Ecological my ar….?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecological my ar….?

This is a given in any of the 4-5 largest Swedish grocery store chains. I wonder how it looks elsewhere in the world?
    The things labeled “ecological” with a big, fat, green logo, are in plastic. The ones not marketed ecological, are not in plastic.
    Without fail.

A typical counter. The pears wrapped up like they’re about to be sent into space as food for astronauts is labeled ecological, the other pears above them are not ecological.

Whoever buys these ecological apples in prettily wrapped sets of four like it’s tennis balls one is buying and not fruit, must be a weird person. I have never, ever in my life seen someone put them or anything similar in their cart, nor stood in line ahead or after someone who had them in their cart. But they are continuously there on display so there must be a demand. Someone is buying the crap. In my head I imagine those people must be morons. Pre-chosen, probably hand washed by a virgin unicorn, then slapped inside a big plastic wrapper so that the ecological logo can be printed somewhere with all its bragging rights. The red apples below, and the green further away, are of course not granted the label ecological.

Potato is also funny.
    This is ecological potato. Make no mistake about it. It’s printed on the front, twice, in large letters as to make sure no one is missing out how brilliantly ecological they are, and they’ve been pre-chosen for you. You don’t even have to go through the hassle of dirtying your fingers when dropping them in your cart.

These potato, on the other hand, are not ecological. The bastards you actually have to choose and scoop up yourself.

Here, 90% of all the ecological fruit and vegetables are wrapped in plastic so desperately you’d think someone was trying to choke it. 90% of the fruit and vegetables not allowed to be branded ecological, is not in plastic.
    Cucumbers in plastic, ecological. Cucumbers free of plastic, not.
    Tomato
    Carrots
    Parnsip
    You name it. All the ecological ones are choked in plastic. Maybe the artichoke likes it but the rest?

Paprika simply makes me think the world is deranged. Whoever buys those pre-packed sets of three in plastic with a green, a red, and a yellow paprika?
    Now, I know ecological means how the things were grown, without which pesticides, but still. It does my head in how something with so much plastic shit around it is allowed be marketed as oh so ecological.

The term here is "organic", and if they are wrapped in plastic (which isn't particularly common), it is to give the consumer confidence that they have not been tainted by non-organic produce. The rules for "organic" can be easily gamed, which makes the term largely meaningless.

We have the multi-colour pepper packages here too. Their only possible use is for salads, crudites platters or stir frys that are designed to look striking rather than taste good (though in a weird way, the fact that they have been industrialised to the point where they taste very similar helps in this one regard).
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 01-01-2019, 17:24.

Comment

I do a lot of wok. I love my wok pan. Everyone should have a wok. Especially EIM. And I never, ever do it with paprika pre-chosen in plastic for me even though I very often use it as an ingredient.

Comment

What do Swedes call the orange/red spice from Hungary?

Comment

You got me there.
          Are you by any chance referring to Vegeta or something similar?

Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 01-01-2019, 19:15.

Comment

No.

This stuff

It is called Paprika in English, whereas the vegetables are Peppers.

Comment

Oh, yes. My mom uses that in just about everything boiling more than 30 minutes on the stove. We have our own Croatian version.
              Swedes? Not so much, if ever.

It was only with the entry of my folks generation in the late 1960's (From former Yugoslavia, greeks, italians, hungarians....) that ordinary grocery stores started to sell garlic. When my mom and father arrived here 1968 and they wanted to buy garlic to cook with, it took ages for them to find it. Because it was only sold in pharmacies in Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                No.

This stuff

Yes, of course. Never learn to remember that.

Comment

Another reason for the plastic encasement of vegetables is to have something to put a barcode on, for (self-) scanning.

Comment

You also had to go to the chemist to buy olive oil in the UK back in the 60s...what a strange and scary place it must have been back then...

Comment

Swedes probably don't have a name for anything more spicy than black peppercorns.

Falafel can be ordered with "stark sĺs", but it's certainly not strong sauce.

Comment

You don't have weighing scales? *

In plenty of our stores, you pick up your vegetables or fruit, then walk over to a weighing scale, put it there, pick whatever it is from the display and a sticker comes out with a barcode.

* Edit: I mean in your stores. Not that you don't have them as a concept.
                        Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 01-01-2019, 19:22.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                          Swedes probably don't have a name for anything more spicy than black peppercorns.

Falafel can be ordered with "stark sĺs", but it's certainly not strong sauce.
                          The most spicy food Swedes ever encountered before the big immigrant wave of the 1960's, was probably pineapple or salad made of dandelion leaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                            You also had to go to the chemist to buy olive oil in the UK back in the 60s...what a strange and scary place it must have been back then...
                            Really?
                            That's rather interesting.

Can there be a connection here, the garlic and the olive oil, that it was "sold" as some kind of medicine? Not like a cure but something snake oily still?
                            We all know today that garlic is very healthy for you, as is olive oil. Not as a cure, but as preventive thing.
                            You can walk into a pharmacy today and see capsules sold with a big garlic next to the logo.

Comment

Whoever buys those pre-packed sets of three in plastic with a green, a red, and a yellow paprika?
                              We do. Well I say 'we', it's not for me since I fucking hate peppers. The main reason we get those rather than 3 separate non-packaged peppers is that in our supermarket a pack of three is Ł1 whereas the loose peppers are 55p each.

Comment

No.

This stuff

Paprika is actually the Hungarian word for the vegetable (or is it a fruit). The powder is referred to here as "piros paprika" (red paprika) or sometimes Szegedi piros paprika (red paprika from Szeged - that town being the source of the ne plus ultra of paprika). Thus paprika is one of the 6 words in English that originates in Hungarian.

In Australia they call the vegetables capsicum.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                  We do. Well I say 'we', it's not for me since I fucking hate peppers. The main reason we get those rather than 3 separate non-packaged peppers is that in our supermarket a pack of three is Ł1 whereas the loose peppers are 55p each.
                                  Here they are always sold by weight. though sometimes fruit such as mangoes or papaya are sold by units.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                    That's understandable then.

A quick check in the largest food store here:
                                    Red pepper pick-yourself 51,80 kr/kg (divide by 10 for approx. in Ł)
                                    Yellow pepper 68,44 kr/kg
                                    Green pepper 74,69 kr/kg
                                    Set of three pre-wrapped with red, yellow, green (they actually sell them as "traffic light") is 79,75 kr/kg
                                    And then they have a pick-yourself-counter unwrapped mixed red-yellow-green where it's 133,16 kr/kg

But if you buy only one, they do charge per pepper in some stores instead of weight.

Comment

I know a guy who, when rounding off to the nearest krona was introduced, went to the supermarket and tried to buy one potato by weight. His logic was that it should have been rounded to zero krona.

Comment

not been tainted by non-organic produce.
                                        And here's where the plastic it's wrapped up in, comes saves it all.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                          I know a guy who, when rounding off to the nearest krona was introduced, went to the supermarket and tried to buy one potato by weight. His logic was that it should have been rounded to zero krona.
                                          That's bloody funny!

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            Paprika is actually the Hungarian word for the vegetable (or is it a fruit)
                                            The everlasting question. From what I have learned, there is no such thing as fruit or vegetable, really in how we tend to think about them. We tend to think that fruit is sweet and a vegetable is not an orange. Almost always green as well.

The thing is that a fruit is a fruit. As in "the fruit of this plant", after "the flower of this plant has bloomed and turned into something else".

Chestnut is a fruit. Why?
                                            Because after the tree has bloomed, it produces a seasoned new spectacular.

So, actually, almost everything we eat is a fruit. And vegetables, at the same time.

"Your life is the fruit of your own doing" - Hell do I know who said that
                                            "The trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit" - Moliere
                                            "When you start a business, go for the lowest hanging fruit" - Ice T

"Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat" - Fran Lebowitz
                                            Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 02-01-2019, 23:19.

Comment

See? Everything is fruit, and vegetables, and good for you.

Comment

Comment

I think the wrapping is mostly to stop people 'accidentally' presenting over-priced organic stuff as if it was bog standard when they get to the check out.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X