Tech help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech help.

I have an Acer Chromebook. Last night it froze and I had to restart it. New password, the lot. Came to use it this morning and all my files and docs are gone. Can't find them. Tried to get help from Google of Acer but got no sense. Got an email saying I have a new machine. It's not new. Had it nearly a year. Can the combined intellects of OTF show me a way I can get them back?

Would really appreciate any help.

Aren't these Chromebooks supposed to back up to some kind of cloud?

If you go to the Google Drive website and log in, do you see your stuff there?

Comment

Tried it. No luck.

Comment

New password, the lot
        I've not used a Chromebook, but this seems relevant. Don't see why you'd need a new password, even with some kind of catastrophic failure. Are you sure it's not seeing you as a new user, which would explain the lack of files? What happens if you log in with your old details, or skip password setup?

Comment

I know next to nothing about PCs...or whatever the fuck platform Chromebook is. But I had this same thing happen with my MacBook Air at home. You could either log in as Administrator or on a 'clone' setup as Guest. I think Administrator had a login and Guest just started up, or something. Anyway, when we did a system update, the Administrator 'side' of the computer stayed put while the Guest side got wiped clean. You can guess where Mrs WOM had all her school stuff saved....

Comment

As far as I know, the whole thing with the Chromebooks is that they are constantly linked to the internet and are always backing stuff up. As suggested, maybe they've made you a new account when the thing reset, and all your stuff is in an old account somewhere?

Comment

Are Chromebooks all netbooks? (I'm not challenging you...I honestly don't know.)

Comment

What's a netbook?

AP is correct that one of the primary selling points of Chromebooks (i.e., laptops that run Chrome OS rather than Windows or IoS) is that they are supposed to back up to the cloud. Though I have never had one, the suggestions relating to admin/guest distinctions and accessing one's Google account strike me as promising.

Comment

Chrome books basically connect you to the cloud and don't store anything on the actual hardware, as I understand it. If you had created a new account, then there will be nothing in it. The old account should still be there, under the old account name and password.

Go to https://www.google.com/drive/, click on the blue button and log in using the old details and see if anything is there.

If you've already done this, ignore me, but it isn't clear if you have.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    What's a netbook?
                    They don't actually do anything unless you're online. All their functions are web or cloud based. They're 'hollow' machines, but cheap.

Comment

Chromebooks are heavily, but not completely, dependent on internet access and the cloud.

A limited number of applications can be run while off-line.

Comment

I'll give all these a try Let you know. Have to try and remember my old log in details...

Comment

I would see if this offers anything that might help:

https://support.google.com/chromeboo.../1080595?hl=en

Comment

Hello! My question is not about chromebooks, but I hope you don't mind my adding it here.

Comment

I have had questions about chromebooks before, but I didn't ask them here, I don't think.

Comment

Anyway my question is about my TV and its smart apps, specifically Amazon Prime Video or however they brand it these days.

There's an audio sync problem which means Prime stuff is never quite right. I can fiddle with the TV settings and audio delay and it can get a bit better, but there's no single setting that makes everything ok.

Having looked around the internet, it seems this might well be a known issue and one that isn't getting fixed.

Much as I love the idea of replacing this really old TV I have, I wonder if that;'s the best use of cash right now.

So, first up, does anyone have any magic? And if not, I'm right in assuming a Fire Stick or whatever will not have the same problem on the same telly, right?

Comment

DCI Harry Batt Sure - cut to the chase. Everyone wants a distraction right now.

Comment

I mean obvs I can buy a new telly, and I'd love that, but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do right now.

Comment

I'm betting on Femme Folle on this one. I have no idea (and no idea why I think she will have an answer, I just do). I haven't had a problem with Prime but every so often have on my TV app (AT&T TV)

Comment

I started noticing a lag in the audio after I hooked up an external speaker. If you can connect your TV with a physical cable instead of via Wi-Fi (I'm assuming here), you might be able to eliminate some of it, but I still see it every once in a while. I think I've just adjusted my eyes/ears to ignore it when it's not too bad.

Comment

I am highly attuned to audio sync issues, probably because my hearing is rotten and so I watch people's mouths. I can try running a wire to see, yeah. Though why would it only ever be a problem on Prime, and always a problem on Prime?

Comment

I'm not sure that it is. I sometimes see it on NetFlix too. But I don't think buffering helps the situation, so that's why I would try running the wire. Good luck.

Comment

It is for me - all my TV comes from the wifi, but Prime is the only place I have a problem, and I always have the problem. I'm looking out a wire now though.

Comment

My NetFlix lag could be more to do with my external speaker than the TV, tbh.

Comment

Our Netflix lag is never to do with audio, but almost always to do with subtitles on things like Narcos. Are subtitles not broadcast as part of the same signal as the picture they support?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X