Military parades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    I don't know AHC, the lyrics to that march are....

"Let him Go, Let him tarry
    Let him sink or let him swim.
    For He doesn't care for me,
    Nor I care for him.
    Let him go and get another
    Whom I hope he will enjoy,
    Coz I'm Going to marry
    A far nicer boy."

The Real Ruby Murray

Nick, where do you think we got that stuff? There's plenty of Lee Enfield's on display in 1966
    Well, yes in 1939, but still in '66?

Comment

Do the royal marine commandos actually exist as a military unit, or are they just my dad's favourite band?

And I told you, we weren't spending a lot of money on this sort of thing. This is a pretty decent review of irish equipment through the ages.
      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 01-12-2018, 17:33.

Comment

Do the royal marine commandos actually exist as a military unit, or are they just my dad's favourite band?

And I told you, we weren't spending a lot of money on this sort of thing. This is a pretty decent review of irish equipment through the ages.
        Yes, they do. A brigade, which is about 7000-8000 strong.

Yes, I see what you're saying about kit. But seeing the history, I am surprised that by 1966, there wasn't a change in uniform at least. I mean, that looks like the British Army marching down the street.
        Last edited by NickSTFU; 01-12-2018, 17:45.

Comment

ah now AHC, sometimes we have to remind the people of Dundalk who the legitimate authorities of the state are. Some of them are slow to learn.
          Fuckin El Paso. And that accent. Makes Navan seem mellifluous. Decent team but.

Comment

your man makes reference to it, but the soldiers who went out to the congo went out there with that heavy Bulls wool uniform, and lee enfield rifles, and they nearly died of heat stroke so the swedes gave them their uniforms, and a bunch of other equipment, and they bought a bunch of FN FAL rifles after the Niemba massacre where 9 soldiers out of 11 were killed in a case of mistaken identity by luba tribesmen. (the UN were there to protect them from mercenaries hired by Katanga) It took them a while to buy more modern uniforms for the soldiers at home.

Maybe they were dressed in british army uniforms to confuse the british army? They were after all our most likely invaders.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
              No one pays any attention though.
              My sister-in-law posted some video of the recent Liverpool excursion and it is faintly surreal as they parade along, like a downscaled scene from The Four Feathers, past a few mildly interested pensioners, oblivious young mums and random others who lightly populate the weekday city streets. Got some nice photos in front of the Liver Building, mind.

Comment

The downside of Boys with their toys.

It seems that one of the main peace dividends in germany after the fall in the Berlin wall was that there were no longer huge numbers of tanks hurtling around Germany on exercises, and ripping up the roads. You don't need to be a civil engineer to imagine what a column of 60+ ton metal tracked vehicles do to a tarmac road designed for cars and trucks.

Meanwhile, when Russia decided to unveil their frankly terrifyingly advanced new tank, the Armata This happened. The Tank just sat there seemingly broken, until someone arrived from the factory, sat into the tank and drove it away. It later turned out that the tank was so new, that the Driver had engaged the handbrake and didn't know it was on.

now given that this was the unveiling of a new Super-weapon, this was pretty embarrassing. But it gets a lot more embarrassing. Now this Tank is the first tank to be developed by anyone in nearly 20 years, and instead of being a relatively low-tech tank designed to be built in massive numbers (As is the Russian way since WWII). They built 100,000 t-55s they built about 25,000 t-62s and about 25,000 t-72s. This is a state of the art tank, that is genuinely innovative. Instead of having two or three men in a huge turret and a driver down the front, the turret is unmanned and the three crewmen are in a heavily armoured capsule. Actually the Hull is supposed to be the commo part of a variety of vehicles, Russia was using the first victory parade after the War against the Ukraine to show it off. They had plans to build 2300 of between 2015 and 2025.

The Really embarrassing bit is that they can only afford to build 100 of them by 2020. They must be really super fucked for cash (or this tank is massively more expensive than they are letting on) because this is the sort of cock measuring thing nearest to their hearts. The Sanctions must have really ripped the heart out their finances.

Comment

Working...
                X