Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry being late to this party.

Eee.

Aren't the nights starting to draw out again?

(With apologies to contributors in the Southern Hemisphere)

Not really, no. It's an extra 50 seconds a day at the moment.

Comment

I've been telling Fussbudget this, but she seems unconvinced.

Comment

10 more minutes here since mid December.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/sheffield

Comment

Happens every year.

Call the cops.

Comment

Eh? You've had an extra 5 mins since 22nd Dec, spread out between morning and evening.
            The days only really start getting noticeboard longer around mid March. Definitely when the clocks change to British Sensible Time.

Comment

10 more minutes here since mid December.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/sheffield

ha ha, Del Usory is the perfect poster name for you! As hobbes pointed out, the duration of today's daylight is only around five minutes longer than on 22 Dec (in fact longer by 5 mins 25 seconds). I'll give you an extra second as it's 5 mins 26 seconds longer than the shortest day, 21 Dec. I'm guessing that you have looked only at the sunset times and noticed that sunset is around 10 mins later than the earliest sunsets in the 11 to 15 December period, but overlooked the fact that the sunrise today is seven minutes later than the latest sunrise in that period. At this time of year the centering of the day is shifting back, which is why the earliest sunset is around 13 Dec, several days before the shortest day, whilst the latest sunrise is around now-ish, several days after the shortest day.

Comment

The sunset time was the whole point.

That and "this happens every year"

Comment

Who did Del Usory used to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Del Usory View Post
                    The sunset time was the whole point.
                    Word. Who cares about mornings.

Comment

It's interesting how the sunrise time has hardly changed since the solstice but sunset is later every day. 4pm sunset yesterday, one tiny milestone on our way back to the light....

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                        Word. Who cares about mornings.

Quite

Comment

I am not sure I understand this thread. I understand the broad central subject but not the dispute (nor title)

Comment

A summary of the facts as I understand them:
                            • Guy is saying that where he lives the sun is now setting 10 minutes later than it was in mid-December. This is correct.
                            • hobbes and EEG are saying that daytime has in fact only increased by 5-6 minutes since mid-December, as sunset is indeed about 10 minutes later, but sunrise is also getting later at this time of year which eats into the daytime increase. This is also correct.
                            • The "dispute" is due to people talking at cross-purposes.
                            • The thread title is presumably referring to the fact that this phenomenon started happening on either (depending on which of the two metrics you care about) the 13th or the 21st of December, so the thread is late in reporting this news to us.

Comment

TFW when one is intensely grateful for a kind poster with a Cartesian education.

Comment

Cartesian is a word that needs to be used more.

Comment

Thank you Fussbudget and I agree with the last two posts. Very much the quintessential OTF thread.

Comment

Glad to be of some help. I'm told I have a particular knack for overexplaining everything, so it's nice when it comes in handy once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                      Cartesian is a word that needs to be used more.
                                      Well, well, well!

Comment

Working...
                                      X