• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olives

Black, green, or yuck?

What's your preference?

Kalamata > green > black

Comment

"green" and "black" are both massive categories, no?

I've had fantastic black olives and fantastic green olives. And bad black olives and bad green olives.

Comment

I'm constantly sad that you can't get in the UK the big black olives you find in Italy everywhere. My olive of choice in the UK is Nocellara. Queen olives can do one.

Comment

Comment

(Everyone knew that was coming, right?)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I've had fantastic black olives and fantastic green olives. And bad black olives and bad green olives.
              That's about it.

Comment

Olive oil - good
                Olives - bad

Comment

Actually, I would like them a lot more if they didn't have stones in them. I have a similar sort of things with shellfish which I love, but could really do with some kind of well-paid slave to separate the flesh from the shelly bits for me.

Comment

I'm surprised more people don't die from choking on olive pits. Or perhaps they do and we just don't hear about it.

Either way, olives are marvellous things.

Comment

I was going to start a thread about olive oil, but never got round to it.

Question is, has anyone on the board ever been to an olive grove and tasted 'real' olive oil? My impression is that pretty much all olive oil is adulterated to varying extents.

But to answer the OP, big green ones.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                        Olive oil - good
                        Olives - bad
                        I'm with hobbes on this one.

Comment

Are there any recipes in which, say, sunflower oil is superior to olive oil, or does the former only have an advantage due to its cheaper cost?

Comment

Olives are one of those delicious but surprisingly un 'more-ish' things for me. I always definitely want one, two, three. Four, maybe. Five if the proper starters haven't come. But I couldn't eat two dozen of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                              Are there any recipes in which, say, sunflower oil is superior to olive oil, or does the former only have an advantage due to its cheaper cost?
                              I'd say that there are a number of dishes that you don't want the strong taste of olive oil. I wouldn't make curry with olive oil, for example. (also i think sunflower oil has a higher smoke point so it's better for deep frying and such like)

Comment

Aldi sells a very nice pot of fresh Nocellara ones at a very decent price (part of their "posh" range)

Comment

Aldi does 'posh'?

Comment

"I loves ya, Olives" - Popeye

Who'd have thunk that Olive from On The Buses would be PM in 2018?

Comment

Didn't like olives of any sort for a long time. Now like black ones halved on a pizza and green ones, pre-pitted for my convenience. Would agree on not overdoing it though.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

What ad hoc says is the truth basically but I always think you're more likely to encounter a bad black olive.
                                        Last edited by Disco Child Ballads; 09-10-2018, 10:26.

Comment

Was in Cyprus late last year, and there they do this thing at that time of the year, just around harvest, called chakistes (I think) where they split fresh olives and marinate them for a week. Completely different (and delicious) tasting from any other way I've had olives prepared

Comment

Olive oil straight from the press is fruitier and not as smooth as commercial olive oil, but I’m not sure all commercial olive oils are “adulterated”. They are, however, usually blended. Our local supermarket usually has four or six different types it for tastings with baguette slices. The differences are notable.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              Olive oil straight from the press is fruitier and not as smooth as commercial olive oil, but I’m not sure all commercial olive oils are “adulterated”. They are, however, usually blended. Our local supermarket usually has four or six different types it for tastings with baguette slices. The differences are notable.
                                              It was based on this article (or one very like it).

Comment

Ah, I consider mislabeling and adulteration to be different, and believe the former is much more common

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  I'm surprised more people don't die from choking on olive pits. Or perhaps they do and we just don't hear about it.
                                                  Big Olive keeps a pretty tight lid on anything negative.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X