No announcement yet.

Vegan sausage roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair enough. I was going by my probably-not-very-good memory of Gregg's products, which I assumed would be stodgy and bland.

Comment

Quorn makes me chuck my guts up way more painfully than any other chunder causing susbstance. It annoys my vegetarian friends no end when they cook as something like a quorn bolognaise can cater for everyone. So I'll give it a go saying maybe this time will be different, but no, every bloody time back it comes.

I'm sure I read once that more folk are intolerant to it than any other foodstuff, something like 6%, but I can't find that stat now, so maybe I dreamt it.

Quorn, love it for a few minutes, hate it for a few hours.

Comment

I don’t think I’ve had quorn or seen it for sale around here. I get tofurky sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          I'm guessing it would require the application of a fair bit of mustard?
          Nothing to do with the meat-freeness of anything, but: Surely people apply mustard to things only when they want them to taste of mustard.

As I've said before, when I become King Of Germany, mustard will be shot at dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
            It's schizo.
            It's really not. Let's make 2019 the year we stop doing this.

Comment

Wish Greggs would open up in Ireland. Yis are making me want one of these sausage roll things now. And mibees a steak bake.

Comment

Greggs are shit, you're not missing owt.

Comment

Yeah, prob so. Not even sure I’ve ever partaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                    I don’t think I’ve had quorn or seen it for sale around here. I get tofurky sometimes.
                    Quorn has launched in the US, but is hardly anywhere. It's a fungus based meat substitute. The closest equivalent in terms of ubiquity in the US is probably Morningstar Farms, which I far prefer as a product. Morningstar is soy based rather than fungus. Neither of them are generally vegan as they use egg as a binder - apparently it's a complete bastard to make vegan versions of this stuff because it's hard to get a binder and it's really hard to get decent protein content which people seem to want in their fake-meat.

Comment

Generally vegan versions use potato (starch?) as a binder.

Comment

Plymouth must have been the last city of reasonable size to get a Greggs. I think the youth like it but I'm surprised they bothered as one thing the city does well is pasty shops. Give me an Oggy Oggy, Friary Mill, Ivor Dewdney's or Rowe's any day. Vegan options are available too.

Comment

The only Quorn thing I've enjoyed were the chicken bits - which my wife put in a sweet and sour chicken. I was halfway through it before I even realised it wasn't actually chicken.

Quorn mince though I simply cannot get on with. There's nothing wrong with the taste - it's the texture. It's far too soft.

I'm definitely going to be trying the Quorn nuggets now though as this thread is not the first time I've heard good things about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                            Greggs are shit, you're not missing owt.
                            Paying £2.80 for a mediocre Latte is shit.

My first purchase at Greggs, probably 20 years ago, I came out thinking the paper bag weighed more than the contents and I didn't go back until recently and yeah, it's not great but I really like it as
                            • it opens here at 7:30am
                            • affordability (bacon roll and coffee for £2)
                            • the staff are great
                            • in the 'poor area' it seems to function as a community hub of sorts

I've probably just found my true level of dining out though.

Comment

There's no such thing as a true level of dining out. You like what you like, and fuck anyone who has an opinion on it.

Comment

Wasn't the whole thing by Morgan a stunt put together by his publicist who he shares with Gregg's?

Anyway, I went to a vegan restaurant recently which was shit - not for the fact it was vegan but that the food was really badly cooked, they kept running out of dishes and beer and the service was lousy. I was also taken aback by them offering "artichoke crab cakes" (and then telling me they were off) and "banana bloom fish and chips". They didn't even crack a smile when I said, "ooh, I assumed you wouldn't serve crab". I wasn't really a fan of their vegetarian falafel burger - which I ended up with due to the amount of dishes that were off - but that was more that that they were essentially one massive overcooked falafel rather than the name.

Comment

I do like to think Quorn's vegetarian gammon roast is a deliberate piss-take though.

Comment

The Quorn mince is only good in a chili, i tried a bolo with it and it was rank...

Another substitute i have come across is Oumph, chicken like strips that come in various flavours (salt and pepper is my favourite) and you can stirfry straight from frozen in 10 minutes. Quite a fan meself...

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                      Generally vegan versions use potato (starch?) as a binder.
                                      Oddly enough, I bought some vegan Quorn nuggets earlier today because they were half price in Sainsbury's. I haven't had the non-vegan ones for ages so my feedback may be of limited value.

Comment

"Wasn't the whole thing by Morgan a stunt put together by his publicist who he shares with Gregg's?"

No. The vegan sausage roll launch was handled in house, not by the external publicity company. Morgan is just a massive fucking twat.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                          There's no such thing as a true level of dining out. You like what you like, and fuck anyone who has an opinion on it.
                                          Never has a truer word been said on this board. If I want a sausage, cheese and bean slice, I'm having a sausage, cheese and bean slice.

Comment

I'd like a bean and potato pie right now for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

It's really not. Let's make 2019 the year we stop doing this.
                                              Hear you. I'll give it my best shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                I'd like a bean and potato pie right now for some reason.
                                                I may have mentioned before the time my long time vegetarian cousin bought a bean and potato pie in Anstruther and bit into it only to discover a layer of minced lamb hiding at the bottom. He hadn't even asked if it was vegetarian, perhaps an unwise assumption to make in Fife.

In terms of potential purchasers, those wanting bean and potato pies as a non-meat option must surely outnumber the group who would consider trying a bean and potato pie if only it had some meat in it. Usually when you order something described as a cheese and onion slice it isn't necessary to ask whether it is seasoned with steak and kidney.

Comment

I had a similar experience when I ordered a bean soup in Eastern Canada. I discovered meat in it and queried this with the waitress who was surprised that I was surprised. There (Nova Scotia) and then (late-90s), I presume, meat was just generally assumed to be a base ingredient for any number of different soup flavours.

Comment

A lot of soup recipes used to (still do?) include chicken stock as the default option. I suppose it's not such a jump from that to having visible pieces despite the headline flavour being meat free, if you aren't coming at it from the position of meat free being your bottom line objective.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X