Time for coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for coats

Please, fashionable people of OTF, help me make a decision.

I have to wear a suit for work. I own a warm enough overcoat for cold days but it is singularly bad when it's wet out.

I can't spend too much but I've been looking at this coat as it's not to warm but is waterproof. It isn't very exciting though is it? I'd go so far as to say it's a bit dull.

Are there any options for good looking raincoats that work with a suit but I could also wear with some degree of confidence at the weekend?

Originally posted by Levin View Post

I have to wear a suit for work.
    Change jobs.

Comment

fashionable people of OTF
      Intrigued to find out who is meant here

Comment

I think this look is due for a comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          I got this, bro...

Comment

I think Craghoppers should look pretty decent over a suit. I think some of them come up quite long, and Cotswold Outdoor should have them in.

https://www.craghoppers.com/men/jack...proof_jackets/

Comment

First down the runway is Toby. Toby wears this dandy red slicker, matching any fall-weight suit and contrasting deck shoes. Conveniently folds into its own pouch for wearing around the waist. Says "I'm on my way...and going nowhere fast."

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                Me.

Tell you what, Lev. I'll do you a quick scan and search and post some later. But my tip is to head to TK Maxx. They've got amazing stuff in at the minute. Norse Projects, Folk, Rains, Barbour...

Uniqlo is sound though. Go with Uniqlo and you won't go far wrong.

Comment

Also Benjm. Benjm is good at fashion.

Comment

The Community Clothing navy raincoat is nice:

https://communityclothing.co.uk/coll...=6978726002742

Comment

Stutterheim do some nice looking rainwear. They are pricier than the Uniqlo but it looks like there are quite a few options in the sale section, called 'Memories' for some reason.

EIM is the OTF coat king but he may not be a steadying influence if you're trying to stick to a budget. (Edit: the boy done got in first and I was entirely misrepresenting him as a profligate End Clothing regular.)
                      Last edited by Benjm; 01-10-2018, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        First down the runway is Toby. Toby wears this dandy red slicker, matching any fall-weight suit and contrasting deck shoes. Conveniently folds into its own pouch for wearing around the waist. Says "I'm on my way...and going nowhere fast."

Toby Gymshorts?

Actually, that might be the bloke in Stumpy's picture.

Comment

The Uuuu range in uniqlo is good. There are a couple of coats you can click through to from your first link

Comment

Can't wait for autumn to kick in fully. Fjallraven had a waxing event at their store yembo. I didn't go because as an outdoorsman I am more than able to wax a coat myself, however it did signal a start to coat season.

It was 6 degrees this morning when I popped up to Piccadilly. I was able to get the chunky Barbour jumper out. Having declared soup season open a few weeks ago with a bowl of French Onion from Soup Kitchen, I'm looking forward to the soup/jumper combo in a few weeks time.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                              Fjallraven had a waxing event at their store yembo.
                              That is ridiculous. Some tasks can be accomplished without the support of a group of like minded peers.

Comment

I have to wear a suit for work. I own a warm enough overcoat for cold days but it is singularly bad when it's wet out.

I can't spend too much but I've been looking at this coat as it's not to warm but is waterproof. It isn't very exciting though is it? I'd go so far as to say it's a bit dull.

Are there any options for good looking raincoats that work with a suit but I could also wear with some degree of confidence at the weekend?
                                My missus is always trying to do this, buying something in an attempt to suit multiple scenarios and consequently ending up not quite hitting any of them. The answer probably depends on what you're going to be doing or wearing at the weekend. If you wear roll neck/polo neck jumpers or shirt and jacket wandering about town, that Uniqlo coat would cover both bases.

Why not go for a non-Grey (not a dandy red) overcoat option or is an umbrella not an option with what you already have?

Comment

It's important we tamers of nature build a sense of rugged community.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    Stutterheim do some nice looking rainwear. They are pricier than the Uniqlo but it looks like there are quite a few options in the sale section, called 'Memories' for some reason.

EIM is the OTF coat king but he may not be a steadying influence if you're trying to stick to a budget. (Edit: the boy done got in first and I was entirely misrepresenting him as a profligate End Clothing regular.)
                                    All the cool outdoor kids go to Kafka now.

Comment

Sadly the Uniqlo rain mac i got did not fit me, i was surprised...but it looked a decent buy, choose the basic version at 90 quid rather that the U one.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                        All the cool outdoor kids go to Kafka now.
                                        The branding for End is gorgeous though. Those boxes.

Comment

I haven't bought from End in quite a while but their site is still a reliable destination if you want to see something that only the massively wealthy and/or totally insane would consider purchasing. £250 Thom Browne socks, that kind of thing.

Comment

Coats designed to go over a suit look uniformly awful. It is the nature of the beast - they require a boxy shape, try and protect the legs so are altogether too long. They are altogether a coat that you would not choose to buy if it were not for its purpose of wearing over a suit.

Comment

True. I quite like a Peggs & Son box too though.

End have an Armor Lux jumper that'll definitely be coming my way if I've still got the cash at the end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                Coats designed to go over a suit look uniformly awful. It is the nature of the beast - they require a boxy shape, try and protect the legs so are altogether too long. They are altogether a coat that you would not choose to buy if it were not for its purpose of wearing over a suit.
                                                I used to have a vintage London Fog mid-length mac that fitted over a jacket. It wasn't awful at all.

Comment

What....the plain brown box with END written on?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X