was a pork food concession. In a divided country, pork appears to be the drawn battle line. It's not about left v right any more, it's about pork v no pork. We are unceasingly and increasingly weird.

Anyway. Vegan sausage roll was a quid. Had it with tomato soup. Would eat again.

Nothing vegetarian should be allowed to be called sausage or hamburger.
    It should be a priority to make such a law in the Brussel bureaucrat selfpatting humpfest.

I have no problem with vegetarianism or this movement that we should chow in less meat, but make up your own names.

Comment

Nah, you people don't own the word sausage.

Comment

If "Brussels" required sausages and ground beef to contain an indentifiable proportion of actual meat, you would hear squeals from a number of long-standing producers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
          Nothing vegetarian should be allowed to be called sausage or hamburger.
          It should be a priority to make such a law in the Brussel bureaucrat selfpatting humpfest.

I have no problem with vegetarianism or this movement that we should chow in less meat, but make up your own names.
          Quorn southern fried burgers are so good. Better than chichen burgers easily.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Nah, you people don't own the word sausage.
            You can own pirozhki if we can have sausage.

Comment

Chicken burger is even more evil than a cow one.
              As if a chicken isn't small enough to traumatize then slaughter, then you’re semi-mincing it?

Comment

I'm glad that Greggs are producing something veggie/vegan that I find palatable. I don't think much of their cheese and onion bakes.

Comment

The Greggs in Piccadilly Gardens Is the only bakery I am aware of that has a security guard.

Comment

I’m not particularly fussed about the Greggs stuff but the people who get upset about this are quite frankly comical. You would think those “Halal is cruel” types would welcome non-meat products…

Anyhow, I have Quorn peppered steaks in the fridge (well nice) and Quorn nuggets in the freezer (honestly, you don’t need to bother with real ones, easiest way to cut on meat if chicken nuggets are your thing), I also have LMC “chorizo” sausages which are pretty decent. We generally buy Quorn sausages (to go with potato wedges and beans) but I prefer the Cauldron Cumberland ones, unlike the missus.

I have switched a fair bit of my meat intake to substitute in the last few months, quite happy with it and I have also increased veggie meals a fair bit.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                      Piers Morgan, who we also need a less greasy and gristly version of it
                      Or better yet, no version of him at all.

No surprise that a meat-free product has pissed off the gammon heads.

Comment

Morgan should be encouraged to eat as much processed meat products as possible. Anything that helps reduce his life expectancy has to be good for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                          Or better yet, no version of him at all.
                          Someone should stage a Least Likeable British Person where only non-Brit on this board can vote.
                          I have a feeling he would end up top three.

Comment

If vegan is allowed, I assume that the only distinguishing feature of a sausage is its shape. My preference is that it has to be crispy; undercooked sausage is a menace.

Comment

If "Brussels" required sausages and ground beef to contain an indentifiable proportion of actual meat, you would hear squeals from a number of long-standing producers.
                              More likely to hear whinnies and eeyores.
                              Last edited by hobbes; 08-01-2019, 16:50.

Comment

The gammon reaction to this is even less coherent than normal. They seem upset that a business is catering to an underserved market and trying to make money out of it. And they seem very upset that a low cost, "proletarian" food chain is doing it rather than it coming from an overpriced sandal wearing middle class organic producer. They'd not be upset if Duchy Originals made a vegan sausage roll, but allowing the Greggs Eating Peasants to choose to avoid meat is, somehow, much worse.

Comment

I just had some vegan "meat"balls for dinner. My review: they weren't terrible.

I'd imagine most of the frothing coming from the gammon contingent has something to do with vegan sausage rolls being halal. In view of that I think they should give up all the other things which are halal, to prove their point.

Comment

Seriously? Don't you see how stupid that is? Vegan Meat Balls?
                                    Fucking hell.
                                    Like I said, I don't have anything against vegetarians or food they eat. Some of it can be better than eating a stake. But stop with the bloody calling it meatish. It's schizo.

Comment

You do not want me to put up an avatar. You really don't. It will be the most annoying thing you've ever seen.

Comment

There are two Greggs near my work but only one of them is doing the vegan sausage roll - the one that isn't is in an area associated with deprivation.

I've only had one of the new rolls so far and found it underwhelming. Would have been much more interesting imo to do a vegan roll, like a mini wellington, as you could get a lot more flavour into it - might also avoid the ire of carnivores precious about the words used to describe food (I wonder if some of those meat words derived from non-meat use).

Comment

As a cleverer-than-me person pointed out on Twitter, the sort of people who get exercised over vegan 'sausage rolls' or 'meat balls' don't seem so bothered by Easter Eggs not actually being eggs.

It's an odd linguistic hill to choose to die on, but each to their own.
                                          Last edited by Lurgee; 09-01-2019, 08:16.

Comment

I've heard complaints that people in poor areas are being discriminated against by the way they have been introduced.

And don't complain about "sausages" or "burgers" being used for non-meat options until you can show where they naturally occur on animals. They are shapes.

Comment

I had one today, it was very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
                                                As a cleverer-than-me person pointed out on Twitter, the sort of people who get exercised over vegan 'sausage rolls' or 'meat balls' don't seem so bothered by Easter Eggs not actually being eggs.

It's an odd linguistic hill to choose to die on, but each to their own.
                                                Yep, that perpetual hurdle both irks and amuses me in equal measures (ie, not very much either way, tbh).

Not being a frequenter of Gregg's, I've yet to try one of these vegan sausage rolls. I'm guessing it would require the application of a fair bit of mustard? (We have a Gregg's here in Balham - maybe I'll give one a go for lunch tomorrow.)

Comment

"I'm guessing it would require the application of a fair bit of mustard?"

Nah. It tastes like herbs. They're ok. Though mustard, of course, wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X