Girls Night Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls Night Out

I've mentioned Erin before. The office diva. She was a Boston Irish girl. Boston Irish aristocracy really. She remembers Ted Kennedy and Tip O'Neill coming for dinner. Her two closest friends in the office were Candace and Yolande. Candace was from the Alabama pine country, raised on a farm with five older brothers she liked a fight. She wouldn't slap you, it was a real punch. She had three passions outside of work, Maker's Mark, NASCAR and college football. Yolande was a small black girl from the Chicago projects who was raise by a single mother and worked through college and law school. Three more different girls you would not find. They were great friends.

Candace came into my office Thursday and asked me for a favor.

"Shoot."

"Erin, Yolande and I would like to do a girls night out Saturday but we need a designated driver and your Kathy doesn't drink much so...would you mind if we asked her?"

"No. Go ahead. I'm duty attorney anyway so I'm not going anywhere."

When I got home Mrs. House Cat told me Candace had called and asked and would I mind?

"No. Have fun stay out of trouble."

Saturday evening rolled around and the four of them set off in Yolande's VW to paint the town red, or at least beige.

Dozing at 3 am I was jerked awake by the phone.

"Mr. Currie? This is Farmington Police Station. I have a problem."

"Yeah?"

"I have four ladies in here. Three say they are public defenders and the other says she is married to one.'

"I'm on my way."

Jeez. DWI, assault. What the fuck have they got into?

The four of them are sitting in an interview room as I get showed in. They all pipe up at once.

"Alright. One at a time. What the hell happened? It was supposed to be a night out. How come you got arrested?

Seems that they had been to a restaurant and a couple of bars and decided to finish the night off at the Three Rivers, a large brew pub down town. In there were six guys who took a shine to the girls and made the usual approach of the country casanova. Tey were told, politely, to go away, then less politely, then "Fuck off."

Then one of the wannabe lotharios grabbed at Candace's boobs. As I said she was raised on a farm with five older brothers who taught her to fight. She punched this idiot in the teeth, dislodging one. The boys went for the girls and all hell broke loose and the girls proceeded to knock the crap out of these fancy men. The cops were called and here we all were at the police station.

I was still taking all this in when I was told that the men wanted to press charges. The girls had done a number on them. Two lost teeth, couple black eyes, somebody's ear appeared to be hanging off. Jesus! What now?

The duty DA walked in. It was David Oliver, a good bloke and a friend. "I've just spoken to our complaining witnesses in there. They are not happy."

"How about release ROR on police bail? Get 'em in front of a judge Monday?"

"I think I can do better than that."

He left the room. The girls were all looking at me. "See what David says."

Yolande spoke. "What do you think will happen?"

"You all know David. He's reasonable. Let's get you out of here for now."

Oliver came back into the room. "They aren't pressing charges."

"Why?"

"I explained to them that it will make a great story. How six macho men had their asses handed to them by four middle aged ladies..."

"Who are you calling middle aged?"

"Shut up Erin. Go on David."

"... would make great press. Papers, TV, be all over it."

"What they say."

"Drop it. You better get these wild women home."

Thanks David.I owe you one."

I followed Mrs.House Cat as she drove the girls home then we drove home together. She was quite for a while. "Sorry."

"No harm done. Apart from to those deperados you beat up."

"Anyway. I'm sorry." Then I heard her chuckling.

"What are you laughing at?

"But it was such FUN!"
    Last edited by adams house cat; 25-09-2018, 16:32.

Our firm has about 1200 lawyers.

None of them is as interesting as the least interesting of your colleagues.

Comment

"But it was such FUN!"
      I'll bet!

i'm a bit surprised no other men in the bar came to the ladies' assistance though.

Comment

Public defender work attracts a very much none corporate type. Mavericks. Bolshie trial lawyers who like to take the fight on for people who otherwise would have no voice. Sounds awfully pompous of me. But, if you don't think like that you won't survive long.

There may not be 1200 lawyers in New Mexico.

Sound like it may have not been necessary Amor. They were probably enjoying the show.

Comment

The 1200 is worldwide. It's about 550 in New York.

I knew before I entered law school that I was never going to be a litigator, let alone a trial lawyer.

It was nonetheless very interesting to watch which classmates who "absolutely wanted to get trial experience immediately" chose to become prosecutors, and which ones chose to become public defenders.

Comment

A friend from way back (friend's ex-boyfriend) went down the path of public defender in NYC. I feel he was, and remains, very well suited.

Comment

You won't last very long if you aren't

Comment

That I can believe. He was typically a person that any time we were out in bars, I suspected he might well need a public defender if I didn't guide him out of (in my view) poor decision making.

Comment

I like him already.

Comment

Just noticed all the typos in that. Should have proofed it.

Comment

Splendid story, again. Them ladies would quite well where I live, i would never dream of harass a local girl...

Comment

Another fabulous story - keep them coming, please.

And quite right, a night out with them sounds like proper fun.

Comment

I'd like to hear these read. They'd make a good podcast.

Comment

Superb!

Comment

Working...
                            X