Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's legal Doobie Day in Canada!

Far out...

It's funny though. For most of my adult life this felt like something that was never going to happen — though we all fervently hoped it would — but now it has, it feels kinda meh. It's not remotely accompanied by any sort of "collective change in consciousness, man!" which was the dream once upon a time. The longtime neighbourhood dealers are being put out of business by corporations, in some cases fronted by the same cops who threw them in pokey twenty years back. Shit I don't even smoke the stuff any more, though for twenty-odd years it was a necessary accompaniment to my daily routine. Today is supposed to be a celebration — certainly the MM are treating it that way — but it feels empty to me, and I feel like a huge slab of my time on the planet has been wasted, but not in a good way.

Yeah, there are a lot of people - weed-dealers, growers, smugglers, people who run “Say No To Drugs, Kids!” programs, and the DEA-industrial complex - who benefitted from the way it was.

And something will probably lost in the culture that surrounded pot. But this is more sensible for society in general.

My hope is that there will be a lot more research on it. The Nancy Reagan types have made a lot of claims about it that are certainly not true, but a lot of people in the medicinal marijuana business and many stoners seem to think it cures just about everything even though there’s not much evidence behind many of those claims.

But I’m afraid it will just end up like all those sketchy “supplements” and shit that Gwyneth Paltrow promotes - not necessarily dangerous on its own, but very dangerous if one relies on it for things it can’t possibly do.

And it stinks. And it makes people think they’re more interesting than they really are. I’ve never even tried it. Not really interested.

Comment

This is not going to be a nil thread.

Sorry, bit stoned, so a little slow.

Comment

I'm less interested in 'today' than I am in a year from now when all the 'woohoo' has died down and people just get on with their pot-smoking lives. The media chatter about this has been unbearable. I'm happy it's legal, although I don't do it and can't image that will change. My only concern is for stupid kids who'll think "it's legal, so it must be fine". Which it isn't, but you make your own choices.

Comment

South Park handled it well in one of their early seasons. The message was that it doesn’t make you a criminal, but it might make you ok with being bored and sedentary. That’s ok from time to time - especially for people wound a bit too tight - but too much of that will turn you into a depressed couch potato.

Based on what i’ve heard, I think it would make my anxiety and depression worse. I could be wrong about that, but I don’t want to chance it.

Comment

The Halifax area radio stations were getting quite a few calls this morning from people queuing up at NSLC stores to be among the first to legally purchase weed. Making it legal certainly seems to me to be the sensible decision, even though I'm not planning to buy any myself: haven't touched the stuff for going on 15 years or so, Mrs. VL is not a fan so my occasional consumption just tailed off to nowt. But I somehow see myself making a purchase when some of our friends come and visit next year...

Comment

Yeah, that picture in your link pretty much says it all. You're not getting your casual-toking doctors, lawyers, priest and politicians lining up in front of pot shops. You get dudes named Dave who'll laugh nervously on camera and end all their sentences with 'right?'

The Toronto Star is brutal for covering the whole weed thing, with every story illustrated with a photo of a pimply-faced toker with a scraggy beard and filthy finger nails. I sent them an email about their clear bias, but since nobody works there anymore, nobody responded.

Comment

Working...
              X