Cheering news from the Tax Tribunal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheering news from the Tax Tribunal

Small comfort but comfort nonetheless: the indescribably loathsome Arron Banks has lost an appeal to the First Tier Tribunal against an assessment to inheritance tax of just over 160k pounds (bloody software doesn't write a pound sign where there's one on my keyboard) on his gifts to UKIP.

It's cheering and amusing for a number of reasons:

- good that an extra 160k is going to the public coffers
    - even better that the evil scumbag has 160k less to spend on other loathsome manipulations
    - amusing that his claim to relief failed because UKIP had no MPs at the relevant time, namely immediately after the previous general election (winning at least one seat at the most recent General Election being one of the conditions for gifts to political parties not being caught by IHT); and
    - even more amusing that the hypocritical scumbag tried, unsuccessfully, to win his case on the basis of an argument that the relevant UK tax legislation was in breach of EU law.

Link here, if it works:

http://financeandtax.decisions.tribu...30/TC06768.pdf

Pleased to say that the tax tribunal judge who kicked his appeal out, Ashley Greenbank, is an ex-colleague of mine from a long time ago, not that we were ever pals - he was a few years senior to me and left the law firm we both worked at when I was only a year or two qualified.
    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 11-11-2018, 00:07.

- even more amusing that the hypocritical scumbag tried, unsuccessfully, to win his case on the basis of an argument that the relevant UK tax legislation was in breach of EU law.

Just thought that needed posting again. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
    X