Help me OTF with my random medical statistics query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me OTF with my random medical statistics query

Did we use to have a thread where people could ask the always benevolent OTF community for help with their various queries?

Anyway, this is a very long shot but here goes: for reasons that you'll have to trust are not sinister, I'm looking for the death rate or total number of deaths from a few diseases (pneumonia, scarlet fever, diphtheria, syphilis, possibly a few more) over the 20th century. Ideally for England/England & Wales/the UK but I can work with US data if it's easier to find.

Does anyone know where I can find these? I hoped the ONS or PHE websites might have them but they only seem to have figures for the last few years, and any Google search comes up with tons of anti-vaxxer shite (what the fuck is Health Sentinel and where do they get their figures from by the way? They seem to be polluting the internet big time.) This is not for some proper peer-reviewed project or anything so I don't really want to put a freedom of information request in, but if by any chance one of you good people knows if this can be found somewhere online that would be really helpful.

Census sites?

Comment

I think David Baddiel used to do a 'bit' about causes of death, read from a book, so there must be a collective thing. You might have to do the adding up, yourself.

I know that this definitely doesn't help, but I have been at the Dayquil.

Comment

Thanks Gero, I don't mind doing the adding up and the ONS has some very detailed stuff on causes of death but it doesn't cover the period I'm after unfortunately.

Comment

Depends how urgent it is but the wellcome trust library will have everything you need

Anyone can register. May well have it free online.

For example Medical officer of health report til 1972
          Last edited by Nefertiti2; 02-12-2018, 21:30.

Comment

Oh that looks promising, thanks Nef. I can't make it to the library but they seem to have plenty online.

Comment

They have an open access policy and have always been very helpful. and you should hook up with people who do History of medicine in the North East .

Comment

This might help. Dunno.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ars/2017-09-18

Comment

This is similar from the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/lead1900_98.pdf

Comment

WOM is right about the CDC. On state level each state's Department of Health is required to keep those stats.

Comment

Oh yes, those will do me nicely for pneumonia. Thanks WOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                        … and any Google search comes up with tons of anti-vaxxer shite.
                        Google Scholar is your best bet here. Although you have to frame your queries more scientifically (e.g. 'syphilis mortality' as opposed to 'deaths from syphilis').

Wikipedia references can also be useful.

Comment

Cheers Stumpy, I'll give Google Scholar a go.

Comment

WHO mortality rates since 1979

Comment

Wow, such a shame that this doesn't cover the period I need because that tool is amazing.

Comment

isn't it? they may well have the data you need and respond to an email

Comment

Working...
                                X