OTF a football board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTF a football board?

Just now, the top 20 posts on the "What's new" tab had everything from Trump to Doctor Who via song titles ... but not a mention of that round thing people kick into nets. With this thread I guess it'll be 21!

Except that this thread does mention it

Comment

Maybe we're bored of football. It's the most over hyped sport on the planet and what can we say that's not already been said. (Probably by Ray Winstone's disembodied head.)

Comment

Geoffrey's disappearance from the board radically impacted my football posting, since I mainly use this board to talk about football games I can't talk about with my mates (ie not Arsenal/Premier League) and I can't really carry the load on Dutch football. Geoffrey's writeups were good enough to be in the Guardian.

Comment

Big Threads Killed OneTouchFootball

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Maybe we're bored of football. It's the most over hyped sport on the planet and what can we say that's not already been said. (Probably by Ray Winstone's disembodied head.)
            I think this is part of it. But while we're peering into our navels, I think that how I enjoy the game, in the FC scorched world of post-Pious fan-owned sanctimony, doesn't translate well to being shared online. I'm less arsed about the football than I am just going to the game with my mates. There are regularly players in the England squad I've never heard of. Players in the opponent's team I don't know, and I'm left thoroughly cold by all the attempts to woo fans who don't go to the games. I'll whinge at length about Mourinho and how Bielsa is a better option to replace him than Pochettino, but I'll be fucked if I'm putting you lot through it as well. But Fantasy football, tactics, transfer gossip, and all the ubiquitous irrelevancies that seem to fascinate people on social media is fucking rubbish.

I wonder how much effect Twitter has had? If I get a sudden thought about football I'll throw it up there in 280 characters rather than expanding on it on here and creating a discussion. Because I'm lazy and live in a culture of immediacy.

Comment

There is a football section. You can always go to that to get your fix. There are also sections for music, world matters, myriad other sports and film/tv. I enjoy them all. It ain't broke. Don't try to fix it.

Anyway I'm a Notts County fan. What do I know about football?

Comment

Hasn't it always been the case that football attracted fewer posts than World? Go all the way back to 2003 and I'm not sure it would be that different.

OTOH the major tournaments still get massive post counts. I think we prefer those to regular season chat.

Comment

This isn't a bash at Football - of which, it's fairly well known - I'm not really a fan. But...how long can you talk about any sport?

I mean, I like baseball, but I'm tapped after about three minutes of baseball chat. After that, it's just bullshit and conjecture.

At least with World, you can put some thought into a new idea and test your own (and others') thinking.

Comment

You don't understand football culture . . .

At the time of the transfer to this version of the board, the number of posts in each of the principal fora was as follows:

World 459,958
                    Football 339,213
                    Music 160,847
                    Sport 43,957
                    Books 14,473

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      This isn't a bash at Football - of which, it's fairly well known - I'm not really a fan. But...how long can you talk about any sport?
                      As long as there are games being played - and bungs being taken - then pretty much for always.

Comment

Football doesn't matter and EIM and RC have nailed it.

World is important, far more interesting and varied.

For me anyway.

Comment

Yet somehow we've managed to discuss something that doesn't matter for the best part of two decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            As long as there are games being played - and bungs being taken - then pretty much for always.
                            Yeah, sorry. I meant 'at one time'. I mean, you blather over last night's game for a few minutes and then you move along. It's not like you can tease out new ideas around why so and so scored / let in a goal / pulled whatsisname with five minutes left to play, etc. It sort of runs its course rather quickly. Again, not specific to football. Last night's hockey game doesn't have much more chatter in it, either.

Comment

No, that's where the discussion reduces itself down to the level of pub talk - but, given that I've been trying to cut down on the old libations for a while, it continues to prove itself useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                Yet somehow we've managed to discuss something that doesn't matter for the best part of two decades.
                                Crazy isn't?

Comment

Yup. But that's what we sign up for.

I quite often wish I didn't care. (The number of hours I could free up, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    I always explain the non-football chat on here (and other previous fora) as exactly that - you cannot talk about football 24 hours a day seven days a week but the internet is open all that time so, given the options of other discussions that clever boards offer, other threads are bound to flourish. Especially as football attracts the sort of dweebish personality that will also be obsessed by other sports, music, film, TV etc.

Hold on, WOM, how exactly did you end up here?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                      Hold on, WOM, how exactly did you end up here?
                                      Took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Hugh Fatbastard sent me a link to some squabble that was taking place around early 2005. No idea what it was about. I registered, waded-in, and was flamed out of existence. This was back when we used to beat the snot out of new people. Uh, and then I just hung around for 13 years.

Comment

I preferred the early stuff.

Comment

Everyone did. I don't know how that works.

Comment

I must have spent 7 years at least as a lurking wallflower before I got the gumption to sign up. SR was still posting when I started my lurk fer chrissakes.

Comment

And yeah, them were the days.

Comment

No such thing as a wrong turn if you're leaving Albuquerque. (Sorry Cal. Couldn't resist it.)

What happened to SR? Lot of names I remember that I don't see anymore.

Comment

Such is Man United's sheer mundanity these times, even Brexit is a welcome diversion.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X