Gatwick In The Shit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatwick In The Shit

Drone prank closes the airport until at least 7pm. The authorities seem to have had no contingency plan in place.

My family and I are due to be flying out of there for a two week holiday on Saturday morning. Currently wondering what my travel agent or I might be able to do if flights are still not leaving then and if my insurance covers me if I book an alternate holiday.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Verity_Holloway/status/1075746306851786752
      Last edited by Kevin S; 20-12-2018, 15:49.

Comment

Or if you want a more professional solution - look to Japan.

Comment

Extinction rebellion?

Comment

Alternative thread title, with apologies to 10cc:

I'm Unmannedy (Don't) Fly Me

Comment

Shit, that's not good Ray. I hope you can get something sorted. This is what happens when you make idiot tech available to idiots.

Comment

It's been going on long enough to not be a prank anymore, surely? These things only fly for 20 minutes at a go. So it would need a few of them or constant recharging.
                And the amount of press there has been and the amount of disruption, if it was just kids messing about, surely they'd have stopped and be keeping their heads down in the hope they get away with it. Because hellfire is going to rain down on whoever it is if they're caught. And the longer it goes on, the smaller the chance of them not getting "accidentally" killed while being arrested. You don't shut down a country's second airport for more than a day without upsetting a lot of people in various security services who don't like being upset.

It's got to be some sort of protest group, presumably (although if it was you'd expect to see them hit Heathrow at the same time.)
                Last edited by hobbes; 20-12-2018, 16:21.

Comment

Originally posted by tuckwat View Post
                  Extinction rebellion?
                  Sounds plausible, but wouldn't they have said it was them already?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                    It's been going on long enough to not be a prank anymore, surely? These things only fly for 20 minutes at a go. So it would need a few of them or constant recharging.
                    And the amount of press there has been and the amount of disruption, if it was just kids messing about, surely they'd have stopped and be keeping their heads down in the hope they get away with it. Because hellfire is going to rain down on whoever it is if they're caught. And the.longer it goes on, the smaller the chance of them not getting "accidentally" killed while being arrested.
                    Quite. Far beyond a prank, it's targeted, cruel and presumably deliberately timed to disproportionately affect people looking to see their family over Christmas or going on family holidays, as opposed to business travellers at a random time of the year who might be less emotionally hit by it.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      They've already denied responsibility but some sort of environmental protest is feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                        Shit, that's not good Ray. I hope you can get something sorted. This is what happens when you make idiot tech available to idiots.
                        Thanks. Hoping they'll not let it go on past this evening and have called the army in to sort it.

As far as I can ascertain, it appears to be three separate incidents (two overnight and one around noon today) which could involve a short time in the air for all we know.

I'll not be watching 'Die Hard 2' tonight, that's for sure.

Comment

Flying something around jet engines is not a prank at all. A bird strike can easily take out the engine on a plane, as can a drone.

Comment

Whoever did this is going to get done under anti terror laws and be put away for a long time as a warning to others.

There's part of me that admires the non-lethal disruptive action. But then I'm not in Ray's shoes. If I was I would probably want whoever is doing this to end up with their head on a spike.

Comment

Quite astonishingly reckless. Tying up half?, third? of the country's air traffic, with knock on effects over western europe and, possibly, north america, in the pursuit of some half-assed prank or protest is, well, I'm speechless.

Good luck Ray. Hope they get it sorted and you can enjoy your holiday with the family.

Comment

I hope it's a foreign nations' Intel service taking the piss.

Andorra or sum such.

Comment

Apologies for calling it a prank. It's a reckless serious criminal action for which jail time is merited. Attempted murder maybe.

Comment

You're fine Satchmo - I think it more reflects the way some media outlets are reporting the story. I am pretty sure the people involved haven't really thought the scenario through.

Comment

proving the element of intent required for attempted murder would be difficult Satchmo but I agree, incarceration is justified.

Comment

An argument could be made for vaporizing Crawley as part of the hunt. It would save a great deal of future trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          Plane Stupid would be the obvious guess on this front?

Comment

Following this on twitter, it appears every time they try to re-open the runways, the drones reappear.

Alien invasion by midgets I reckon.

Comment

Oh Gawd, my friend is booked to fly back to Toronto from LGW tomorrow morning. I thought it was sorted.

Comment

Could the government not recruit a crack team of clay pigeon shooters for such an eventuality? It would be effective, cheap (allowing a member of government to stand up in Parliament and say without embarrassment 'we have invested upwards of £299 to resolve this') and fit in nicely with the whole Brexit England stands alone Dad's Army bullshit.

Comment

That has been covered. This isn't a movie, you can't just shoot into the sky. Any stray bullets will come down somewhere, and that is dangerous. It isn't worth accidentally killing someone just to get air flights going again.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X