No announcement yet.

OTF a football board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to write all the birthday/Christmas/Easter/whatever cards for most of my immediate family. They're a little paranoid about the legibility of addresses and postcodes and apparently my handwriting is easy for the Royal Mail to read.

Comment

Have never used Facebook and have had a few discussions with friends in various places about my stubborn refusal to get on there. My feeling is that I can keep in touch well enough with emails/texts/Whatsapp/phone calls well enough and it's a perfectly natural development to have varying levels of contact with people over the course of time. I'm still in regular contact with mates from school, from uni and from my various stations in Germany and have never felt the urge to share all the details of my life online with a potentially limitless number of people. While (thanks to reading/hearing about that Facebook thing) I'm aware that there are a host of settings for feeds, following, news and whatever, I also have absolutely no desire to spend any time farting about with settings so that I can filter stuff in or out. I know some friends of mine have had phases of heavy Facebook use, followed by much reduced interaction with the site or by binning their users entirely.

I've been around on the various incarnations of OTF for a decade or more, I read a lot of threads and contribute to a few. There was a period of a year or so when I barely visited, but I am here most days and the makeup of the board has changed a bit, I'd agree with that. Can't say that the presence or otherwise of specific posters/journalists has had a positive or negative influence on my presence, to be honest. Thread Vietnam does seem to occur far less frequently than it used to, and re-reading the Clissold Park thread had me laughing out loud at points the other day. What hasn't changed is that I can choose what I reveal about myself and click on links to read articles without anyone else necessarily being aware that I have read them, and without feeling the urge to share a like or whatever. And I have had the pleasure of meeting a couple of people from OTF, which is something I don't think I'd be comfortable doing with acquaintances from other boards. Sometimes I link to Flickr photos of places I've been but there are very few pictures of me or my family online. Am also not on Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat. But when did I last write a letter? God knows. Send postcards, send a lot of emails, but couldn't say when I last sat down to pen a letter. Probably to my Nan, and she died a few years back...

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
        I have to write all the birthday/Christmas/Easter/whatever cards for most of my immediate family. They're a little paranoid about the legibility of addresses and postcodes and apparently my handwriting is easy for the Royal Mail to read.
        If you have a printer, set up a spreadsheet with all the names and addresses and rhythm mail merge them onto labels.
        There no way in the world I'm going to handwrite the 100 or so addresses as well as the insides.

Comment

Same.
          It's a perfectly natural development to have varying levels of contact with people over the course of time.
          Not many of us want to admit this, it seems. Including me. Though I'm getting there.

There are people that I haven't seen in many years, including some OTFers, that I really want to stay in touch with and feel like we have a lot to talk about, whereas there are people that I used to spend a lot of time with in younger years that I don't have much to talk about with these days. Most of my friends have kids, including some who are going to college, so our lives and the way our brains work are just very different. It's often hard to bridge that gap, especially since many of them assume that I need to be more like them.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
            If you have a printer, set up a spreadsheet with all the names and addresses and rhythm mail merge them onto labels.
            There no way in the world I'm going to handwrite the 100 or so addresses as well as the insides.
            My printer costs more to refill than I paid for the actual printer. I can't be arsed.

Comment

Working...
            X