Fast Food Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Food Shutdown

Workers at McDonalds, Wetherspoons and TGI Fridays start strike action for better pay and conditions today, in both the UK and US. Couriers for Uber, Deliveroo and Just Eat are also taking action. The link contains details of a number of solidarity pickets and events.

Posting this reminds me that I haven't seen E10Rifle around these parts for a bit, hope things are good for him.

Good luck to them, although I won't have to change any plans to avoid breaking the strike.

Am I misremembering in thinking that even a few years ago this type of action would have been seen as a non-starter, that the consensus was that those jobs are just crappy and that's the way it was/is/always will be? If there is a shift going on, long may it continue.

Comment

I thought I remember Wetherspoons being one of the better big companies to work for a few years ago, but that isn't necessarily exclusive with being paid enough. Anyway, good luck to them.

E10 seems to be on Twitter on and off but does indeed seem to be quiet, let's hope we see more of him soon.

Comment

Am I misremembering in thinking that even a few years ago this type of action would have been seen as a non-starter

I'm not sure. It's possible, but then again I think I'm paying more attention than I was a few years ago. On the other hand, people will surely have been encouraged by the UCL cleaners' successful action, and the fast food shutdown was on the front page of the Guardian website for a bit, so you may be right.

In related news, Amazon's publicised $15/hr pay for their workers appears to have been offset by the withdrawal of monthly bonuses, and of course lots of Amazon-related workers aren't technically employees so won't qualify anyway, so they remain cunts.

Comment

I've been a little bit involved here in Brighton supporting the Wetherspoons bunch, am off to the demo at 6.30 this evening.

As per the above, I think it's inconceivable that this would have happened even a few years ago; there's been a politicisation, mainly via social media, and younger people are starting to see how the structure of capitalism works against them. Some of the activists make my heart sing.

Comment

on the front page of the Guardian
            There's another shitty and exploitative employer.

Comment

Absolutely supportive of anyone trying to get a living wage. Bear in mind, though, that workers at McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc. in NC earn more than direct care professionals looking after adults with developmental disabilities.

North Carolina being a so-called right to work state means that these people cannot organize.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                There's another shitty and exploitative employer.
                Wow, OTF has really changed. There was a time when you would have been run off the board for saying such.

Comment

E10 Rifle is alive and well, BTW. I saw him at the Orient v Sutton game last Saturday.

Comment

The Grauniad has also changed, TG

Comment

Not that much; remember when SRhino chained himself to their steps in Farringdon 'cos they weren't paying him?

Comment

I was once told by management in a big pub chain that if pubs followed employment law then the industry would collapse. Absolute horseshit, of course, but there's the attitude workers deal with daily. I'm delighted hospitality workers are organising, and will urge any who work for me to join a union not just for their good, but for mine too. For too long the staff have been seen as disposable, when they aren't, they're absolutely essential.

Comment

Great stuff EIM

It’s so heartening to see a Labour leadership that unequivocally supports workers on strike.

McDonnell in particular has been good.

https://twitter.com/lesleyfinlayson/status/1047848162793324546?s=21

https://twitter.com/peoplesmomentum/status/1047848043339534337?s=21

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X