No announcement yet.

Climate Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocked by my 118...i dont drive, recycle, fly only short haul and moderately...bummer

Comment

86% here. But minimal flying last year made a big difference. Also our house is about as green as you can get without solar or wind power, but we're not responsible for that, just inherited it.

Comment

The site does a breakdown explaining where you pick up points. 46% of mine comes from my house, primarily because it's big, detached and gas heated I guess.

Comment

124%, half of which comes from traveling.

In the traveling section I indicated that I took four flights last year and that I do everything else on foot. The tips they give me to fix my footprint start off with "you ought to cycle more", and move through "use public transport" and "drive smarter". None of those are applicable to me, unless they want me to walk less. Not the cleverest bit of the site, that.

Comment

Also only public transport is bus or train. Nowt fer Tram/urban rapid transport.

Comment

42% of Spoony's output was 'leaf combustion'.

Comment

Nobody should feel that dreadful - it really isn't about individual actions at this point. It needs government action to completely change the way our societies are based.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                  42% of Spoony's output was 'leaf combustion'.
                  Those days are gone now, and in the past they must remain. Vaping nicotine is my only inhalant vice now. Unless Amsterdam is our city break in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                    Nobody should feel that dreadful - it really isn't about individual actions at this point. It needs government action to completely change the way our societies are based.
                    I couldn't agree more with this. And to an extent I even find surveys like this unhelpful. Not just because I'm doing terribly.

When the focus is on what an individual has done, it implies that the majority of the work should be done by individuals choosing to change their own behaviour. This is utter nonsense and misleading. Changes of the size needed have to be driven from above, through heavy regulation, and through taxation, and through massive government investment in renewables and other sustainable behaviour.

Comment

105%. Which I'm pretty disappointed with given that I don't drive, don't fly, I'm vegetarian, rarely buy stuff, recycle everything and only use public transport. I guess it was keeping the place warm, not having an eco-tariff, and not having much in the way of insulation that did for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                        105%. Which I'm pretty disappointed with given that I don't drive, don't fly, I'm vegetarian, rarely buy stuff, recycle everything and only use public transport. I guess it was keeping the place warm, not having an eco-tariff, and not having much in the way of insulation that did for me.
                        I've just moved my energy contract to Bulb who are both green and cheap. Not sure how long you're locked into your present contract for but they might be worth a look.

Comment

108%.

Biggest contribution to that is the house, largely because we're not on an eco tariff (Utility Warehouse) and don't have solar (missed the jamboree days as we weren't in the house to put it up).

I feel that the travel is a bit unfair. I drive an electric car. Whilst it isn't environmentally friendly (no car is, only less damaging), I am not cycling up the A414 to work, it would take two hours by bus and there isn't a train. How on earth do I do any better?

Comment

Not exactly proud of this, but I suppose it will at least give the rest of you something to look down on, but 206%. The majority of which is travel.

Comment

One question I had - it asks you how many adults live in your house. Do children not count?

Comment

I would have thought that children would count against you, if anything, unless they're adopted or fostered. But I can see why WWF don't want to open that particular can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I've just moved my energy contract to Bulb who are both green and cheap. Not sure how long you're locked into your present contract for but they might be worth a look.
                                  I'll have a look at that. I'm also a bit miffed that my purchase of a modest telly in the past year counts against me, when it was acquired to replace one which had packed up after at least twelve years' use. I'm still using some electronic equipment that I bought over 40 years ago.

Comment

I found this a short but interesting watch: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/scienc...g-to-the-world

Comment

104%?

How the fuck has that happened?

I travel exclusively by public transport and am too tight fisted to heat the house in winter.

I just wrap up warm.

Comment

It'll tell you the breakdown, but I suspect meat eating might play a big part.

Comment

I think in order to get a low score from the World Wildlife Fund you probably need a couple of Palaces or evidence of recreational hunting

Comment

Fuck the WWF.

Comment

Bit of an eye-opener for me, having assumed that Germany was one of Europe's greener countries. The polluters are companies/industrial plants:

Comment

Lignite/brown coal is to Germany as oil sands are to Canada

Comment

209%. I cycle everywhere, eat local and use Bulb. 70% of my score was flights.

Comment

I would guess that they are all in "East" Germany.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X