Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time and Death

I know we've done this before, but I just had this thought that spooked me:

In early February 2021 John Lennon will reach the point of being dead longer than he was alive.

I realised yesterday that in 7 years time I'll be older than the amount of time that passed between the end of WW1 and my birth, if that makes sense.

Comment

We have done it before, but hey. My birth year was the mid point between 1910 and today.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
        Also, as a music teacher I have to get my head around people like Britney Spears or the Spice Girls being more distant for my students than disco or Zeppelin were for me at their age.
        My 7yo gently 'discovered' 90s house recently on the radio and added Robert Miles' Children to his lengthy pop-tastic Spotify playlist. I was smiling at his assimilation of what I considered to be modern dance music when I realised the equivalent would be 7yo me 'discovering' Elvis in 1983.

Comment

Obviously there are hundreds of these.

More time has now elapsed since The Jam were at number one with A Town Called Malice (February 1982) than had between that and the end of World War II (September 1945).

Comment

More time has passed since the last time we did this than between the last time we did this and the time before that.

Comment

More time has passed since that observation was made and the previous occasion...etc.

Happy?

Comment

I think it has become relevant again because, among other things:

1) 1982 was a key transformative year in many of our lives (Falklands, World Cup, 'Shipbuilding', launch of Channel 4, breakup of The Jam, all happening when I was 15-16) so when that whole year becomes further back from now than it was from 1945, that's a big deal personally.

2) Some of us teach kids (or even have our own offspring) for whom, as noted above, the early 90s are farther way than the late 50s were for us. Thatcher resignation, First Gulf War and 1992 elections (Major, Clinton) will soon all be farther back from now than Suez and "Look Back In Anger" were in 1982 (assuming that 1956 was the key year of the 50s, which in many ways it was, even though it can sometimes be artificially isolated from the rest of the decade).
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-11-2018, 13:23.

Comment

I was at a school Halloween disco the other day, and them playing Michael Jackson's "Thriller" there is the same in terms of time gap as playing "Here In My Heart" by Al Martino in the early 1980s, when I would have been going to those things at school.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    1982 was a key transformative year in many of our lives (Falklands, World Cup, 'Shipbuilding', launch of Channel 4, breakup of The Jam,...) so when that whole year becomes further back from now than it was from 1945, that's a big deal personally.
                    The year that I moved to London...

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                      I was at a school Halloween disco the other day, and them playing Michael Jackson's "Thriller" there is the same in terms of time gap as playing "Here In My Heart" by Al Martino in the early 1980s, when I would have been going to those things at school.
                      I spent the first 16 years of my life listening to Al Martino's "Here In My Heart". Every Sunday morning, all morning, I listened to Al Martino. I seriously think my father is the most obsessive Al Martino fan that's ever lived. He owns everything that Al Martino ever made. He's got more Al Martino records than Al Martino ever had. And the only other record he's ever bought is "Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?"

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        I think it has become relevant again because, among other things:

1) 1982 was a key transformative year in many of our lives (Falklands, World Cup, 'Shipbuilding', launch of Channel 4, breakup of The Jam, all happening when I was 15-16) so when that whole year becomes further back from now than it was from 1945, that's a big deal personally.
                        This, exactly. (Except that I was a couple of years older.)

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                          I spent the first 16 years of my life listening to Al Martino's "Here In My Heart". Every Sunday morning, all morning, I listened to Al Martino. I seriously think my father is the most obsessive Al Martino fan that's ever lived. He owns everything that Al Martino ever made. He's got more Al Martino records than Al Martino ever had. And the only other record he's ever bought is "Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?"
                          I've never heard of Al Martino.

Comment

First ever official UK Hit Parade #1.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                              Internationally, he's probably more famous as Johnny Fontane in The Godfather than as a singer.

Comment

I know Here in My Heart, obviously, but my first recollection of Al Martino was probably Spanish Eyes (1973), which seemed to spend around two years on the charts when records didn't really do that.

Comment

He is to the UK as David Hasselhoff is to Germany or Cheap Trick to Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    He is to the UK as David Hasselhoff is to Germany or Cheap Trick to Japan.
                                    I may be the first person on this board to say this, but: Fuck off, ursus arctos. Al Martino could sing, man. He never sang anything I wanted to hear, I'll give you that, but he had a voice on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                      If asked to guess, I'd have said that he ran the restaurant in Happy Days. Apologies to Al Molinaro (after checking).

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                        If asked to guess, I'd have said that he ran the restaurant in Happy Days. Apologies to Al Molinaro (after checking).
                                        Martin Lee was named after Al Martino. Fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                          As an Honest Trailer points out, we're further from the movie Back to the Future than it was from 1955.
                                          That doesn't feel so off. After all, BTTF is as much about how things don't change - his principal was always there and always bald, Biff was always an asshole, etc - than about what has changed.

But BTTFII missed a lot in it's predicitions for 2015. Perhaps they should have waited until actual 2015 to make the sequel, but then MJF and Christopher Lloyd may not have been up for it.

Comment

I started school in 1972. The end of World War II was at that time as far back as 1991 is to us now.

Comment

This year it happens that I have been living in the US for longer than I spent growing up in Nottingham.

Comment

I got an awful sense of this when we flicked through the channels and found ourselves watching a "Best of the 90s No 2s" (quiet at the back) and I found myself reflecting that for many of the tunes, they were released more than half my life ago.

Comment

I’ve been to Nottingham. In 1984.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X