Peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peanuts

I visited the Peanuts exhibition at Somerset House and greatly enjoyed it, despite most of it being very familiar to me as an aficionado for 45 years. The cartoons were well chosen, though it brought back to me how often they were really more about the emotion and existential strife of the characters rather than funny ha-ha. There were other exhibits by artists "inspired" by Peanuts one or two of which seemed a bit tenuous and not offering much evidence of engagement with the series. But I did enjoy this, which I hadn't seen before - R. Sikoryak's mash-up of Peanuts and Kafka's The Metamorphosis.

Anyone a fan of the cartoon? It seems to have enjoyed a bit of a critical revival lately. I always thought the TV versions made a mistake in using real kids to voice over the characters, given how "adult" the dialogue generally was - I thought they should have done a Simpsons and used adult actors. Still, that was always compensated for by the Vince Guaraldi soundtracks, which did a lot of work in conveying the nuance and melancholy underlying the series - jazz is good at that.

https://lithub.com/kafka-meets-charl...LQsMB2y-MmWOGg

Pages 2 and 3 of this thread ended up as a discussion of Peanuts most recently https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...saw-them/page2

Comment

There used to be a Bukowski Peanuts mash-up on the internet but it disappeared yonks back. A shame, though the Smiths Peanuts makes up for it a bit.

I loved the exhibition. Peanuts was a massive part of my childhood, though I enjoy it a completely different way now I'm an adult.

Comment

Here's the Peanuts/Manchester merchandising crossover, EIM.

Snoopy's looking a bit frazzled after the recording sessions in Barbados went badly awry.

Comment

Mrs Thistle is a massive fan. I like Peanuts but not to the extent she does.

Still, the Charles Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa is one of the best museums I've ever been to, and eating lunch in the Warm Puppy Cafe at the ice rink next door was one of those very memorable moments that happen rarely in life. (You get your fries served in a supper dish)

Comment

The Peanuts strips/books were great.

I pointed out all my misgivings about the animated versions 'pon that other thread, however.

Comment

This thread about how Franklin joined the strip- a few months after Martin Luther king was murdered

https://twitter.com/almostjingo/status/1070865940349300736

- and this piece about how he got his last name
              suggest Schultz was a good guy. In fact he appears to have been Charlie Brown,

Comment

I got a rock.

Comment

I've got a Marcie tattoo.

Comment

I love you, Casper. (My nickname in latterdays of school, was Caspar, cos, whiteys.)

Comment

Working...
                    X