No announcement yet.

Making the most of Cuba - or write Signora Rogin's Xmas list for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother and I stayed in the Sevilla for the last three nights of our trip, Rogin. Al Capone did, too, although not at the same time as us. Have fun!

Comment

Yeah, true, I went to see a game in Havana which, as most baseball does, went on for ages so I left early but with it being the inevitable $10, it didn't really matter.

Indeed, Rogin has probably flown now but the rule of thumb I found was that $10 pretty much opens every door in Havana.

The other one was, whenever you see a hotel, get the lift to the top floor. You are rewarded with, at least, great views of Havana but can also accompany rooms that look like secret Russian spying platforms or fashion shows.

Comment

I went to an Industriales home match at the fairly large but unspectacular baseball stadium in Havana. Seemed a decent standard from my limited knowledge, but not a massive crowd – seven or eight thousand on a midweek night.

Comment

Though the sport remains extremely popular, the quality of the local league has understandably declined as more and more players leave the country in search of the Yanqui (or Nihon) Dollar.

Comment

We went to an evening baseball game in Havana way back in 1991 (I think, in any event it was the year Freddy Mercury died). Electricity was strictly rationed and the floodlights did not go on until five minutes before the game and went out immediately the last pitch had been fielded. Can't remember who won, or even who played, but making our way out of an unfamiliar stadium in the pitch black was a bit hairy.

Comment

Oh, shit, I forgot to say to Rogin to have a walk around the Havana necropolis if he gets the chance.

Comment

Working...
              X