So, Edinburgh then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seand View Post
    2km? That's, what, 15 minutes walk, 20 minutes leisurely stroll or 2 minutes in a taxi. Sounds pretty central to me, in the circumstances!
    Bear in mind that a 2km walk could involve a lot of ups and downs in Edinburgh.

Comment

The hills are great. I always feel way fitter after a few days in Edinburgh.

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
      Sorry, Janik, I've really tried, but I just can't get my head round this sentence..........
      Seconded. But if you are planning on the Festival, I'd get to booking sooner rather than later. #fivehundredpercentmarkup

Comment

It's not just the hills; a lot of the venues are up or down loads of stairs. I'm pretty sure that when I saw tracteurgarçon the other year it wasn't exactly at ground level...

Comment

The venue map might be useful too: https://tickets.edfringe.com/venues/map

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            It's not just the hills; a lot of the venues are up or down loads of stairs. I'm pretty sure that when I saw tracteurgarçon the other year it wasn't exactly at ground level...
            A few of the venues leverage the unique architecture of the Old Town, which is characterized by an entrance and then about five floors of "basement" that then exit out into the lower level of the City. Edinburgh - a little like Chicago - was designed years ago with an advance sense of what would completely screw up Uber pickups.

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. Even if they don't agree with my assessment of what might be appreciated by the recipient...

Comment

Maybe a little more practical, but try looking around Mayfield. Edinburgh has an, erm, charming habit of street names changing as you wander down them - but as South Clerk Street changes to Craigmillar Park there are a load of nice B&Bs, I can’t recommend any in particular so you might need TripAdvisor. They’re all within an easy walk from the centre and there’s dozens of buses running that way anyway. Looking at google maps just now, if you search for Mentone Gardens and zoom in a bit then dozens get flagged.

I don’t think you can book too early.

Fringe shows at least start emerging in the New Year, keep an eye on the website and those of the venues. The full programme comes out around April/May. Depending on when you come you’ll likely catch the start of the football season and so whilst I get the idea that’s not on your list of priorities give me a shout if you’d like a trip to a disappointing game

Comment

Not practical advice at all but up near the statue of greyfriars bobby (you will go and get a photo of greyfriars bobby) is a cellar bar and restaurant called Frankenstein's with a classic 1950s horror film theme. Statues of your monster himself and Dracula etc. Very quirky place for lunch at the end of a morning walking around the castle and along the royal mile, and a little off that track (which I imagine is RAMMED during the festival).

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    If it was 2016 or 2017 that would've been the Mash House, where I was performing in "The Bottle Room" which was on the top floor above the room called "The Attic" (obviously).

One of my favourite things about Edinburgh is, as Caja says, the fact that you can enter a venue at street level, go up four sets of stairs and exit the venue at street level...

Comment

It was 2016.

Comment

It is a little known fact that most of the buildings in Edinburgh were actually designed by one of M.C. Escher's ancestors.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                          Depending on when you come you’ll likely catch the start of the football season and so whilst I get the idea that’s not on your list of priorities give me a shout if you’d like a trip to a disappointing game
                          Thanks for the offer, but Football will definitely be off the itinerary.

Comment

Working...
                          X