EU holidays for British citizens post-Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU holidays for British citizens post-Brexit

TGLW and I are thinking of taking our daughter abroad for the first time in a few years next summer. Bloody awful timing, obviously, with sodding Brexit happening in March unless we can stop it, which looks unlikely. This isn't supposed to be a moan, I'm well aware that difficulties with foreign holidays are a very trivial matter compared to the existential problems that Brexit is going to cause lots of individuals and families with regard to job losses, uncertainty of permission to live where they live etc. More just a rumination - and a few questions in case anyone is kind enough to chip in with good advice - about the additional hurdles that might face us if we do opt for a European holiday, especially one in which we take our car.

Off the top of my head:

- we'll need good medical insurance to replace the recriprocal medical treatment rights we had as citizens of a member state;

- everything will be super expensive for us because sterling will have crashed

- we'll probably need to allow several hours for queueing at ports to get on the boat, instead of 30-45 mins

- driving licences - I think I read recently that UK driving licences will probably no longer be valid around the EU and we'll need to apply for international ones, is that right?

- visas? Anyone know if we can be confident of having visa-free tourist visit rights to all EU countries after no-deal Brexit? (I'd have thought that, given the value of the British tourist trade, EU member states would be pretty daft to stop that but I suppose they might do it - despite the loss of tourist trade - to make a point in protest at the utter cuntishness which our scumbag government - supported, it's fair to say, by a sizeable malevolent percentage of the British populace - is displaying to EU citizens in Britain.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 29-09-2018, 10:55.

I'll have a go at your last question. It is incredibly unlikely that you will need visas to travel to the EU post-Brexit. You may need to queue and satisfy the border official of your intentions while visiting, but the experience will be no different to what US and Canadian citizens encounter now when they visit the UK. But it will take time. There may be some sort sort of expedited arrival system based on API (Advance Passenger Information), but I don't think that's been posited yet.

Comment

Isn’t there a non-negligible chance that the Brexiteers will insist on visas for citizens for at least some of the EU27, thereby triggering reciprocal requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
        - driving licences - I think I read recently that UK driving licences will probably no longer be valid around the EU and we'll need to apply for international ones, is that right?
        This is very unlikely. However, insurance-wise, we're probably heading back to the old days of needing a green card for vehicles being taken into the EU. Yes, you're more than likely going to have to pay for the privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Isn’t there a non-negligible chance that the Brexiteers will insist on visas for citizens for at least some of the EU27, thereby triggering reciprocal requirements?
          It depends what you mean by 'visas'. If you're talking about the traditional method of applying to an Embassy pre-travel, then the chances are extremely unlikely - the moves are more towards e-visas online, and even that is unlikely. And that's before taking into account the cost of staff needed to implement such a process. There may be a move by xenophobic right-wingers to lobby for a more stringent entry process for, say, Baltic or Balkan states, but I don't think it will attract much support.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking of the pay 10 quid at the point of entry type.

Comment

Depends when you go but by summer 2019 UK travellers might well be treated like refugees

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Obviously, the EASA question surrounds safety certificates and Open Skies Agreements, but if planes do take off and land, I would imagine that a combination of the CTA and the 1949 Ireland Act will regulate Anglo-Irish travel.

Comment

Kinda depends on whether you think there's going to be a deal or not. Because if not you will absolutely need visas, and probably of the embassy sort.

Comment

Working...
                  X