tony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    I won't throw stones, then. I read most of Jeffrey Archer's cannon when I was probably 15 to 19.
    We're almost exactly the same age, so I think it's very brave of you to admit that.

Comment

I've never heard anyone pronounce the name without the 'h' being silent, but then again the only Anthonys I've ever known personally were British. I've taught upwards of 2000 students in the US and cannot recall an Anthony or Tony; but I'm in Florida.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-09-2019, 23:53.

Comment

Were you not there for the Casey Anthony nonsense?

Comment

I've always wondered whether the 'US' pronunciation is at all related to how Anfernee 'Penny' Hardaway's parents came up with his name. (I was an Orlando Magic fan back when I watched basketball, as a teenager.)

Comment

I've never read a Stephen King book. I don't know if I've even read any of his short stories. I may be the only white American male in his 40s who hasn't. He seems like a decent guy, but horror doesn't interest me at all. I liked Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption, but not enough to read the books.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Were you not there for the Casey Anthony nonsense?
              I was but still settling in and not really watching the parochial American news at that point.

Comment

And all the better for it no doubt.

In any event, that family pronounces the "h".

So does Scaramucci, who could serve as a D List avatar of Northeast Anthonyism.

Comment

I think the /ænθəni/ pronunciation goes back long before Hardaway. I've always heard USians pronounce it that way

Comment

Oh yes, it goes back at least to the early 20th century.

I took Sam as saying that Penny Hardaway's family were riffing off of the standard US pronunciation, rather than starting a trend.

Comment

Sir Anthony Hopkins pronounces it with the 'h'.

(Or else it would be 'Opkins, obv)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        I've never read a Stephen King book. I don't know if I've even read any of his short stories. I may be the only white American male in his 40s who hasn't. He seems like a decent guy, but horror doesn't interest me at all. I liked Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption, but not enough to read the books.
                        I've read Christine when I was about 15, but don't think I've read any of his novels besides that. And I read Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption as it was only a short story and I wanted to see how it compared to the movie.

Comment

Working...
                        X