South Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Yorkshire

So, I'm going to be in Doncaster for a couple of days in November. Is there anything in Doncaster or the surrounding area that's worth taking a look at? My plan at the moment is just to have a big wonder around.

I haven’t been to Doncaster proper in 20 years but I know the immediate area to the south west of Doncaster a little (Sprotbrough & Conisbrough), I used to work 12 miles away towards the Rotherham area and I still occasionally visit a former colleague in Sprotbrough, last time I was there was about 6 yrs ago.

Sprotbrough is nice for walks along the River Don via the Trans-Pennine Trail, great riverside pub in Sprotbrough (The Boat Inn) with a weir opposite, a few barges too, really a lovely spot, well worth checking out as it’s only a few miles away from Doncaster city centre. There's also the Sprotbrough Flash Nature Reserve, plenty of interesting wildlife.

In fact you can walk from Doncaster to Sprotbrough (and beyond, Conisbrough etc, very interesting 12th century castle there, especially the superbly well-preserved impressive keep with great panoramic views from the top, I used to take pupils there – castle made famous by Walter Scott's Ivanhoe) via the Trans-Pennine Trail (TPT)

The TPT starts in Doncaster just by the train station, on West Street near the Frenchgate shopping centre. I’ve never done that section of the TPT but looking at the TPT map now on their website (https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?...195418717&z=13), I’d say it’s about 3 miles from Doncaster train station to Spotbrough. Bus back to Doncaster option available via the #219a bus (Doncaster-Barnsley, starts from the North Bridge Rd end of the Frenchgate shopping centre), or taxi, probably £10 tops.

From Spotbrough, If you continue the walk on the TPT to Conisbrough along the River Don, there’s a train back to Doncaster, + bus too of course.

Comment

I'll second what PF said - Conisbrough is worth checking out. I am also under obligation to tell you that Doncaster Rovers play at home on the 17th (v Wimbledon) and 27th (v Blackpool).

Comment

Working...
      X