Beard or Moustache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beard or Moustache

I have neither but a lady I know said that I would suit a beard. What's your preference?

Beard: dark or grey, fine. Mine was/is salt, pepper and ketchup. Doesn't work at all.

A moustache is not on the table.

Comment

Blond moustaches alone really don't cut it, cf Martin Mull or Viv Stanshall. They look kind of indecisive. So I've a beard too. A French Fork, mostly blondish-white with a ginger bit between the prongs (the centre of my chin.) Most people think I look a bit of a dork, but I could care less. If you're going to do a beard it's got to be one you want, not something that might impress others.

Comment

Beard out of laziness as opposed to a lifestyle choice. It's black with grey coming in. I like it. More importantly so does our lass.

Comment

Clearly inspired by the magnificence on display during the World Series

Comment

This is very hurtful. It grows on my chin, not just my neck.

Comment

I tried it a few times. But it doesn't work for me. Nice when its short but as soon as it gets to about 1cm long it turns a brilliant red, red not ginger, and very very curly. I look like sodding Kabouter Plop.

Wierd, because although my hair is a dark, gingery brown, with even a bit of grey on the sides, this colour is totally different.

Comment

I tried growing a beard once, just to see how it would look. I didn't like it at all. Then I shaved it off slowly, to see how I'd look with a goatee. It looked creepy (as goatees often do). Then various shapes of moustaches, culminating in a Hitler 'tache. That was so awful, I couldn't even take selfies of that business.

These days I shave at most twice a week (or when necessary due to meetings). By day 4 there is good coverage. My wife always reprimands me for looking older than I am when my face is covered with overlong stubble. She is not wrong.

Comment

I've had a 'tache since I was 15.

I tried a beard, and it was ok, if slightly ginge. The only no-no for me is a beard without a 'tache. That is just wrong.

Comment

Full beard:

1 - As others have already stated, laziness.
                    2 - I grew it at a time when I needed to look older. Even now with the grey hair, eyebags and furrowed brow, people tend to peg me about five years younger than I am.
                    3 - Shaving exacerbates my eczema.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                      What's your preference?
                      When people with facial hair turn up at the hut, I take a step backwards, make a sweeping movement with my arm in the direction of the fridges and say, "Here. Take a cold drink of your choice on the house, go and sit at the reading table and think long and hard about why you've yet to shave off your beard/moustache."

(I don't, of course, but I'd ruddy well like to.)

Comment

The [female] consensus is that stubble suits me, whereas a beard makes me look like I spend my evenings drinking strong cider in a bus shelter.

A moustache makes me look like the bastard offspring of Joseph Stalin and Freddie Mercury.

Comment

I 'did' Movember in when I was working in a soul-destroying wacky bantz office in 2012. During the month I went to Raith versus Dunfermline; it was quite the experience walking into a pub near Starks Park looking like that.

When I shaved it off at 7am on 1 December, I naturally tried the Hitler look and took a photo uploaded to social media with the caption 'I wouldn't trust anyone who, when shaving off a moustache, wouldn't do this'. My girlfriend now is a Labour councillor and was very keen that I remove the picture.

Last year I finally persisted with a beard for winter. My girlfriend loved it but I look back at pictures now and I'm not so sure about it. I think it makes me look fat.

Comment

Three days stubble max, then it all comes off. By day three the stubble makes me look more like a short life expectancy bit player in a Sergio Leone film than it does Don Johnson busting crime in the Keys.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                              ...go and sit at the reading table...
                              So, no windmills or dinosaurs but you've got a reading table. Who designed your course? Bamber bloody Gascoigne?

Comment

I haven't shaved in over thirty-five years. What's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                  I've had a 'tache since I was 15.

I tried a beard, and it was ok, if slightly ginge. The only no-no for me is a beard without a 'tache. That is just wrong.
                                  A story involving Ray but he rarely visits 'World' so I will tell it. He, I and our respective partners were living in the same house for six months and his future in-laws were visiting for the first time. Ray asked for help to, oddly, put a wardrobe door back on before they come. I said some quip about barn building and them being Amish (which makes no sense at all now so there may have been conversation in between) and Ray turned around and said, "Oh no, I haven't told you, have I? I must warn you, Miss Future-De-Galles' father has a dutch beard". I asked what the bloody hell that was and he explained it was effectively a chinstrap with no moustache. Thankfully, he told me as, as it was, I spent the whole visit wondering why you make the decision to shave your top lip and not the chin and still do whenever I see him.

Anyway, for the first time in years, I am doing Movember as a friend who had cancer asked me to join him so I shall be first shaving off my beard - a revolutionary one that I have worn fairly constantly since I went to Cuba for the first time in 1999 - and then growing back a moustache. I think that I fairly suit a 'tache as I already have a beard but it is only a goatee (I can't really grow hair enough on the cheeks) and it isn't too dark. The only issue is that my chin, when unshaven, is fairly prominent so it is always a shock to see it initially and, depending on my weight, it is not on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    So, no windmills or dinosaurs but you've got a reading table. Who designed your course? Bamber bloody Gascoigne?
                                    Two daily newspapers, Spiegel, Sport BILD, Bridge (donated by a regular; a monthly devoted to bridge in Germany; hilarious) and a book about gravestones.

Comment

Had a tache in the 80s but ditched it around 1988, actually I haven't shaved since Saturday so I can see what I'd look like with a beard,no pleasant, I'll be shaved before the day is over

Comment

The other great bonus of my beard is that it covers my emerging double-chin.

Comment

Had big long sideburns for the best part of twenty years with the aim of making my big fat head look a bit narrower (and because I can't grow a proper beard). For similar reasons I had a big quiff for time. Fucked off both after I got sick of people thinking I'm a fucking rockabilly.

Comment

As my hair started thinning at the crown when I got to about 50 (but still not enough to buzzcut the lot) I decided to overcompensate with some facial hair instead. I keep it to a goatee trimmed neatly down to stubble level, as growth is too patchy at the sides for a full beard. It’s mainly salt coloured, but irritatingly a line of black hairs extend 1cm either side of my lips, which can make it look like have have an elongated downturned mouth at times. As long as I keep it trimmed neatly and shave the neck and sides every few days it gets a thumbs up from the missus.

Comment

I have run with a beard on and off for the past year or so. I shaved it off for the summer and everyone said I looked a lot younger. Given I am in a leadership position I grew it back - folk need to think I am old and wise.

That and shaving every day early gets real old fast.

Comment

Thinking about the opening post, and to allow the females of this parish to join in, I prefer whatever the other person is comfortable in.

Anyone who ever asked me to shave my 'tache, and one person did, was binned with extraordinary speed.

Comment

Working...
                                                X