No announcement yet.

Vegan sausage roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you order bean soup here it's a given that it will have some form of smoked ham in it.

Comment

Boston baked bean recipes almost always include salt pork . The 'baked bean' is a bit misleading there in that, while the dish does include beans and is baked, it takes about 36 hours to make from start to finish so is almost the polar opposite of the popular tinned staple in terms of why and when one might decide to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        If you order bean soup here it's a given that it will have some form of smoked ham in it.
        Is vegetarianism any sort of thing in Transylvania? One of the things that puts me off travelling much further than western Europe is finding something to eat, especially when I don't know the language.

Comment

In the bigger towns you can easily find vegetarian restaurants, or restaurants with vegetarian options. Even in smaller places there is increasingly a section of the menu that is entitled "vegetarian" these days (though it tends to be very short, and for the most part tends to begin and end with deep fried breaded cheese, which is not my cup of tea at all).

However, even when i first came here 14 years ago you could always easily get by - standard menus here you order the meat, and the potatoes, and the vegetables and salad separately. So I used to simply order a selection of side dishes, and it worked perfectly well. I still do fairly often.

Comment

As much as I'd like to go full veggie, I don't think I'm able to. So my plan is to cut down to having meat three times a week. Then, when that's nailed, I'll see if I can do two.

The issue is I don't really like veg, which is limiting for my menu. Even with chickpeas, lentils, Quorn and the rest of the lads, I end up having the same few meals in rotation, and it gets samey as fuck. But I'll give it a proper bash this year, until I go to South America, and spend four weeks inhaling beef, much to the distaste of the environment.

Comment

The following post has nothing to do with Transsylvania, so apologies if I am wasting everyone's time here. But the post will be about "further than western Europe", depending on one's definition of "western".

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
              Is vegetarianism any sort of thing in Transylvania? One of the things that puts me off travelling much further than western Europe is finding something to eat, especially when I don't know the language.
              My fiancée is a vegan. We were in Bratislava not too long ago, where we didn't speak a word of the local language. With assistance of the HappyCow app we had no trouble at all finding good places to eat where she had all the choices she could possibly want.

Your mileage may vary, especially outside of the bigger cities.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                Nothing to do with the meat-freeness of anything, but: Surely people apply mustard to things only when they want them to taste of mustard.

As I've said before, when I become King Of Germany, mustard will be shot at dawn.
                So the treibeis doesn't do mustard. Well, colour me astonished there!

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                I can remember my veggie ex ordering vegetable soup in Hong Kong and it having chunks of pork floating about in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

So the treibeis doesn't do mustard. Well, colour me astonished there!
                  Treibeis is wrong on so many things so often...

Comment

Nothing to do with the meat-freeness of anything, but: Surely people apply mustard to things only when they want them to taste of mustard.

As I've said before, when I become King Of Germany, mustard will be shot at dawn.
                    Until you're overthrown by an uprising of the Senfvolksfront.

I just had a Leberkässemmel with sweet mustard for breakfast and very nice it was too.

Comment

I once read that Duncan Edwards, when given good, plain food, would always clear his plate.

If that was true, then I'm the new Duncan Edwards. "Good, plain food", for me, does not involve mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise or, thinking about it, any sauce-like muck at all. I'll tolerate pepper, on high days and holidays, and that's it.

Comment

Everybody ate plain food - back in the 1950s. There are so many varieties of mustard - English, French, Dijon, wholegrain, American, deli, honey...etc, etc.

How somebody can make such a crazily wrong statement, I don't know.

Comment

Duncan Edwards was from Dudley so his idea of good, plain food was probably pigs' snouts stuffed with black pudding.

Comment

You see, I wouldn't touch that without a dab of Dijon on the side.

Comment

Possibly best taken with a dab of Hot English in your eyes so you wouldn't be able to see it.

Comment

(Obviously, I wouldn't touch it at all, but fair point.)

Comment

Mustard smells like vinegar would smell if it went off.

Comment

Where do we stand on piccalilli?

Comment

Platform 7 or 14 usually.

Oh right. Piccalilli.

Comment

I once got a clip round the ear from my mother - a mustard-eater - for referring to piccalilli as "pickled willy".

Comment

Mustard smells like vinegar would smell if it went off.
                                          Just effortlessly inaccurate.

Comment

"I once got a clip round the ear from my mother - a mustard-eater - for referring to piccalilli as 'pickled willy'."

Quite right too. Those are gherkins.

I'd put piccalilli along with boiled beetroot in my Pantry 101.

Comment

Spread some on yer roggenklotz and feel the love, Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                Duncan Edwards was from Dudley so his idea of good, plain food was probably pigs' snouts stuffed with black pudding.
                                                'Paes' have always been available for local vegetarians

Comment

I once got a clip round the ear from my mother - a mustard-eater - for referring to piccalilli as "pickled willy".
                                                  She already knew how you would turn out....

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

'Paes' have always been available for local vegetarians
                                                    Without their traditional accompaniment, a paes only diet might pall after a while. Even sooner with the traditional accompaniment.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X