X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all our readers.

Lang may your lum reek.

In other news, piss off 2018. I know it is only the end of the amount of days that the earth travels around the sun and has no real effect on event in our lives but it has been a particularly bad one. I have a lot to be thankful for and know that I am blessed (in one or two cases with minor miracles) in so many ways but it has been hard work this year. Aside from what has happened to my family, death and illness - specifically cancer - has affected many of our loved ones. On a wider scale, the ongoing situations in Yemen, Palestine, Syria and Myanmar; Brexit, Trump and the upsurge in intolerance precipitated by both; the continuing inequality between the homeless, the poor, the sick and generally disadvantaged and those that run this country (along with the dismantling of the public services that support there former) have all been profoundly depressing. From other people's posts and Facebook statuses, I appears that many people have had a similar year.

So, with that in mind, it is a very heartfelt Happier New Year that I wish you all.

Comment

Happy consensus New Year!

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
        In other news, piss off 2018. I know it is only the end of the amount of days that the earth travels around the sun and has no real effect on event in our lives but it has been a particularly bad one.
        Yeah, I hear you.

Uncle (my Godfather when I was christened and father’s best friend) who’s been in a home due to schizophrenia since I was a child has managed to escape and take off to Los Angeles, Zurich, London and Amsterdam. Every time found on the streets by the police, totally lost, detained, sent back after a while. How they manage to not do something in the home where he’s at and paying for it, is beyond us. Only positive is that he’s been very well taken care of in each and every country once they found him on the streets.

My mother is due (perhaps) surgery for a tumor that’s not too good. It’s right below the ear and was she younger they’d do the surgery immediately. But with her age they’ve said there’s a too high risk of half her face or more being paralyzed.

Meanwhile my father’s Parkison has expressed into all kind of sad, with that old friend dementia setting in quickly as if one wasn’t enough. I’ve been sleeping over at my folks place a lot, to ease the burden a bit. It’s not easy to watch your old man, whom you remember could lift a boulder, suddenly have to use a walker. It’s even worse when you’re sat in the living room and he’s stood there for a while just watching straight forward, you ask him if something’s up and he says “This isn’t the bathroom, is it?”. Or just coming from the bathroom back to the living room minutes later, confused and you ask again what’s up with the reply “this isn’t the bedroom, is it?”. And then one day it seems brilliant. The next he can’t even get up from bed because the brain has forgotten how to move the feet.

And own shit on top of that.

But bring on 2019, I have hopes for 2019. Odd years and those ending with a 9, I have a special place in my heart for them. Even though there is no WC or EC.

Happy New Year to all.

Comment

Bestwishes PPV and ahc, and TT.

But I ain't saying it until midnight tonight.

Comment

And unforgettably BoE.

Comment

In other news, piss off 2018. I know it is only the end of the amount of days that the earth travels around the sun and has no real effect on event in our lives but it has been a particularly bad one. I have a lot to be thankful for and know that I am blessed (in one or two cases with minor miracles) in so many ways but it has been hard work this year. Aside from what has happened to my family, death and illness - specifically cancer - has affected many of our loved ones. On a wider scale, the ongoing situations in Yemen, Palestine, Syria and Myanmar; Brexit, Trump and the upsurge in intolerance precipitated by both; the continuing inequality between the homeless, the poor, the sick and generally disadvantaged and those that run this country (along with the dismantling of the public services that support there former) have all been profoundly depressing. From other people's posts and Facebook statuses, I appears that many people have had a similar year.

So, with that in mind, it is a very heartfelt Happier New Year that I wish you all.
              I'll second that. Hope Bored Jnr is OK, or on the right path at least.

2018 will be remembered by me for being made redundant at short notice after 15 years with that company at the start of the year; being unemployed for 6 months; getting a job in a way that makes for a good anecdote; and ending the year being best man at my best mate's wedding last weekend.

All of that and my autistic son, who has just turned five, saying his first words in November. That was possibly the best moment of my life, let alone this year.

Comment

Happy 2019 everyone, and best wishes to all of us enduring challenges.

Comment

Yes, here's to a wonderful healthy, happy 2019 for everyone.

Comment

Happy New Year, you lot. 2018 was alright by my standards, the goal now is to make it two good'uns in a row.

Brian McClair sends his new year messages in Gaelic. How about that.

Comment

Glad to know you both avoided the unpleasantness at Victoria

Comment

There was, perhaps predictably, a lot of police about for the fireworks at the town hall, but absolutely no signs of trouble outside of Victoria.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfnp1977 View Post

All of that and my autistic son, who has just turned five, saying his first words in November. That was possibly the best moment of my life, let alone this year.
                          That is very cool!

In Albuquerque there is a winter storm warning for the next day and a half that will likely be seriously high winds versus high snow totals. Low temps have been in single digits (farenheit) last few days and for next couple of days to come.

Screw much of 2018 - let's go 2019!

Comment

2018?

Comment

A very Happy and prosperous New Year to all otf-ers out there. May at least one of your dreams come true.

Comment

I am at home waiting to go to work, and the local network is showing the fireworks etc from The Strip (400k there, which is insane, as it's fucking freezing). Someone called the Spazmatics are on TV absolutely ruining "Relax".

Comment

That is fantastic news.

We were told my that my son would never speak. Now we can't shut him up. At his Christmas Carol service just gone, he sang Little Donkey, solo.

I cried.

Comment

Lovely.

Comment

Happy New Year!!

I've listed my resolutions in Excel and made a visualisation in PowerPoint.

Lots of them.

Comment

This strikes me as an excellent technique to assure that they are ignored

YMMV

Comment

I'll second that. Hope Bored Jnr is OK, or on the right path at least.

2018 will be remembered by me for being made redundant at short notice after 15 years with that company at the start of the year; being unemployed for 6 months; getting a job in a way that makes for a good anecdote; and ending the year being best man at my best mate's wedding last weekend.

Fabulous!! Brings a lump to my grizzled old throat.

Comment

getting a job in a way that makes for a good anecdote
                                            You are Lt. Dub AICMFP.

Comment

Working...
                                            X