No announcement yet.

Tech help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your speaker is Bluetooth that could be the source of the lag, FF.

Buy a new TV TonTon. The economy needs the extra help right now.

Comment

hobbes - I'm using an optical cable.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
        I'll give all these a try Let you know. Have to try and remember my old log in details...
        Did you ever manage to retrieve your missing files?

Comment

I wired the TV, it didn't make any difference sadly.

Comment

I'd buy a new TV, I want one, obvs. But who knows what the next few months has in store for any or all of us?

I can cast to the telly from my phone, and all is fine, I don't know why that didn't occur to me before.

Comment

Are those Chromecast things worth buying? How good is the experience / connectivity and all that?

Comment

I dunno. I don't really know what they all are. Fire Stick. Chromecast. Apple TV.

Comment

Chromecast is great - about £30 (other options available), plug into a free USB port on your TV, and you can cast streaming services from your phone or tablet to your TV - just press the "cast" button and you're away. Highly recommended IMO.

Comment

Lovely. Thank you. We're in line for a an Amazon Prime binge, but it's not 'enabled' on our devices, so we'll apparently need to broadcast from a laptop.

Comment

I can do that without a thing in my TV USB port though. Does it not do a bit more than that?

Comment

No clue. It's entirely possible that I'm less tech savvy than you. I don't see how, but I'm at least willing to entertain the notion.

Comment

Cheeky fucker.

Comment

stick and cinemahd is all you need. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              We're in line for a an Amazon Prime binge, but it's not 'enabled' on our devices, so we'll apparently need to broadcast from a laptop.
                              You mean you have the app but it won't let you? Or the devices aren't capable of running an app? As far as I know Amazon doesn't have any device limit (at least for non-concurrent streams). You just open the app and sign in.

Comment

Sorry, by devices I meant our TV and BlueRay player, which is normally how we Netflix and that. We don't seem to be able to add new apps. Or, I'm not sure how to add apps to them. Or something. As I say...

Comment

An Amazon Firestick works for us. Very occasional momentary sound buffering on the netflix app, and no Now TV (ie Sky) still, but everything else we want, and we find it easy to use and reliable despite having a pretty rubbish rural broadband signal here.

Comment

Sorry, by devices I meant our TV and BlueRay player, which is normally how we Netflix and that. We don't seem to be able to add new apps. Or, I'm not sure how to add apps to them. Or something. As I say...
                                    What models?

If they're not capable of adding new apps, then just get a cheap stick, the Amazon one or a Chromecast or a Roku.

Comment

Yeah. That's what we did. Hulu, then Prime (and soon Netflix will) stopped supporting their apps on our 5 year old TV because Panasonic pulled out of the US TV market. So I spent $50 or so on a Roku in the second HDMI port and we're golden again.

Comment

I've just had a swanky new phone delivered. Unfortunately my usual trick of taking it down to the pub and asking one of the barmaids to make it work is not currently an option. How does my new phone know it's me, and therefore let me take calls, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          Are those Chromecast things worth buying? How good is the experience / connectivity and all that?
                                          They're very good. I have two Chromecasts and three Chromecast Audios (annoyingly discontinued).

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                            I've just had a swanky new phone delivered. Unfortunately my usual trick of taking it down to the pub and asking one of the barmaids to make it work is not currently an option. How does my new phone know it's me, and therefore let me take calls, etc?
                                            Put the SIM card in? And sign in with your Google/Apple account if you have one.

Comment

My sim is apparently "not provisioned". Which, according to the dictionary, means it is "not supplied with food and drink, especially for a long journey". I've taken the sim out, and put it back in, and turned the phone off, and on again. I've done all I can, frankly.

Comment

My turn to ask a question (even though I suspect I know the answer); I use two monitors at work and I'd like to do so at home (where we just have the one monitor currently). Our desktop only has one HDMI output, however, so the question is can I use an HDMI splitter / doubler to drive two monitors (as an extended desktop) and if so, can anyone recommend a suitable one?

TIA.

Comment

If you have a Laptop with a USB3 socket you could use that for one monitor. You'd need a USB3 to hdmi which are about a tenner. You'd best check the laptop specs though.
                                                  The other option is an HDMI monitor splitter which are between £20 a £60.
                                                  Or you could try to find a docking station to get rid of having to keep plugging in and unplugging

Comment

Cheers, hobbes .

Comment

Working...
                                                    X