• Show
Clear All

Slappable faces in political punditry

Chuck Todd has to be right up there with a shot at the title:

Strictly speaking an ex-pundit.

Comment

God, there aren't many who aren't slappable.

Tucker Carlson:

Nick Robinson:

Michelle Malkin:

Sean Hannity:

Simon Heffer:

Bill Kristol:

David Frum:

David "Fucking" Aaronovitch:

Comment

I'm assuming that the thread title wasn't meant literally, so I can include a woman. Janet Daley, whose bad punditry has led to a professorship (can you guess which university?)

Comment

Great list, Ginger, but you forgot...

Rush Limp-baugh

Comment

I thought about him, but, you know, he's got a face for radio.

Comment

Looks like Philip Seymour Hoffman will play him in the biopic.

Comment

Andrew "choppy waters" Rawnsley.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                  Strictly speaking an ex-pundit.

ex-pundit but still a cunt

Simon Heffer:

Fascism with a slappable face

The Loose Women team
                  Tom Braby
                  Kelvin McKenzie
                  Trevor Kavanagh
                  Bernard Ingham

Comment

Fucking Simon Heffer turned up in one of my old Wisdens. Quite often they let someone unpleasant do a column for them, but usually cricket brings out their better qualities. For instance the seriously nasty Leo McKinstry has written some excellent stuff. Heffer however managed to get political correctness in to a section on Test Match Special because they had a black woman commentating.

Comment

There aren't too many people that do TV punditry that don't deserve a beating. With a few exceptions like The Charlie Rose show, the whole exercise of facile "debate" focused on all the wrong issues is emminently slap-worthy.

Comment

Heffer however managed to get political correctness in to a section on Test Match Special because they had a black woman commentating.
                        I presume he was referring to Donna Symmonds, the Barbadian commentator and lawyer? She's got an excellent perspective and it was a shame she wasn't involved much during the last West Indies tour.

It's probably an MCC/ Longroom thing.

Comment

I've never heard of most of the people above (but we've been here before haven't we - insert smiley thing).

I do reckon, though, that Nick Robinson ought to be exempted. Not because he's any less of a smarmy smug prat than the others, but because the appearance he adopts (choice of spectacles, facial expressions, publicity poses etc. all combined with the physiognomy he had the misfortune to inherit, being the one component not his fault) amounts, overall, to a caricature of a wanker-prat. He's like some Viz character whose adventures would appear under the regular sub-heading "Specky Twat, he's a Wanker-Prat".

Comment

Hah, I thought 'Michael Gove' as soon as I saw this thread. And there he is, second post.

Comment

This particular still tempted me to start a new thread, Fuckable faces in political punditry, but then I thought better of it.

Comment

I really don't understand the supposed attractiveness of Malkin. I mean, she looks OK in her publicity shots, but whenever she opens her mouth (literally or metaphorically), she becomes hideously ugly (literally and metaphorically).

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                  Fucking Simon Heffer turned up in one of my old Wisdens. Quite often they let someone unpleasant do a column for them, but usually cricket brings out their better qualities. For instance the seriously nasty Leo McKinstry has written some excellent stuff. Heffer however managed to get political correctness in to a section on Test Match Special because they had a black woman commentating.
                                  So, where do you stand on John Major's forays into cricket lit?

Comment

Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly would get kicks square in the nuts...repeatedly.

Comment

Wot? No Brillo?

Comment

There is a very cute African-American woman doing punditry on CNN frequently. She is an utter delight to look at with a most beautiful smile. She could be my dream woman. Except that she is being introduced as "Republican pundit". Bah!

Comment

I'll second the Tom Braby shout. It's my own class hatreds bubbling up, but he just strikes me as an archetypal smug prep-school-to-Oxbridge cunt.

Comment

BrunoMaggiore wrote:

This particular still tempted me to start a new thread, Fuckable faces in political punditry, but then I thought better of it.
                                            I think she deserves more of a punch than a slap.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                              I really don't understand the supposed attractiveness of Malkin. I mean, she looks OK in her publicity shots, but whenever she opens her mouth (literally or metaphorically), she becomes hideously ugly (literally and metaphorically).
                                              She reminds me of a carp. An ugly carp. And a harpy too.

She's a carpy

Comment

Comment

One more I forgot: Debbie Schlussel

Now, it's not her fault she looks like that, unlike, say, Tucker Carlson. But it is her fault she writes like this:

Reader "Infinite" asks it:

Why is it that China is fighting islamic fundamentalists the way we should be fighting Islamic fundamentalists especially during Ramadan?
                                                  That's a great question. The answer is that China is far more fierce, these days, about protecting its country's borders and national security than we are. And perhaps the Chi-Coms have a stronger will for their nation to survive than ours. Their students aren't more concerned with what Lindsay Lohan and the kids on "The Hills" are gonna do next.

Oh, and also, the Constitution prohibits us from establishing a national religion or preferring one . . . unless it's Islam.
                                                  She goes on to approvingly quote a news article describing draconian anti-Muslim laws in Xinjiang.

The Web site of the town of Yingmaili lists nine rules put in place to "maintain stability during Ramadan."

They include barring teachers and students from observing Ramadan, prohibiting retired government officials from entering mosques and requiring men to shave off beards and women to take off veils. Mosques may not let people from outside the town stay overnight, and restaurants must maintain normal hours of business. (Many restaurants close during daytime hours over Ramadan because of the fasting, which is supposed to last from sunrise to sunset. Muslims observing Ramadan typically eat substantial meals at night.)

In nearby Xinhe County, the government has decreed that Communist Party members, civil servants and retired officials not observe Ramadan, enter mosques or take part in any religious activities during the month. Worshipers cannot make pilgrimages to tombs, so as to "avoid any group event that might harm social stability," according to the Xinhe government's Web site.

In addition, children and students cannot be forced to attend religious activities, and women cannot be forced to wear veils.

County rules also stress the need to maintain a strict watch over migrant workers and visitors from outside. Companies and families who have workers or visitors from outside the county are required to register the outsiders with the nearest police station and have the outsiders sign an agreement "on maintaining social stability." . . .

They hate us for our freedoms, you see. So we shouldn't have them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X