Writing a book.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
    Still lot of work to do before I can think of presenting it to anyone. Microphone voice OK. I guess.
    You're already presenting it to people.

Comment

Yes Nef but in brief form to allow for time and and forum space restraints. They will need expanding.

Comment

I think the briefness is part of what makes them so good.

Comment

Get your idea into a presentable, cohesive form - detailed breakdown of how it will work with some sample chapters (or however you plan to structure it) - prepare to pitch it and then put it in front of an (appropriate) agent. That's how I got started, anyway.

Comment

Listen to him- he knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              Get your idea into a presentable, cohesive form - detailed breakdown of how it will work with some sample chapters (or however you plan to structure it) - prepare to pitch it and then put it in front of an (appropriate) agent. That's how I got started, anyway.
              I'm glad I didn't have to do that. I had a friend with the financial clout who was able to back a very well put-together self-publishing package. It was a risk ordering 1,000 copies of a book no-one really knew they wanted about a Bury team from the past, but we broke even within a year. We've now sold 950 copies and my next, with the same backer, will be out in the next few weeks. We've ordered 1,500 of this but it's about a much-better remembered squad and the reputation of the first will help it sell. Unfortunately, there's also the news about Lenny Johnrose and Andy Woodward which have piqued interest in Bury from that period.

Comment

You're 'glad' that you didn't try to find somebody who could find you a top publisher, cut you the best deal and suggest (from a position of experience) improvements to your work? I mean, I respect your achievement - which is impressive obviously - but any reputable help one can get within the industry should be embraced, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  You're 'glad' that you didn't try to find somebody who could find you a top publisher, cut you the best deal and suggest (from a position of experience) improvements to your work? I mean, I respect your achievement - which is impressive obviously - but any reputable help one can get within the industry should be embraced, IMO.
                  Yes, I'm glad I didn't have to pitch the idea to a publishing professional - because if I did, I'm not certain the project would ever have been fulfilled.

Comment

Or it might have. But in your hypothesis you'd likely have pursued it yourself anyway. (Nothing ventured, etc.)

Self-publishing is great, don't get me wrong - and much easier these days than it used to be. All I can say from personal experience, however, is that using certain industry professionals opened up a lot of doors for the project that I'd not even have considered, let alone succeeded in breaching. (And made me a lot more money than I'd have made otherwise. 'Not that it's all about the money', etc, etc.)

Comment

It's worth noting that The Secret Barrister's book (The Law and How It's Broken: Stories of Crime and Punishment) is a Sunday Times bestseller published this year. I think in this particular case it's well worth getting a professional involved as we're not looking at a niche interest here.

Comment

I have to admit that I am posting these to guage response. Any comment on any of them is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                        X